28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2005, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 with 373's
Not Ranked     
Default Going to the Drag strip, any interest?

Would there be any interest in going to any central Ohio dragstrip? I know that Nationaltrail Raceway has Wednesday and Friday night racing along with Pacemakers.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just a thought...

The local guys here talked about it and I was surprised to find, just like me too, hardly ANY of the Cobra owners had ever been to the drag strip. At the time the strip was open Friday and Saturday night. Friday is like "practice", $6 bucks and "run what you brung", real layed back, no pressure and very few "fans". That was perfect for us, a bunch of newbies. Saturday night is BIG, lots of fans and pressure!

We made it clear amongst ourselves we would not be racing against each other, no one "burning up" the track, just go, have a good time and see what it was like. Man we had a ball and have gone back several times since.

Maybe you Ohio guys are different and race ready! But you might consider leaving room for they guys who have never run before, encourage them and no pressure! Perhaps a more laid back Wednesday in your case would be a good approach for the "newbies". Have fun was our goal and NOT break anything!

I still ran in the 11's.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I completely agree, and I believe that Wednesday nights are points night and Friday nights were street legal drags. I have heard alot of comments about only being able to run 2-3 times in 5 hours, however when I was there last fall on Friday nights there were only 20 or so cars and it was very laid back with only a handful of people watching. I also do not want to hurt the car as I will be driving to and from the dragstrip.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jeff, Great idea!!

I'd love to go!

I've had the same idea for a few months now...glad that you posted.

I've never drag raced before and have no idea how everything works. Like you, I plan to drive there, have fun, and drive home. No interest in breaking anything.

The OCC's next meeting is this Tuesday....please come if you can.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We figured out how to drag race the very first night. Heres how you do it. When the OTHER car leaves, follow him. He WILL leave before YOU do.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My kid has football practice Monday thru Thursday 6-8, but Friday night sounds good. I have been to watch the drags since I was 10 , but have never went down the track, so it would be my first time also.What I do know is that National Trail Raceway in Kirkersville is a 1/4 mile track, and Pacemakers in Mount Vernon is an 1/8 th mile. Keep me posted and I will join you at either place.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #20 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Sounds interesting. I haven't been to a drag strip in over 25 years! That was as a 16 year old banging gears in a 69 Mustang with a 428 Cobra Jet engine. My first time there I made 18 runs! Talk about clutch abuse.....back then it was $5 to run Sundays for time only. I'm sure that I wouldn't recognize National Trails Raceway now with all the changes.
Should be a good topic for Tuesday night.
John
Old 08-01-2005, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Any idea on tech and safety requirements? Helmet? I don't know if my Motorcycle helmet will be OK....
Old 08-01-2005, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Project "X" underway....twin turbo V6, AWD...
Not Ranked     

That is the biggest issue with drag racing MOST cobras.....safety inspection.

Most will not pass, IF the track enforces NHRA safety rules. Because they are convertibles, and most have the potentail to run pretty quick times, there are a number of requirements.

If a track is fairly relaxed on the rules, you may be ok.

Remember, though, the safety rules are there for a reason!

If you go, be careful, and have fun!
~Dave
Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The inspection here wasn't to bad, roll bar for an open top car was all. How FAST you go determines what happens next. When I was running 12's, no problem. When I started running 11's (I finally figured out how to launch) I had to have:
1. Arm restraints (about $35 from Jegs).
2. Nomex Jacket (on sale locally for $50).

Get into the tens here and you have to have a cage.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK...I found some info:

This is from: http://teamccaudio.com/street_legal_rules_costs.htm

COST, RULES & GUIDELINES

Gates Open: 5:30, event runs until 11pm

Admission Cost: $10 per street car

$15 if car comes in on a trailer

· All street cars must pass a “tech” inspection for safety

· Seatbelts required

· Shirts with sleeves and long pants required (no nylon apparel)

· Open to all licensed drivers 18 or older. If a minor must have parents or guardian consent in person. Both parents consent will cover minor driver for entire season.

· Cars faster than 13.99 require a helmet

· Passengers OK if 16 or older and car is 13.99 or slower

And this is from: http://teamccaudio.com/street_legal_drags.htm

What to expect, what to do, when you race in the

Columbus Car Audio Friday Night Street Legal Series

Gates open at 5:30. Expect a line to get in, but not a long wait, usually no more than 15 minutes. You will get your “tech card” at the gate. Race fee for street cars is $10. You must have a driver license to race, If you are under 18, your parent or guardian must sign for you. If you get both parents to sign, you are good for the entire season. You can choose your competitor or compete against anyone!

Your tech card is a check list that the tech inspection crew will use when they check your car for safety. Drive to the rear (north) end of the facility. There you will see cars lined up with their hoods open. Get in line, and fill out the personal information requested on the card (name, address, etc.) This information will be entered by the crew in the timing tower, and it will be used by the announcer to broadcast your name, etc. when you come up to race. The tech inspector will write a car number on your window with shoe polish. If your car is faster than 13.99 seconds, you will need to wear a “Snell 90” approved helmet. (The label is on the inside). Shirts with at least short sleeves and long pants (no nylon “wind pants”) are required.

Once you have been through tech, you are ready to race. Get in line in the staging lanes. There will be a track employee that “pulls the lanes” and directs you to the ready line. Here you will stop momentarily while the timing system operator in the tower enters your car number in the computer. There will be a track person stationed at the ready line who will direct you to the starting line once they get the signal from the timing tower.

Your next stop is the “water box” Here you can spin your tires (“do a burnout”) to heat them for better traction and to remove debris that may be stuck to your tires. If you do not want to do a burnout, there will be room to drive around the water and head to the starting line.

Now you approach the starting line. You will notice the darker area of the pavement where there is a lot of rubber on the track. (The “groove”). Line up in the groove and watch the starting line tree. As you move slowly forward, the first small yellow light at the top of the tree will illuminate, that means you are “pre-staged”. Move forward about 6 more inches and the second light will come on. You are now staged, and the starting line system is activated, A succession of 3 yellow lights will come on at ½-second intervals, and then the green. Try to anticipate the green, as it takes your vehicle a moment to build momentum and begin moving. Foot to the floor, you are testing the abilities of you and your car. As you pass the scoreboards lift off the throttle and begin to brake gently – never abruptly. At the very end of the track is a turn to the right, and you will come to the “time slip” booth. There you will receive a slip of paper with all the information from your race, and whether you won or lost.

And that’s it! Head back to the staging lanes to continue racing, or find yourself a place in the pits to visit with your friends and check out the cars.

Enjoy yourself at National Trail Raceway, and drive your car to the limit without worrying about tickets, losing your license, or the dangers of illegal street racing.

“Race the Strip, Not the Street”

The Columbus Car Audio Friday Night Street Legal Drags

For more information, go to www.nationaltrailraceway.com

Pretty cool!!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We all went around the water box as we found it made no appreciable difference in traction. Maybe it depends on what kind of tire you run? Plus, we didn't want to risk damaging anything. One guy drove THROUGH the water box straight to the line, that was an interesting and entertaining "launch"! He burned all the way through 2nd as well.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When are we going Rob?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update

The www.unitedfordowners.com is going to have a drag day at Pacemakers Dragstrip on April 30th, with a rain date of May 7th. This track is an 1/8th mile strip. I am not sure of the tracks rules. Try the web-site above for more info.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I may be interested, 1/8 to start is fine by me. No roll bar though......

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 03-20-2006, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not sure of the safety rules at that track, but will try to find out.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #20 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Jeff,
I'm going to pencil that in. Soungs like fun. Will your car be ready?
Mt Vernon is a nice drive also.
John
Old 03-28-2006, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My car will not be ready until the middle of May, it is at the painters now. I would have liked to go but will have to wait till a later time.