Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none yet
Not Ranked     
Default Hoping to become an owner

Hi everybody. Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Mark from Akron and hopefully will become one of you (Cobra owner that is), once I can locate the right car. I'm interested in buying a used one. I've got a bunch of questions, but the ones that I'd really like to get an answer to have to do with tiitle/registration issues and the dreaded e-check we have in some of these northern counties. Does anybody get their Cobra echecked, and how are they titled? I really would also appreciate the opportunity to discuss the million or so particulars that actually have to do with the cars with somebody that has some time to spare....I'll buy....
Old 08-04-2005, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Self Built, 427 USRRC, 427FE, Toploader
Not Ranked     

greast dane,
Find a local Factory Five owner, most sell under $30k, buy her and rebuild the items you want.
You have elimnated all but title xfer.
grumpy
Old 08-04-2005, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 with 373's
Not Ranked     

Give me a call, I have a factory five for sell. Even if you are not interested in my car I can let you look at and we can take it out for a spin so you can see what options you might want in yours. Just e-mail me at jpland90@aol.com and I will send you my number. I am located east of Columbus about 3 miles from the 70-270 split. Jeff
Old 08-04-2005, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Make sure you understand the local registration details before you buy anything. In CA, I decided to build a kit and add my own 1965 289 to comply with CA emissions. Buying a used car and then finding it out that it doesn't comply with local registration laws does not exonerate you---in fact, you may end up with some liability on your hands.

The other bit of advice is to not buy the first Cobra you get the hots for. I got interested in Cobras before I could manage it financially, and the car I would have purchased three years ago is very different from what I finally decided to buy. There is a lot of nuances between the different manufacturers, so be a knowledgable buyer and do your research first. (hint: not all Cobra replica bodies are the same; and some are even exaggerated interpretations of the original car).

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 08-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Dane,

Doug is right on the money. Research and learn to recognize variations between manufacturers. Some cars are stretched 2", some wider to incoporate mustang donor, and quality?

Look at re-sale value too. A home built kit with solid axle will never attract the dollars spent like factory built IRS car. know your limitations too, whatever you get will cost more money than the original cash outlay. Hence know the MFG and reputation thereof.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Hey, there is an FFR for $25000.00 from Wayniac being posted right now.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I plan on going to the OCC cruise in at the Bogey Inn this weekend to check out some cars and hopefully talk with some owners. I appreciate all the good advice cause at this point the main thing that's pushing me towards owning a Cobra replica is the look of the car. I've never actually ridden in or driven one so I don't really have any personal experience with what it's like to own and drive one. I've had other sports cars and currently have a C5 vette which I'll be keeping, but I'm betting that there's a lot of difference between my vette and most Cobras. I will spend up to the low 40's for the right car, but it definitely has to be the right one. And I still can't seem to get an answer with regards to the e-check inspections that are mandated up here in some northern Ohio counties. Is there anybody on this board that has dealt with this?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Look forward to meeting you on Saturday. Check the members list for people that live in you area on www.ohiocobraclub.com. There are phone numbers and email addresses. Drop them a dime, I am sure they will be glad to help. Call Frank Kleines, also on the list, he lives up north and has been involved in a number of cars.

Definiately different than a C5! Prepare to be bitten.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is some info (google is a wonderful thing!)
http://www.ohiobar.org/pub/lycu/index.asp?articleid=382
http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/eche..._info/faq.html
http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/eche...#whatisawaiver
http://www.newsrecord.org/media/pape...d-881851.shtml
http://www.robbernard.com/archives/cat_ohio.html
http://www.americasvoices.org/archiv...rDJ_090603.htm

