Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default NASA and Tuner Triple Crown at Mid-Ohio

For those of you that did not attend you missed a fun event!

I went down Saturday monring in the Cobra to check out the action. The NASA racing was very good. I watched rounds in the FF5 spec series, vette/viper challenge, spec miata, time trials and more.

There where 11 Cobras racing (my count) in a field of 46 cars including some very serious looking Mustangs and Vettes. The race was unfortuniatly cut short to 10 laps do to an unfortuniate incident with one of the Cobras. The NASA second position in the points lead driver got into the rear of another Cobra. The quick jack punctured his radiator and the nose was torn up. BUT that did not stop him! He kept it out on the track until the notorious turn nine got the best of him. Up against the outside wall, the right front suspension took almost all the force. Driver was fine but the car is going to need some work! Right front suspension torn from its mounts and a nasty little kink in the frame rails. The other Cobra received only minor damage and was able to continue. For those of you in the Richmond Virginia area, the NASA nationals are only two weeks away and I bet he could use some help if he is going to make it!

For those not familiar with turn eight it is a on camber steep uphill left that crests at the apex and then drops suddenly and goes to off camber! With the wall right there waiting for you!

He was probably better off than the BMW that blew his engine at the end of the back straight, dumped oil all over the place, could not stop and went straight off the end of the back straight off turn 7 into the gravel and rolled the car. The had to diaper the car to get it back to the pits. Driver was just fine!

Another incident involving one of the 'extreme' Mustangs left him on the flat tow. A spin near station 11 left his drivers side facing traffic. He got hit pretty good between the front bumber and suspension on the passenger side. Driver once again was thankfully just fine. Later when looking at the damage on the car in the pits I did not notice any coolant anywhere. The radiator (a Fluiddyne) was smashed up so that the left side was a good four inches higher than the right side........ and it was not leaking! You heard me right, the system was holding pressure!

Lots of cars from Panoz, FF5, msutangs, vettes, BMW, closed cockpit GT type cars etc. Overall some fun racing to watch! Met plenty of Cobra fans and made some new Ohio connnections! Not to mention free Coronas from NASA after the event!

The tuner boys (and girls ) where all there. The had style, sound and performance competitions all weekend. I say one Db reading over 132Db in the sound competition, a 1000HP four banger with NO N.O.S., gullwinged Tiberons (who would of thought) and all kinds of 'bling'. These where NOT the kids with the fart cans and bolt on wings eyeing you at ever stop light. There was some serious coin floating around there and the attention to detail was outstanding.

Of course all the vendors had to show up. GM, G Sport, Jegs, etc, etc, etc. Lots of free stuff and displays.

During all of this there where drifting displays, trick motorcycle riding (those guys are nuts!), and dyno runs.

After the NASA guys where all finished up, the tuners took to the track. But not for open tracking! They had a measured distance to accelorate as hard as they could and then come to a complete stop in a 'box' on the front straight. Unfortuniately they where not giving top speeds but this was the length of the front straight and I was hearing 0-?-0 times in the low 12's! After the 0-?-0 run they would head over to the end of the back striaght for a run at the esses. Starting at about the 200 foot marker they would stand on it and go through turns 7-9 (read turn 8 discription above) and recieve a segment time at the end of the run. Interestingly enough, one of the fastest cars through this segment was an Impala SS!!! I never even thought of this type of car in the tuner crowd but there it was, and it was quick!

Aside from the people I met, one of the things I enjoyed the most was the contrast of 'new and old'. I parked just 'downwind' of the Tuner show at one point to go and check out the cars. While I was taking pictures and looking at their cars, I turn to see groups of them going to do the same with my Cobra! There is and can be a mutual respect, admiration and cooperation between the groups. These guys after all are modern hot rodders running what they can get their hands on.............. just like we used to do.

Pictures will be along after a while. If this event comes back to Mid-Ohio next year, I give it two thumbs up!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-24-2004, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR spec racer
Not Ranked     

Rick,

Not sure if I met you at the event or not. I was the yellow FFR, Rat Racing Graphics. One small correction and addition to your report. Saturdays race was red flagged and shortened due to the 2 American Iron Mustangs getting together back in Thunder Alley, not Rob Mau's FFR into the wall in the Esses. He actually got into the wall on the restart lap. Both Mustangs were destroyed. One driver was ok but the other spent a little time in the hospital where it was decided that he had a broken leg and several bones in his foot. However they did not have to do surgery. He left with a cast.

It was a great event and I'm glad you enjoyed the show.

Brian Sanders
OH/IN FFR Challenge Series Director
www.RatRacingGraphics.com
Old 08-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks very much Brian. I was in the esses when Rob got into the wall and I was not sure why the race was stopped. The driver that was hurt was that the one that got hit or did the hitting? Glad to hear he is OK. I spoke to Rob for a while during the race, and after, nice guy. Shame to be out so close to the end of the season. I hope he can get it back on the road.

I recall talking to you. I tried to get around and talk to all the Cobra guys. It was great to see all of you on the track! Really giving me the itch!

I checked out your site Brian. Guys are always looking for meatball, class number etc. around here.

Thanks again
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-24-2004, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear I missed a fun event! I was in German Village shopping with my girlfriend's parents................nice time, one of those "gotta do it's" but I really wanted to check out this new event.

My best friend, who has a couple of food concessions at Mid-Ohio said that turnout was absolutely horrendous. He said that with about 20 times the spectators, it would've been a truly awesome weekend. I told him that if it was as neat as he described, I'm sure word of mouth will help it grow at Mid-Ohio. Unfortunately, this new weekend is kind of a "replacement" (at least from a time-of-season perspective) for the old CART races. Probably not much overlap from a spectator perspective.

With time, a worthwhile event will probably draw more people.

Jason, my buddy, was telling me about the drift competitions and then the drift exhibitions. Said that there was an '86 Corrolla that was doing some beautiful stuff.

This sounds like something I just need to see once...people you wouldn't expect to see doing things you wouldn't expect them to do in cars you wouldn't expect to be doing those things. Definitely worth seeing!

The last part of my visit with the girlfriend's parents saw us out on my back deck, about 1.5 miles (as the crow flies) from Mid-Ohio. I could hear that there were V8's out on the track and I was aching to make the 4 minute drive. It just wasn't in the cards. Maybe next year!!

Glad to hear it was an enjoyable event!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:32 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shopping, in Germanvillage

Seriously though, the spectator turn out stunk. But that left no lines and lots of good spots for me!

I forgot to mention the drifters through the esses. It was amazing to watch them go through turn eight hanging the rear out, WAY OUT! That turn always gave me pause and they where going through it big time sideways!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-24-2004, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR spec racer
Not Ranked     

"I forgot to mention the drifters through the esses. It was amazing to watch them go through turn eight hanging the rear out, WAY OUT! "

So were the cobra's......we just don't get style points :0

I'm not sure if it was the hitter or the hitee that went to the hospital.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well Brian you should of! You guys looked great out there. I always enjoyed watching the laps the Cobras where inching up through the pack!
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com