28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2003, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default spring fling 4

Does anyone know if a date is set for the fling??
I understand we can register but I can't find the site.
mike
Old 09-19-2003, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR#2625, SBF 331 stroker
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty sure it will be the same weekend year after year. Last year's site has a count down to IV event saying... 274 d, 21h 40m _s..... Here's the link http://www.dvsf.com/dvsf3/docs/home.cfm

Doug
FFR2625
Old 09-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I am not so sure it is etched in stone at this point.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-19-2003, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Virtual 2.4M
Send a message via AIM to TomH
Not Ranked     

It's not.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I thought Moses carried the tablets down from the mount, with the weekend on them......
Old 09-19-2003, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hotfingers--

I just want to run down the track with you and do a 10 sec. 1/4

Did you get that beast back on the road???

Mike
Old 09-19-2003, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Since there seems to be a huge demand for such an event, if we get the definitive word from DV that there will be one or there won't be one it is never too early to organize an alternative event.

Is there any interest?

I am NOT volunteering, I am NOT available, I am NOT interested. Others may be. We need the lead time to put everything in motion NOW.

Just floating the idea.

TURK
Old 09-19-2003, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turk---
Knowing Ed, I'm sure he will let us know in pleanty of time--I hope he is up to it again. As you know, it's a fantastic time
and it takes one heck of a commitment.

Ed, help us out here, you are going to do it again arn't you?

Mike
Old 09-20-2003, 06:48 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am in. It must go on!
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-20-2003, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

In this case, and I do understand, Silence is NOT golden. Yes, I have been working on the IV long before the end of III. A lot of questions have popped up for the future of the Fling(s) and I don't have all the answers yet.

Can they be overcome? Can we put on an event that is at least as good as the other Flings? Can it be done safely? Can we find the wonderful supporters for another Fling?

DO we make it even more commercial allowing or turning it into a Carlisle type event? If we do, will or do we take the risk of loosing the "family status" that I think all of us love and I think is the real back bone of the Fling.

The City of London wants us to take over the entire downtown area, in effect replacing the strawberry festival.

Many people want to keep the Cobras in a group, but suggest that we open it up to other groups of cars.

As much as everyone seems to love the hotels, there were some serious complaints about at least one of the chains last year. Personally I tried to contact the local CEO threatening to pull all "Flingers" out before I finally got some results. The problem is, there is not a group of hotels in the area that can handle our now huge, loud and damned impressive family.

Suggestions as to having a "party/BBQ" next to the hotels is not possible. Church owned land that will not allow "open bottles." Private property that is untouchable, and even if it was we are not eligible to obtain a "one day liquor license" as needed by law.
(I know Rick has been pushing for this area...sorry Rick-I did try this last year, resulting in the leasing of the large buses.)

If we are to do this again, we need a very, very large sponsor. Unfortunately we have not been able to convince any one yet that we are worthy of their support.

The Kirkham car was an awesome "gift" and certainly helped us go over the top last year. The reality is, we can't expect the Kirkham family to do it again, nor would it be fair to ask them to!

Personally, I feel we just barely hung onto "our roots" for the Fling III. I guess the question is, do we downsize the Fling and try to hold onto our original goals, or let it grow or see if it dies as time sees fit?

I read the thread that was started regarding a wonderful offer of rewarding me for all the time that is necessary to pull this off. What started out as a few hundred hours long ago has turned into thousands of hours, countless meeting, and innumerable phone calls for the last two Flings. I have met, and corraled some great volunteers that have put in almost as much time as I have. They wont even hardly take a nod of "thank you", let alone a monetary gift.

Guys, I do this out of the love of the cars and our amazing family. To see the hundreds of you that have traveled so far, worked so hard to get here and the knowledge that "we" are helping so many kids and young adults, is plenty reward enough.

My entire goal was to bring the Cobra family together, regardless of make. To have a single weekend where it didn't matter if you drove Cobra A or a Cobra B model. No ego's allowed. No waxing or washing allowed, except for the usual gatherings of miscellaneous bugs from our cruises. We've done that, and to me that is just one of the big things that make our family so special.

Will there be a IV? I certainly hope so.

DV...please bare with me, we're trying out best--which I know, sometimes falls short.

Last edited by Double Venom; 09-21-2003 at 05:05 AM..
Old 09-21-2003, 01:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

DV,

As always, if you need a hand, let me know.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

What would the dates be, IF it happens?
Old 09-21-2003, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

My 2 cents worth..... I missed the first 2 events.. I made it to the 3rd. event. When I got home I kicked myself all in the ass for not making the first 2 with or without a car.... Thing was some of the most fun I have ever had.. NOT running the salom course and NOT running the 1/8, but meeting all of the folks from all over the country that I have met here on these forums... Now haveing said that....

I think less could be more, The Quaker Steak and Lube was great fun... The downtown London thing was fun and needed... But to me.. the most fun was just talking and telling lies with everyone at the motels ....

DV.. the reason I have not made suggestions is , you do a awesome job.. and I don't know how you could improve..I wouldn't mind making suggestions if I could be there to help... You haveing to do all the leg work just ain't fair...

But what ever you do.. just have it... even if we don't do anything but go to London and QS and L... Oh, meeting at the Speedway every morning was worth the trip up!!!!!!.. JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 09-21-2003, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ED,
THANKS FOR RESPONDING. NOT BEING AS CLOSE TO THINGS ARE YOU ARE, I'M SURE ALOT OF THINGS HAPPENED THAT THE AVERAGE PARTICIPANT DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT.

I WOULD IMAGINE SOME PEOPLE EVEN COMPLAINED ABOUT THINGS YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OF. AS A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER, YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL OF THE PEOPLE AND WE SHOULDN'T EVEN TRY.

YOU ARE CORRECT WHEN YOU STATED THE FLING STARTED OVER SOME COOKIES AND WITH A SMALL GROUP OF PEOPLE. THE SMALL FAMILY SURE HAS GROWN AND FRIENDS HAVE BEEN MADE NATIONALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY.

I'M ALL FOR FLING #4 -- I THINK MOST PEOPLE KNOW WHAT A JOB IT IS FOR YOU -- THE AMOUNT HOURS AND COMMITMENT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY PUT INTO THIS MUST BE AMAZING. IT'S EASY FOR ME TO SAY, LETS HAVE #4, BUT I DON'T DO THE WORK--YOU AND YOUR FAMILY DO ALONG WITH SOME VOLUNTEERS.

YOU BRING UP VALID QUESTIONS, ONES THAT ARE NOT EASLY ANSWERED AND ONE'S THAT PUT YOU UNDER THE GUN WHEN YOU TRY TO PLEASE EVERONE. I'M NOT SURE HOW TO ADDRESS THE ISSUES AND THE CONCERNS YOU HAVE. MAYBE THE THING TO DO IS PUT ALL OF THE ISSUES ON THE TABLE EVEN THE HIDDEN ONES AND THEN TAKE THEM ONE AT A TIME. MAYBE A BOARD OF DIRECTORS COULD BE APPOINTED TO HELP WORK THEM OUT.

WELL, ED WHATEVER HAPPENS I'M WITH YOU AND I KNOW YOU HAVE SOME MAJOR DECISIONS TO MAKE. IF I CAN BE OF ANY ASSISTANCE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

MIKE
Old 09-22-2003, 06:32 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV, don't kill yourself over this. You work so hard to please everyone and to help CF.

I think if you did nothing more than post the dates and the hotels available people would come.

Personal thoughts not based on any sort of inside information!

- Don't bust your hump trying to round up sponsors. Every one related to Cobras knows about it. If they want to come, let them, for a fee/percentage of course!

- Don't bust your hump to make it bigger and better. It is great just the way it is.

- London by now should know what to do and if they want us, let them do it! Same with QS&L. Let them work out the police and the details. Tell them what you want and let them work it!

- If SCCA wants to do another CobraX, they are the experts and we just need to stay out of their way! They have it down to a science!

- Seems that CF is not doing their part. If they want to keep us, tell them to get on the ball. Let them round up sponsors and take care of media coverage. After all, proceeds go to them! And if they want the money, they need to do some work!

- There is enough party at the motels! No need to bust a hump and do another. Take the night off and come enjoy the family!

- Put an individual in charge of each event. Educate them , and have them take care of the details and enlist their own team to help them. Lots of willing and able people. Spend more of your time enjoying!

- Charge enough to cover expenses. Seems to me that would have been about $150 a car this year. You can't go the movies and McDonalds three days in a row for $150 dollars. Shoot I took the kids to Cedar Point for one day and that was $500.

- You can not please all the people all the time. If the whiners don't like it, there are plenty of other events for them to whine about.

- Last but most important, discover what it takes for you, find the balance, so that you will want to do this every year for the rest of your life!!!!!!!!! There would be a lot of broken hearts if the Fling ended. But you must do what is best for you. As Jamo once said (yes I am going to quote Jamo) "The Fling heals all".

The "Flingers" seem to enjoy most:
- getting together
- thrilling the public

The rest is icing.

Just some thoughts, ramblings. May be nothing here at all!

I look forward to the Fling all year long. I can't begin to express what you PERSONALLY have done for me. To help me become involved in the Cobra family, the guidance, the help, the support and everything you do with the Fling for myself and all involved. Thank you.

YOU do good work!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CACC Member. Power Performance, 2X4's, 428
Not Ranked     

Rdorman, man you said it all!! The Fling is an institution that has to continue. That being said, I agree that it can't all fall on Ed's HUGE shoulders! In this electronic, connected age, we should be able to spread out the work load. Perhaps certain groups (Gasholes, the Texas Club or my own Capital Area Cobra Club) could be in charge of certain areas of the Fling. AS you so elequently put it, it doesn't have to bigger or better, it just has to be! I am also volunteering to help in any way that I can.
Larry
Old 11-08-2003, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rouch 351 Cup
Send a message via Skype™ to orionlearn
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Note To Ed! Delegation & Innovation

Ed, you desrve all of the praise you get! I so thoroughly enjoyed my first Spring Fling at DVSF III. If there was any regret, it was the feeling that I had that I wanted to do more and be a part of the effort. I kinda felt like a spectator even though my entry fee went to the cause! It is hard to describe.

