Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Sunoco gas in Columbus, Oh?????

I checked and there are a lot of Sunoco station in Columbus. Does anyone know if they sell non ethanol gas?

Getting ready for our trip to the London Cobra show. I need good gas for the return trip home.

Dwight
Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Dwight - I don't have many Sunoco station's near by, but I have used it a few times. I looked on their web site and it looks like all their fuels with no methanol are not street legal. They have several grades of race gas including leaded, but not at every station.

I run Methanol in my 347 EFI with no problems. I thought you had EFI too.

Please read Ethanol where I typed Methanol

Last edited by olddog; 06-07-2011 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: Ethanol correction
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

You do know there is a difference between Ethanol and Methanol, right? There is essentially no Methanol in "normal" gasoline. Most fuel across the country has 10% Ethanol (E10), because our government under Bush wanted the money the corn lobby was willing to pay them for their votes. Gasoline with 10% ethanol performs very well in all cars. Older vehicles may need to replace rubber parts with ethanol resistant rubber, but you would know that by now.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B+B 351w #112
Not Ranked     

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Last edited by Jim Werth; 06-06-2011 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: wrong state
Old 06-07-2011, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
You do know there is a difference between Ethanol and Methanol, right? There is essentially no Methanol in "normal" gasoline. Most fuel across the country has 10% Ethanol (E10).
You are absolutely right. I do know there's a difference, but somehow interchange the two randomly in my head. Normally I'm anal about stuff, but fail miserably here. My bad.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
Most fuel across the country has 10% Ethanol (E10), because our government under Bush wanted the money the corn lobby was willing to pay them for their votes.
Was there a law passed or some executive order signed?

Ethanal has been going into gasoline since the mid 70's.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

What the boys and girls in Washington do not understand is that Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol) has much less energy than does gasoline. Just because it burns does not mean it's as hot. The INDY guys get big horsepower with ethanol becuse they run super high compression. The rest of us can run 9 maybe 10 to 1.

Ethanol is one of the great scams of all time. The corn farmers got this whole thing going years and years ago.

Bob
Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

ethanol does not burn very well in my chainsaw, weedeater, edger, lawn mower, cars or anything that burns gas. I pay a little more for gas without ethanol but all my stuff will run.
Helped a friend clean out the ethanol laced gas from his generator. What a mess. Had to buy some rubber parts that were ate up.

Dwight
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

There have been two Renewable Fuel Standards (RFS) passed by Congress. RFS in 2005 and RFS 2 in 2007 - So much for Bush being owned by oil companies. RFS 2 required 9 billion gallons in 2008 ethanol in gasoline to 36 billion gallons by 2022. If an oil company doesn't blend enough ethanol, they can buy credits to make up the difference. It hasn't worked out so well for small engines or boats. E10 will give you 3.5% less gas mileage over normal gasoline. The way it is blended up in the terminals, the octane is typically above the pump label. More regulations dealing with the carbon dioxide production are on the books. They say by 2040, no new cars will be sold that burn hydrocarbon fuel in California. We have needed a national energy policy for 30 years. Careful what you ask for.... At least E85 is upwards of 100 octane.