10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-12-2003, 08:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I for one very, very much hope and pray that there will be a DVSF IV. It holds such a special place in my and my wifes' heart, since we left DVSF III with a special present...our first child, a boy, to be born around March 14th, 2004. It will forever have incredible meaning to us.

It was such a great event. Got to connect names with faces, saw beautiful cars, had a wonderful time, and most importantly, raised a ton of money for CF.

I know so many people have volunteered to help. What do you think, DV?? Late June in London, Oh???

If there is no way DVSF IV can happen in London, Ohio, I'd be willing to help try to put it together here on the East Coast. I was almost afraid to post this comment, because I do NOT want to take the Fling away from Ohio or DV. As I said, it has great meaning to my wife and I, we're very much looking forward to cruising London Ohio again with our newborn son. I'm just willing to try to step up if need be.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.

Last edited by klayfish; 11-12-2003 at 08:33 AM..
Old 11-12-2003, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Double Venom

As much as everyone seems to love the hotels, there were some serious complaints about at least one of the chains last year. Personally I tried to contact the local CEO threatening to pull all "Flingers" out before I finally got some results. The problem is, there is not a group of hotels in the area that can handle our now huge, loud and damned impressive family.
Ed, you and your staff do a wonderful job. No one blames you for the hotels because that is THEIR business, but you'd think they would want to actually run it like a business. Read on...

I agree about the hotel problem. I've heard of numerous incidents by hotels, but I'm not sure if it's one in particular or all combined. Certainly there will be mistakes when dealing with huge crowds, however, when the hotel goes out of it''s way to make it even WORSE after the fact, OBVIOUSLY they could care less if we come back... and that's not an attitidue I'd want to patronaize with my hard earned cash.

I stayed at the Cross Country Inn at the Hillard location and they basically robbed me blind! I have never been so shocked in my life when the charges on my credit card showed up DOUBLE their rate. That was not even close to the shock I got when calling them on it...

They charged me for TWO days extra passed my Sunday departure. They were grossly rude on the phone and the corporate HQ was worse! They told my wife on the phone "too bad, your husband called and you stayed Monday and Tuesday and we have proof." They said they had maid records, yet when asked for them, none were provided.

After disputing with my credit card company I discovered the Cross Country sent in the general registration paper you sign when you walk in the door to register. It just had a place to sign until you check out. THEN after I left they added the Monday and Tuesday charges to it after I left.

I assumed it was a mistake due to the confusion of the business, but their instant defiance, rudeness and lack of care to even look into it told the story. Their answer was "if you don't like our billing procedures, there are other hotels to stay at."!!!

When I provided them with my fuel charges I put on my card that tracked my 500 mile route back home (when I supposedly was staying there those two extra days), they changed their story and stated I now REGISTERED for 4 days, not two. Now they claim that I let someone ELSE stay in my room for those two extra days and that I am responsible for that room after I left... yet, they hade the keys we submitted on checkout... on sunday morning with everyone else! Hmmm.

The only difference between getting robbed by a thug on a street and by the Cross Country hotel staff and management, is that at least you have a chance to knock the gun out of the *thugs* hand before being robbed.

/Randall
Old 11-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default The Fling 4

DV,

I know it must be tough, trying to figure it

all over again, I wouldn't know where to start.

If you need any help I'm there.

Sponsors? Miller? Kraft? Donations?

Hey I'm a Real estate broker,

I have no shame when it comes to asking people for money!

Especially when it's for a great cause.

Your freind in Chicago

Arcenio
Old 11-12-2003, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Similar horror stories regarding Cross Country. Ours started long before we got there, continued while we were there, and some unauthorized charges saw to it that they continued after we left.

Never again! Never say never, right? WRONG!
NEVER!

TURK
All this is NOT Ed's fault. I have stayed at from $10.00 a night to $1000.00 a night hotels. Yes some get uppity during times of high demand. I haven't seen the likes of Cross Country from top to corporate before.

Yup.! NEVER again.

TURK
Old 11-12-2003, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Turk...

If more than one got royally screwed by the Cross Country, does that mean we got gang...? whoops. We won't go there.

Boy you pulled the words right out of my mouth, in fact rather typing them here I'll just copy yours -

"...I haven't seen the likes of Cross Country from top to corporate before..."

That is EXACTLY the best descripition there could be regarding the Cross Country Inns! I am still shocked at everything I saw and experienced from them, both before I got there, while I was there and months after I left. I had to sit down and take a double take to make sure I was really beleiving whatI was seeing!

I'm not done with them, as they still have my money! I'm sure they got other's too. I begin to wonder if leaving my valuables in their hotel was even safe anymore... did everyone check their suitcases before they left?

Pretty darn scary. and you are correct... NEVER-EVER again. EVER!

/Randall
Old 11-12-2003, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

just curious - not having attended the first 3 events, but fully planning to attend the next one - what is the attraction to London OH? Is it because of continuity with the previous events?

Seems to me a small town has limited hotel availabilty to start with. Is it just sentiment because the first 3 events were held there?

I do appreciate it is somewhat central, but somewhere like Atlantic City or some other convention town may jump at a chance to host something like this....

Just askin'...