Ed, I agree with Larry and the tone of most of the threads. I have too many thoughts to elaborate, so I will bullet some ideas.

1) I agree with Larry that it would be good to break up the event and delegate the management and promotion to clubs that volunteer. Not only is that fair to your efforts, but I think that each event would take on a life of its own based on innovation of the various clubs. My sense is that Capital Area Cobra Club would certainly step up to the request!

2) I think that it is time for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to become more involved than it appears they have been. $100k+ is a big contribution. Being in the DC area, I would volunteer to climb into my Armani suit and lobby for help and more support.

3) I think we have to innovate to get sponsorships. My sense is if each car owner would try to get, a $1 a mile that they drive to the Fling and contribute it to the cause. Their effort could be recognized in some form and the first night dinner. Sort of like the "walk-a-thons approach. Not a requirement, but an option of how individuals could pitch in. It is one of many ways to get the $s and people can feel like they are contributing.

4) I think clubs should make an effort to seek corporate sponsorship from their respective regions. Each club car would have a poster next to their car with a list of sponsors and logos. Maybe a large sponsor would have a decal on the cars from the clubs. These sponsors would be recognized by their donations at the first dinner.

5) Many of the DVSF family are professionals with very specific skills that could be tapped. Namely, if we had a PR firm doing some Pro Bono work for the Fling, we could get National exposure.

By the way Ed, I ran a charity sailboat race for a number of years in San Diego Bay. We tried to downsize the thing and it just got bigger. When I learned to delegate and let go, it took off!

6) The town of London was marvelous! What a great slice of America! Of the many people I met, they all seemed to want to help when they learned that all of the show was for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. I am wondering if there is a way to include them more in the organization?

7) I parked my motorcoach at the Fairgrounds and camped there with a couple of other Cobra's. Seems like a place wanting more action like a special event. That maybe a good place for a BBQ or we can create a Cobra Corral for those wanting to camp.

8) I do not want my last bullet to appear to be taking andvantage of the kids with CF. It seems to me that the event has been about Jenny as a focal point of the CF effort. Maybe, we need to figure out how to bring more kids into the event. Being careful to not make them individually a focal point, but to give them hope that people out there, that they don't even know, really care. They could ride in the parade and be a part of the day. I am a big believer in the power of the human spirit and it seems like the energy you have created should be shared with those with the affliction. There is always hope when people care.

Ed, Just a bunch of ideas! Ideas are only great when they are implemented. You need to ask us to help and individuals and clubs need to step up!

Off all the ideas I have heard, I think Larry's idea to get clubs to sponsor and organize the events! Second, we need CFF to be more involved and third, corporations need to sponsor this event by sponsoring clubs and attendees.

Ed, I have read many of your threads about how overwhelmed you were with the outpouring and sponsorships. Just ask for help and I think you will be more overwhelmed!

I want to block my calendar now!

Just start a thread asking for help and see what happens.

Regards,

Bob
Old 11-11-2003, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Here it is November already and there is no word at all on the DVSF IV. I can't believe that as a family we would allow this wonderful charity event to end. I have attended the last three events and traveled over 2,000 miles one way to do so. I have contribued
and enjoyed the event eminsley. I don't know what the answer is to carry on but I do know that it is a shame that someone does not pick up the cause and carry on in the sake of CF. Small children with an awful decease suffer everyday and if I can raise money to help that cause then I feel like I have helped in a small way.
Ed, whether you like it or not you owe it to the FAMILY to tell us what's the deal. Are we coming next year or is it done? We don't have to top every year with a better monetary response. Just to help the best we can is good enough.
It is a lot for one person to do alone. I think that you should pass the torch over to the CF foundation or to the city of London and let them carry on the responsibility of running the event. After all, it benifits both concerns and I think they are capable of doing the job right as they have a good diagram from the past.
I know you have a living to make and time is money. You have started a beautiful thing and It is time to let others carry the torch.
At this point in time it is essential that the people need to know if they can make plans to participate next year. If you know what the situation is and can say if the event is happening then please let us know.
It was a good thing that the Kirkhams donated the car but I seriously doubt that this would prevent people from attending.
This truley is a great event that raises a significant amount of funds for CF. I don't see how anyone would turn their backs on this.
Ed, I luv ya" man. I hope and pray you do well, for all the neat things you have done from a chocolate chip cookie to the huge event that has happened. No matter what happens you will be a hero to me. One that picked up the cause and brought it along .

Hersh
Old 11-11-2003, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4285, Shelby aluminum block 427, 40th Anniversary Model # 5
Not Ranked     
Default DVSF IV

Ed---

Need a sponser--need help planning--need help---??

As was posted earlier--deligate. There are clubs out here that are active and would love to help--let us.........

Mark

Last edited by Mark Roe; 11-12-2003 at 10:33 AM..
Old 11-12-2003, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys,

I was just out looking around the internet and found June 23-26, 2004 listed as the dates for the strawberry festival.

http://www.londonstrawberryfestival.com/index.htm

I see that they include the COBRA car event.

ben