S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2015, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Meanwhile, check out this thread: Superformance Stret Roadster Pricing
Old 01-23-2016, 05:57 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman1972 View Post
I'm looking for input on what companies you would recommend to use to buy a kit from. I am looking to start the build in the spring. I have looked at Factory Five any other recommendations?

Thanks
Newby
is there any way to tell what kind of a cobra kit car it is if the owner doesn't no who built it
Old 01-23-2016, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

I am on my second factory built SB Cobra. The first being a Lone Star and currently an ERA Slabside 289. No doubt the ERA quality and attention to service is simply outstanding. As good as it gets!

ERA 289 Slabside #3010
Old 01-23-2016, 09:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat641 View Post
is there any way to tell what kind of a cobra kit car it is if the owner doesn't no who built it

Usually taking and posting pictures showing the car, engine compartment, interior, door hinges, trunk, frame rails if you can get them, and front and rear suspension does the trick on this site.

I also suggest starting a thread of your own

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-13-2017, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Best Cobra Kit for Tall Driver

Good evening....just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for a kit manufacturer for a driver who is 6'5"? I sat in a hurricane and factory 5 and they were pretty tight. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Good evening....just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for a kit manufacturer for a driver who is 6'5"? I sat in a hurricane and factory 5 and they were pretty tight. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Yes. If you are cramped, whatever you do don't buy a car sight unseen. The issue for "tightness" is one of the atttributes of the street-ified race car, but side-to-side in the seat is different from foot pedal reach and closeness of the steering wheel to your lap. My advice to all buyers is to sit in the car you are thinking of buying. There is a lot of variation between brands. And even within brands for non-factory rollers. Expect the Shelby CSX and Superformance cars to be similar (within brands, but even Shelby vs SPF vary, in fact, SPF wheel hit my lap whereas Shelby fit me fine) so a dry fit in one is as good as others, but others, especially true kits, can vary alot. Also, SPF made design changes so an older car might have a different steering wheel position than newer cars. So the best thing is to actually sit in the car before writing the check.
Billiam likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-13-2017 at 06:34 PM..
Old 03-13-2017, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What era Hurricane? Small Block or FE?

The seat can be made further back in the second generation Hurricane.

The footbox in the second gen Hurricane, if made with the recessed floor is pretty much the roomiest in the 90" wheelbase replicas.
Billiam likes this.

Last edited by 120mm; 03-13-2017 at 09:48 PM..
Old 03-13-2017, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Think tall guys would go for the Backdraft as it has extra 2 inches in cockpit or ...
Billiam likes this.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I put my seat on the floor all the way back and I would still like another 2-3 inches
Billiam likes this.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can come by and check mine out anytime..
Billiam likes this.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
What era Hurricane? Small Block or FE?

The seat can be made further back in the second generation Hurricane.

The footbox in the second gen Hurricane, if made with the recessed floor is pretty much the roomiest in the 90" wheelbase replicas.
I am not sure what configuration of hurricane it was. All they said was it was roomier than the factory five.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Yes. If you are cramped, whatever you do don't buy a car sight unseen. The issue for "tightness" is one of the atttributes of the street-ified race car, but side-to-side in the seat is different from foot pedal reach and closeness of the steering wheel to your lap. My advice to all buyers is to sit in the car you are thinking of buying. There is a lot of variation between brands. And even within brands for non-factory rollers. Expect the Shelby CSX and Superformance cars to be similar (within brands, but even Shelby vs SPF vary, in fact, SPF wheel hit my lap whereas Shelby fit me fine) so a dry fit in one is as good as others, but others, especially true kits, can vary alot. Also, SPF made design changes so an older car might have a different steering wheel position than newer cars. So the best thing is to actually sit in the car before writing the check.
Thank you for all the great tips. I will definitely check out the different brands. 😄
Old 03-14-2017, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
You can come by and check mine out anytime..
That would be awesome. Thank you
Old 03-14-2017, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thank you for all the great tips. I will definitely check out the different brands. 😄
I see you've joined the "Edmond/OKC Cobras" Community Group on CC ( Club Cobra - Edmond/OKC Cobras ). While there are only 6 members (yourself included) and basically no activity, perhaps you could reach out to the listed members and find out more about their cars.

Other events (e.g. show and shines, cars and coffee, etc.) may be a good opportunity to check out various makes.

It's been my experience that owners are generally pretty pleased to welcome new members into the fraternity, including serious prospective owners (kind of like people addicted to the same drug), and are quite open to others checking out their rides. They're generally not so welcoming to tire kickers - so establishing yourself as a seriously interested prospective owner will help.

Best wishes - I hope you find what you're looking for.
Billiam likes this.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '99 Classic Roadsters 427SC
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness Billiam. I have a Classic Roadsters 427 and you are welcome to try it on for size. (94 in wheel base, all in the drivers compartment). There are a few Cobras that get together at the Sonic Drive In at Choctaw Road and I-40 on Thursday evenings when the weather is good. Also Cars and Coffee at the Mayfield Mall on the first Saturday of every month. Hope to see you there.

Jerry
cycleguy55 and Billiam like this.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrite8888 View Post
Welcome to the madness Billiam. I have a Classic Roadsters 427 and you are welcome to try it on for size. (94 in wheel base, all in the drivers compartment). There are a few Cobras that get together at the Sonic Drive In at Choctaw Road and I-40 on Thursday evenings when the weather is good. Also Cars and Coffee at the Mayfield Mall on the first Saturday of every month. Hope to see you there.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry

I will definitely check you guys out at the Choctaw Sonic. I cost there frequently as I live off of Peevly, he next off ramp east.

Let me know when the events happen.

Thanks a million,

Bill
Old 03-15-2017, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit65 View Post
Hi...

great cars as long as they use chevy engines that's all i care about and for the car i would pic the ultima or the gtm and for the kitt cars no problem if the company waranties the chasssy or the quality of the body parts.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo[/ame]
Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '99 Classic Roadsters 427SC
Not Ranked     

Billiam,

Where on Peebly? I am near SE 44th and Triple X.

Jerry
Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrite8888 View Post
Billiam,

Where on Peebly? I am near SE 44th and Triple X.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I am off Peebly at SE 89th and Posey Road. 1st Street South of I40

Bill
Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

If you want an aluminium body, I would look at Kirkham. I seen a few and they look great.
I recently built a Factory Five MK IV and it went well. My only experience building a kit. I can tell you it handles great and has no bumpsteer. I went with the 17" wheels and Wilwood brakes, so it stops great too. I did end up upgrading the cooling system as it was inadequate when stuck idling. A better fan and a proper shroud may have corrected the problem, but you know how it goes. lol
It really has a lot to do with budget and what you want from it. Period correct show piece or a car you can take to the race track without regrets. If the latter Factory Five Racing has engineered theirs for the track. The 3-link works great, in fact one of their techs recommended it for racing. However, this was just prior to them setting up for the new Mustang IRS. If you are going racing, you might want to consider power steering.
Good luck,
Mark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: