21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-09-2008, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra emblem question

This is trivial, but I am curious. This past summer I was participating in a car show and was parked next to a very nicely done ffr. One of the show judges, along with a “buddy” completely went ballistic on the young man who built the ffr because he had the cobra emblems attached to the hood and trunk. They said something to the effect that the emblems did not belong on replicas and that was one of the things that PO-ed C Shelby (oh my gawd, anything but that!). Their take was, placing these emblems on replicas is dishonest. I have no dog in this fight as my SPF came to me w/o the emblems and I have not (yet) had the desire to put the emblems on my car. Also, I notice in the photo gallery that apparently ERA replica’s come with the emblems already attached. Other companies may do the same thing, I dunno. I will also point out that one of the guys doing the rant had a very nice T-bucket w/ ford emblems on the car. But, I’m sure it was original and not a replica (wink, wink). Although they left me alone, I did get the feeling they just didn’t like cobra replicas at all (Cobras get too much attention at these shows to suit these guys, I suppose). Anyway, what’s the deal? Was this just two whiners who knew nothing of what they spoke about? Is there an issue w/ using the cobra emblems (logos) on replicas? I’m ignorant here.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Somebody would have talked to moi like that they would have woke up with a sore jaw. They are in laymen terms stupid fuks. I bet they had fake teeth, they need to keep their mouth shut
Old 12-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Agree with madmaxx...ignorant judges. I'd pass on that show next time if I were you.

Run 'em if you want 'em! I didn't install any emblems because I like the look, but tons of replica owners run them.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-09-2008, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

OL Shell ownes the rites to the emblems which means only licensed dealers of his can sell them as for using them no one can stop you even if you want to use them on a YUGO as for judges who go off on somebody like that i think i would talk to who ever put on the show and put a stop to there judging
Old 12-09-2008, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I'm sure these A-Holes would have no trouble drooling over some hottie with fake boobs!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

How many fiberglass '32 and '34 Ford coupes are out in the street rod circuit ? How about T-buckets? It seems that Cobra replicas get discriminated against quite often by the cruise night and car show crowd, but these other glass beauties are revered. I know quite well because I've attended several in my area with my ERA. Most other car owners kind of snub the Cobras (as well as Corvettes), but the general public just goes crazy over them. I don't know if it's jealousy or what, but if you show up with a Cobra, many street rod owners will just ignore you. I really don't give a hoot, my car speaks for itself. As far as the emblems are concerned, you can put anything you wish on your car.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

I would have pointed them to my "Licensed by CS" Placard and told them to give him a call to report me. I have installed the hood and deck emblems and just ordered the 427 powered by Ford emblems. I was on the fence about the side emblems but I figure its my car.

Edit - reminds me of a time some guy came up to me at a show with a scowl on his face. He started grilling me on why I went with a small block stroker and not a true 427. I was polite and explained history of the car versus originals. He interrupted and told me "He knows all about the originals" in a snotty tone. I politely smiled and started talking to a wide eyed kid who just loved the car. Point - there one in every crowd no matter where you go or what you do.

Last edited by ekrupa2; 12-09-2008 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Updated information
Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

You go to any cruise in here and you'll never see a Ford engine
in any 32's, 34's or T's - all Chevys. There is one guy who has a '50 Chevy
with a Ford 351w that is cool. Nifty50 on his plate.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

OMg, this is amazing to me. It is a car show for heaven's sake, not life and death. Who the heck cares which emblems you put on and where you put them. I would have been sorely tempted to pry one of them off and shove it up the judge's a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are the judge who said this, and are reading this forum, then LIGHTEN UP sunshine, it's a replica anyway, and even if it wasn't who the heck cares. I put AC logos on mine AND 'shaved' the trunk (see my pics) because I preferred the look, and I don't give a rat's a$$ if ANYONE likes them or not. It is perfectly acceptable and even appropriate for a judge to say "hmmm...those badges are not authentic young man, and will lose you points in the judging", but "ballistic", and to say "Shelby doesn't like that"...well, let me send you 25 cents so you can call someone who gives a sh!t what ole Shelby thinks about MY replica!!!

Sorry, I shall step down now from the lofty moral pedestal, but this kind of 'judgement' is the kind that makes me want to NOT go to car shows. Luckily, I think this is an exception!!

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"

Last edited by GlynMeek; 12-09-2008 at 04:41 PM..
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

I also quit doing car shows long ago ... the judging is at best spotty and some of the "contestants " downright obnoxious . Some years ago , my 63 1/2 R code Galaxie won best in class ... and another owner in my class came over and was livid . Seems he felt I had an incorrect intake on the car as it had a C8AE number on it . Wrong , it was a C3AE with some casting flash on it . This guy was ready to fight over a $20 trophy .
Is my ERA totally correct ?? No , but it is what I want it to be .
Tell that judge he has optical rectitus .... a $hitty outlook on everything !
Old 12-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I didn't intend to beat up on all cruise night and car show guys, as there's always some really nice people there. It just struck a note when someone mentioned bad attitudes toward his Cobra. You cannot please everybody, so why try.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On the other hand, I am yet to meet an a--hole Cobra phile. I pushed my luck and drove the Audi R8 down to the Unique Homecoming this Year. Dave and the Mrs, from CT, came over, introduced themselves, and she settled down in the Audi drivers seat. I on the other hand, picked the brains on some 289FIA owners, which are my passion cars.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC,428scj
Not Ranked     
Default emblems

I would get every Cobra in the area and go to the same show next year.
I don't go to many shows either, and when I do, it is to be with freinds, not to win a trophy. When I do go, I wouldn't own many of the cars there, but If that is what they like, then that is all that matters.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