Bruce

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 11-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Yes but Atlantic City, thats on the wrong coast for a whole lot of us--London, OH though not really centrally located is a good venue--guess one had to be there
Old 11-12-2003, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
To me the Motels aren't the most important aspect of the Fling.
I have never stayed at one of the "HOST" motels. I stay right in London at the Knights Inn. There is a few others that do the same. There has got to be at least 10 to 15 motels within a 20 mile circle of London. Springfield has a bunch and it is only 2 0r 3 more miles away from London than the places you have all been staying. Yes I know, it's west of London. It seems that the big hang up here is the Motel gatherings. Yep, they're fun and you get to hang with all the guys. But this is not a good reason to not have the Fling in London. I used to go to the NHRA Nationals every year and I never stayed within 10 miles of the event grounds and I still had a good time.
Part of the fun of the event is the driving, so what's the big deal if you have to find motels that are a little further out. It CAN be done if somebody that lives around there would take a look around and find the right motels.
I have an idea that might go over. I was thinking that if the towns folk wanted us there then I think there is a neat way to do it. What if they turned the airport into a cruizin drive inn after 6 or 7 PM. They could use food vendors that could serve drive inn type food...burgers, fries shakes..you know the usual. Heck you can even have Dominoes set up out there and make pizza. There won't be a parking problem and everybody can hang out for as long as they like. If you want you can even have a DJ spinning records and people dancin'
To me, that airport has a lot of potential especially after the sun goes down.

Just an idea....

Hersh
Old 11-12-2003, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Man, this is all news to me regarding the hotels. I didn't know there was a problem.. My wife and I stayed at the Hampton (at least I think it was the Hampton), and it was great.. I had just assumed that everyone was well taken care of..

That's it, I'm staying at Dorman's house the next time...
Old 11-12-2003, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Ed,

First and foremost, you can't do this all by yourself. You know that, and we know that. You're either going to earn your living by building cars at Classics by Elite, form a business relationship with Don Scott and sell improved Classic Roadsters (this combination could go toe-to-toe with Superformance, Factory Five, and ol' Shel, hisself), organize and promote DVSF every year. Or some combination thereof. But... you have to be able to retire on whatever combination you choose. Charity is great, but it doesn't pay the house note, or grocery bills.

Like Street Rods, and Harley Davidson, DVSF is now an annual event whenever, and wherever you choose to have it.

There are NHRA, SCCA, and SACC formats, participation, and sponsorships that are planned annually. DVSF needs to get programed into all three, or more.

Looking at my own professional field, the moneymakers for professional conferences are vendor exhibit booths, technical presentations that lead conference participants to visit exhibit booths, and result in SALES.

The participating Hotels should have had the exhibit booth areas overflowing with every vendor imaginable with the latest, and greatest. Tech sessions covering every "How to" in building Cobras from basic to advanced should be well attended. DVSF does not have any of this, yet this is where the $$$ for the event are generated.

Conferences I attend professionally are oil spill conferences, hazardous chemical spill and hazardous waste dumpsite conferences where vendors present (during their tech sessions), and exhibit at their exhibit booths, their latest and greatest. These "Booths" cost a pretty penny, but are justified by the revenue they generate. DVSF should have these tech sessions by vendors, and exhibit booths at the main Hotel as revenue generators.

Anyway, elicit Cobra Clubs to assist with this, and consider moving DVSF from East to West so everyone can participate.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4047 power by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Sounds to me like cross country needs a lesson....cobra style. Load 'em up with reservations with last minute cancelations
Roland
Old 11-12-2003, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by valpodoc

Sounds to me like cross country needs a lesson....cobra style. Load 'em up with reservations with last minute cancelations
Roland

Roland,

Uhhh, I think they need your credit card for a reservation...
Old 11-13-2003, 04:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CACC Member. Power Performance, 2X4's, 428
Not Ranked     
Default Cross-Country

I don't know how wide spread the problems were at the Cross-Country Inn at the Fling. I've stayed there for two years now, and have had no problems whatsoever.
Larry
Old 11-13-2003, 06:09 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

IT MUST GO ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If DV can not continue, we must find a way to follow in his footsteps.

If the hotels where an issue (and sorry Al/Casaleenie, I am getting a room this year!), then are are plenty more. There are a group of three between last years hotels and the Lube. Eight miles further from London but much closer to the Lube, Easton, etc. Still on the outer belt.

Ameri Suites, Baymount and Drury Inn. All together at 6161, 6145 and 6170 Park Center Circle. Total of 371 rooms. Is that enough, or do we need more?

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 11-13-2003, 07:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think finding hotels is the biggest issue. There are so many of them around.

The bigger issue is just getting the ball rolling.

DV, where are you???? Oh fearless leader...... we look to you for guidance.

Steve

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:23 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Plenty of hotels but finding enough together that are willing to work with us is another story. Sure we could stay scattered all over he!! and back but the hotel sceen is just so popular.

I hope I didn't over step my bounds here but I sent a note to all three hotels asking if they would be interested in accomidating our group. We will see what they say. Eight miles furthur to London is nothing.

I know DV is EXTREMELY busy with everything he has going on. Just look at his appairent decline in posts here on CC. Hopefully he will through us a bone soon!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 11-13-2003, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello too all. This is DV's son, DVJR. We have been collectively reading every and all posts on this matter. Sit tight and please have patience. DV has been running back and forth to Michigan for the last couple of months and things will calm down soon. We will be bringing everyone up too date shortly.

The dates for the Double Venom Spring Fling IV are..............

June 25, 26, 27. Friday through Sunday and I strongly suggest if at all possible, for everyone to arrive the evening of Thursday, June 24.

The reason will become clear very soon.

DVJR......Rick hold off please...we are working on the hotels as we speak.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hopefully in between the Fling and Michigan you guys can spare a little time to work on my car,

Ernie
Old 11-13-2003, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As we speak sir.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Wooohoooo!!!! I'm there!

DVJR, thanks for giving us those dates. Wow, you even type like your father. A true chip of the 'ol block. Awesome!!

Steve

Last edited by klayfish; 11-13-2003 at 10:46 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: