Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Ford VS Chrysler

I don't want to use this site as a place to vent, but this is a car issue and we are car guys. If this is inappropriate, I will remove it. Will this new plan work?

If I understand it, our President supports a bail out plan to raise my taxes to pay for Chrysler. Does this make anyone want to buy a Chrysler???????????
I can talk because I only buy Chrysler vehicles. I own a Chrysler Van and four Dodge trucks and I will never buy another Chrysler or Dodge. I never owned a Ford, other than the motor in my Cobra and I will only buy a Ford now. I want to support a company who supports the american worker and so I hope Ford stays American and does not take the bail out marketing plan!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder, what your view is, Ford or Chrysler from a purchasing point of view. I don't want to get into the right or wrong of it all, just does this action move your purchasing preferences to or away from Chrysler.

Last edited by race-it; 05-03-2009 at 09:49 AM..
Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

I'll preface this by saying I'm a Ford guy through and through. I bleed Ford blue and my livelihood depends on Ford Motor Co.
With that said, I don't understand your arguement at all. Back in the seventies, Chrysler Corp. borrowed millions from the government and paid it all back w/ interest. Since then, you have been faithfully supporting the company. Why the change now? If in fact the admin. will not let them pay back the note (see bank litmus test), then take issue w/ this screwed up administration, not a great American Co.
If any one of the companies formerly know as The Big Three fail and go under the other two are left in serious jeopardy. The supply chain would be devestated by the loss of any one of the three. If people like yourself don't support the American car companies, they are sure to fail.
A better arguement for not buying Chrysler, is that maybe Ford or GM make a better product.
Just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have owned some of all three over the years, but I am pro Ford more than the other two. But with the UAW supporting a political party I am diametrically opposed to, then I am not sure I will even buy Fords in the future.
I will say this, if the workers at Ford were to decertify the UAW, they would not be able to make enough cars. Ford would put the big hurt on the other two, plus Honda & Toyota.
I should have posted this on April 1.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

My statement was that I would turn to Ford. That is an American Company.
The question (Not Argument) was how will the American buyer feel about buying Chrysler if they are also being taxed to keep them going? Seems a lot of PR work will be needed and buyer incentives???
Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

I'm a Ford guy as well. It was 1 billion dollars in the late 70s that Chrysler got, not just millions( unless you want to call it 1000 millions (-. Personally I was against that as well as the current one. The history of autos is strewn with companies that couldn't financially make it, for whatever reasons. I was( still am) a big fan of Studebaker....no one offered them a bail out, nor AMC( not such a fan) which was purchased by Chrysler. I support the bankruptcy procedure. If Fiat buys them, I don't care, as long as they are obligated to function separate from govt. intervention.
I have felt for many decades that there are only so many cars that can be sold every year, and we have exceeded that many times. I refused to purchase any of my children cars when they turned 16, like many parents do. Not a popular stand with the kids, but I don't feel that MOST kids are mature enough to operate a vehicle without some parental controls. Owning their own is just one way to sacrifice your parental responsibilty. I would hope that this current economic environment will put a BIG reduction in that action. That will of course mean that we are purchasing less new cars.
If Chrysler can't cut it, let them go...I don't care. I think the biggest failure of most car companies occurs when they are no longer a family enterprise, so there is no incentive to protect their assets. Ford, while a company that sells stock, is still predominantly owned by Ford family members and with all their assets they will likely mortgage anything neccesary to keep what they have. GM and Chrysler don't have that impetus. Not that Ford is infallible, I think like all car companies they make crap, I haven't purchased a new car since mandatory airbags and won't again. O.K., I purchased some Cobras and a couple Deuces of different flavors, but calling them "new" is probably a stretch even though they were.
I worked in the bike industry for about 30 years starting in the 60s and saw a similar pattern. Of course, bikes became a consumer commodity and people that weren't motorcyclists started buying large numbers of new bikes in the late 70s and into the 80s. That set up a production system that couldn't be sustained as the "next" consumer desire went in another direction. I see that as what the issue in the car industry is now. It seems that every company has to have a vehicle in every market and can't find their "niche" to focus on.
Ford would be better off if they weren't so consumed with that. If they just made trucks and really good ones, who cares if GM/Toyota/ Nissan had a part of the SUV market. The same with Mustangs, think how much better/less costly a Mustang might be if they didn't have to spend engineering/production moneys on every possible market that some other manufacturer might create. I recall when one of the Fords spoke at the Hot Rod Trade show a few years ago, his solution to their waning sales was that they were going to change the name of the 500 back to Taurus. Not that they were going to make it better/more desirable...they were changing the name. Pretty much sums up my feelings about the Auto industry as a whole.