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Greatdane:
I live north of you in Macedonia. I built and Antique & Collectible cobra and got it titled in 2001. If you buy a used cobra it depends on how it is titled whether you will be required an "E" check. If it is titled as a 60's vintage cobra, you will not be required to get an E check.
Mine is titled as a 2001 ASVE 1967 Replica 427 Cobra. I have a 351W and the block has 1970 casting numbers on it. I took that information to a regional Ohio EPA office in Twinsburg with documentation showing that, filled out a form and received my "Permanent Exemption" certificate on the spot. Then took that, my title and went and got personnal plates.
If the block of the motor is 25 years old you will not need an "E" check and should qualify for the Perm Exem status.
Like Rick said there are many cobra owners in Ohio with many different makes.
Check the for sale forum on this site.
Also, cobras usually show up at Winks in Barberton of Friday or Sat nites.
There are usually a few that show up every week at the Solon cruise in.
Next week will be convertibles and 2 seat sports car nite in Solon.
The original 2 seat sports car nite was scheduled for the 26th of July but big storms came thru.
Back in June on the same weekend there were (2) big cobra gatherings one in London and the other in Elyria. There should have been at least 100 cobras in each location.
There should also be a repeat of both if not one of these events on the 3rd weekend of June. Watch for updates on ClubCobra.
Good Luck
Jim
Old 08-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greatdane:
I just spoke to a freind in Ft.Wayne, IN. His car is still for sale. Go to the "Cobras for Sale" Forum here and go to the 2nd page. Look for the name John Poling. He has a very nice Antique & Collectible car, with basically the same motor I have from York Sports cars with a C6 Auto I believe. This car is finished beautifully. He had a professional body and paint job done on it where mine is the gel coat in chrome yellow.
When you open his thread click on the camera to see pictures of his car. John has many little extras he put into it. He lists a lot of them.
If you want to travel north a bit you can basically see mine and what an A & C looks like.
There are some entries in his thread, ones says pending sold, but as of today the car is still there and John is still listening to offers.
Just a thought.
Good luck.
Jim
Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Yep, I'm in Bath so you're about 10 miles north up 271. Thanks for the info on the title and e-check. Kind of a pain here in Summit county. Thing is, if I get a car that didn't use a donor block, then it needs to be e-checked, but I'm sure they don't have any benchmarks for a cobra replica, so how would they do that? The e-check program must have provision for exemption for collector or non mass manufactured vehicles.

This whole deal got started at the cruise in at Wink's. I spoke to a nice guy named Scott and since I have always loved Cobras decided to start down this road. Whereabouts in Solon are your cruise ins? Mark
Old 08-04-2005, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spoke to Frank Klienes tonight about title and echeck issues. Heck of a nice guy. I want to say thanks to everybody for the help so far. Really invaluable in terms of cutting the learning curve down.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The more I hear about registration issues the happier I am to have an all original FE complete with iron heads and OEM intake. THAT should make the car easier to sell in ANY State.

I figure I will be selling it this year or next. I'm just about ready for the "next challenge", Cobra #4! Maybe a blue one next time around... Planning on what specs to get is half the fun.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greatdane:
If you buy a used ride that is registered as a 60's vehicle I believe you will not need an "E" check.
Check out John's A & C in Ft.Wayne.
The Solon Cruise In's are located just off Rte 43 (Aurora Rd) just east of Harper/Cochran Rd., back behind the movie theater. It has a lot that holds 700 cars and it usually fills up.
This tuesday I will not be there, but I am sure there should be cobras there.

What about meeting at Whiteys, Best burgers anywhere.

Jim
Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm pretty certain you're correct about the 60's registration and the lack of e-check. I understand also that if I purchase an out of state car that it needs to go through an inspection - not a Highway Patrol safety inspection - prior to be titled in this state. I guess title bureaus and a lot of car dealers can perform this.

I checked out John's car. Problem is, I am only interested in a 4 or 5 speed and I believe the ad said it was an auto. It was late and I could have been seeing things but I think that's right. Other than that a very nice car. Think I'll head up to Solon this Tuesday and check out the cars. What time does that start?

You're on for Whitey's. Pick a time and I'll meet you there. Mark
Old 08-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought mine out of state and the state 'inspection' amounted to them walking out to the car, saying 'cool' and reading the odometer

Still coming down tomorrow for the OCC cruise in?

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 08-05-2005, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Absolutely, first day of school. I hope to be there around noon or maybe a little later. It's about a 2 hour drive from here if traffic, construction, and the highway patrol cooperate. Mark
Old 08-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark:
It is a Auto C6. I was talking with John last nite and he said he positioned the pedals such tha a clutch pedal could be added and remove the C6 and put in a manual tranny. I'm sure there are folks that could do that for you.
He listed phone numbers on his thread and I'm sure he is willing to negotiate.
I know he has over 40k into it, just like I do in mine.

What about tonight at Whitey's about 6:30/7:00. The boss is going out to dinner with freinds and I was going to go for a ride.
Let me know here if you want to meet up.
Jim
Old 08-05-2005, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

I am so bummed! I hadn't really worked on the vette for a while (like it ever really gets dirty) and was feeling kinda guilty about that so I logged off and went out and gave it a decent detailing. I never came back in to check emails or anything until now. This is one of those "had I only known" deals........I would've lied to the vette and been there in a NY minute. I'm dying to get a ride in somebody's car and the vette was mostly clean anyhow. Not to mention I could've eaten at Whitey's. That sucks. So, I've got a clean car and had leftover ravioli for dinner (a couple of warm Coronas while waxing). Perfect night for it...I must not be living right. Mark