For some damn reason the street/hot rod custom/muscle car doofus's at car shows always seem to denigrate Cobra replicas...and it seems to me the most ardent badmouthers are the ones with the "plastic'' rods....pissed me off when I had my Cobra and it pisses me off still, (with my ''plastic'' Vicki streetrod I'm now ''accepted'' by the same type of people because I have a Streetrod...sigh!) when they start in on some guy who has brought his replica Cobra to a show....

just make a snide comment about their car like "Where'd you get your car? 1-800-Repilca Duece...nice ride, very accurate what with that Chevy engine and trans" smile politely then walk away....won't win you any friends but you get your point across

If you go to a show seeking trophies better make it a Cobra only show...I go because I like to meet the other guys and just generally hang out...and when you go to a show with a Cobra they always draw a crowd.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Re: badges - go for it. AC, Shelby, make yourself happy. Just my .02

I've been to just a few shows - no trophies - that's ok. I've heard comments like - they've got that one all dolled up, or that's just a bunch of old mustang parts.

Our club has a number of beautiful FFRs, and a group of judges actually pulled me aside and grilled me about why my car (SPF) was so different than the others. Would they do that to the hot rodders?

The really weird thing about cars shows and Cobras is "The Category" - it's always "Other", or "Misc". I've competed against tractors, military vehicles, and an electric golf-cart looking thing from the 50's or something. If you register in "sportscars" - you'll compete with Vettes which always out number us 20 to 1. I've always wondered, if a REAL 1965 Cobra would stand a chance at you're average local show.

Tell you what though - after they hand out the trophies, and everybody heads for their car - I start my 588 Big Block up. Just about every single person stops in their tracks, turns, looks as I pass, picks their jaw off the ground, couple of blips of the throttle, couple of thumbs up from the crowd - and I drive away happy.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

Bodges? We don' need no steenkin' bodges! Hey amigo.. It's YOUR car...your dream, make it what you will! If someone else doesn't like it..that's THEIR problem. I personally feel that some replicas have as much, or even more to be proud of than the originals, as the engineering, materials and quality of build are BETTER. If I owned an ERA Superformance or Kirkham I'd put those badges on it because THAT'S what it is... a better car than the original. If I owned a real Cobra I'd be very proud of that as well, because it has real history. That doesn't make it a better car than a well built replica, though, but If you still want to pretend your ride is a "real" Cobra then badge that way..It's YOUR car. Ill informed judges who play God are worthless wankers, so be warned. If you go to car shows don't ever be suprised or disappointed at the results. What counts is what you know and feel about your ride. Badger
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I replied to an editorial in Street Rod magazine a few years ago where they made a comment about people building "Kit Cars" do not put in the effort that street rodders do to make their cars show worthy. I blasted them about the same thing. What's the difference between buying a frame from one manufacturer, the "fiberglass body" from some one else, and all the other parts from various manufacturers and putting it all together? Isn't that the same as building a "KIT Car"? I said I have seen some "Kit Cars" that were so good you could not tell them from the originals . They printed my letter and appoligized. I also blasted them saying that in my day, real hot rods had 3 pedals on the floor not 2! When I see a nice street rod and and look inside and see an automatic in it I walk away in disgust. (unless he has only one leg.)

When you go to a car show, the Cobra's will draw the crowd, that's what their jealous of.

Last edited by Snakebit; 12-10-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Old 12-10-2008, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I agree wtih you about the strange categories they put the Cobra's in. I've been in the KIT or MISC quite a number of times but then, my SPF stands out even more as opposed to being mixed in with a 100 or so Vettes.
Also, I have a few nice first place trophies that I received when competing in that category. People Ive shown them to dont know the small number of cars in that category or that i was competing against other vehicles like a Fiero Ferrari or something that looked like a motorized bar stool.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile I love car shows

It's long story and I'm not going to tell the whole story in detail tonight,
but Coach and I attend a car show in our Cobras. They did not know what class to put us in and we did not care, so they placed us in class 49, special vehicles or something. One 82 Cadillac and a tractor with a Chev motor. We had a great time and got to know the guy with the Cadillac and his girlfriend. They had a tent and it was hot in the July sun. We left early so we did not know who won what.

Three weeks later at another car show we see the Caddie guy. He was outraged that the tractor won our class. He went on and on about that show and the trophy the tractor won. He was not going back to that show again, never, a tractor at a car & truck show, OMG.

I have told the whole story many times and we get a good laugh every time.
Have you ever seen a 82 Caddie????? Ugliest car in the world. I mean ugly!!!!

The next year I received an invitation to the same show. I called the President of the Club and told him that I was surprised that we were invited to come back because they had given the trophy to a tractor. We thought they did not want us to attend their car show again. Our fiberglass cars that cost $50,000 to build were not good enough for their show. Well the more he apologized, the more I pushed. I got a good laugh out of it. The next time four of us (Cobras) attend that show, we all won trophies. They even spilt the class (lot of very nice Chevies) so we could win a trophy. We still get a good laugh out of both of the stories. Car Show are always fun.

Dwight
I'll see if I can find a pic of that Caddie

We like the show where they don't judge the car but give door prizes and cash.

We still have a great time at all the shows.

I found it

Last edited by Dwight; 12-10-2008 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: add pic
Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

The best shows to attend are those that sponsor or benefit kids, like Boys & Girls Clubs, Childrens Hospitals, Hospitals Childrens Cancer wings, things like that. And they are really fun when when they let the kids choose the class winners. And if you drive a Cobra and are chosen by some young guy or girl do everything you can to give that kid a ride...It'll make their day and yours also to see the joy the child gets actually getting to ride in his or hers favorite car .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: