Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     
Default Ohio Registration Question

When I bought my SPF, I lived in Kentucky. With much pain and suffering, I finally got it titled and licensed there. They titled it as a “1965 Ford”. I had wanted to put a particular special license plate on my car but the clerk there did not have the requested plate available. At that point, I asked “since it is titled as a 1965 model. Can I get historic plates?” She told me yes and that it was a good idea because taxes and fees are less for historic vehicles in Kentucky. Later I moved to Ohio. I assumed that the title from Kentucky would be honored and that my title and licensing-based pain and suffering was over. WRONG!!! The key thing is that some Hi-way Patrol office has to do an inspection. That seems to take months just to arrange. Also, the clerk told me that in Ohio it will be registered as a 2007 model, not a 1965. The kicker is, I was at a cruise-in recently and I saw a replica Cobra (ffr) with Ohio historic plates. I never found the owner but the comment I got from others was “it’s who you know”. What is the deal here? Also, what are the benefits of collector plates? Can collector plates be used on replicas?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I think someone is giving you the run around. I bought my cobra from Elizabethtown, Kentucky. When I got home, all I had to do was have it inspected, to make sure the serial numbers matched, and a couple of other things. It didn't have to go to the HP office. Took it to my local Chevy dealer, he filled out the paperwork, and I took it to the title office. As far as I know, any car dealer can fill out the paper work. This vehicle is already titled and registered, it's not like it's a new construction. It would be the same as getting any car titled in the new state you move too. I'd get current plates first, before trying for collector plates.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Daytona Coupe #211, SPF,1037 sold
Not Ranked     

Jwilly, Hotfingers is correct, get your regular plates first before trying for collector plates. Quick story...I bought my SPF from AZ and tried to title it here and got the same run around. DMV told me i had to register it as a 2001 assembled vehicle and i needed a emmisions check first!!! So i drive to the e-check and the little girl with the wand in her hand asked me if i had EFI. I said no, then she realized i had two side pipes and she promptly told me that i needed to get a "permanent exemption" from emissions testing. I had to go the the E.P.A.! They did a inspection of the car and typed up a permanent exemption for me from the echeck! Had to take that to the DMV so i could get my plates...I think we can get Collector plates, but not antique or historic. The difference is a one time fee on the plate, no yearly renewal. Almost any car dealership can do a vehicle inspection.

Cheers,
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the good info. A couple of things: Initially I did have the car inspected at a Linc/Merc dealership. I took the completed form to two DMV sites (Batavia and Milford), neither of the two would accept the inspection form I had. I tried again with a form completed by Dynamic Motorsports and same story. They both told me I had to go to a West Chester HP office for the inspection. Next, there is at least one modern replica cobra out there with historic plates (I have a picture of it). How did he do that???? It would seem to me that if one can do it, others should be able to do the same thing. Last, is there any advantage to having collector plates (assuming one cannot get historic plates...e.g.,does that affect e-check?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Not Ranked     

Do you have a clear title to the car. I took my completed form and title to the local registar and title was put in my name and I got plates. It was that easy. If it's titled now as a 65 you want to make sure to keep it that way. Mines titled in a county that doesn't have E-check so I don't have to worry. Don't know about Collector vs Historic plates... I'd rather have a vanity plate anyway.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

I bought mine in NC, it was titled as a 65 cobra, I took it to the car dealer had a five minute title inspection to make sure the numbers matched. Took it to the title office in wood county, got the title, then went next door and got the plates. Yes, keep it as a 65 if you can. They did not ask me if it was a replica and I did not tell them. If I were you I would go to a differnt title office, you would think they are all the same but they are not. On the historic plates, they only allow you to dirve to parades and shows. They are not worth it if you plan on dirving your car. You may or may not get hassled by the police but we are only talking about 50 bucks a year for plates. Once you get them you will never have to step foot in there again unless you enjoy the experience
Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do have a clear title. Can I register the car in a county other than the one I reside in?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can, if you know someone and can use their address....
Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Daytona Coupe #211, SPF,1037 sold
Not Ranked     

My SPF was registered and titled in AZ as a 1965 Shelby Cobra! The DMV here had nothing to do with it. They even went as far as calling the DMV in AZ and still wouldn't title it as a 65. So, im stuck as a 2001 assembled vehicle. Like i said earlier, the Highway Patrol had nothing to do with my inspection. I don't know for sure, but I can't see a Replica having a Historic or Antique Licence plates. Collector yes. But hey, who knows, there is obviously differences between counties . Yes it does affect e-check...there won't be one. As for emmissions testing, does your county have e-check. If yes, I had to go to the EPA and get my permanent exemption letter Funny thing is...It's not transferable if I was to sell my Cobra, the next owner will have to get his/her own letter.
I think you have to register your vehicle where your home address is.

Cheers,

Chris