Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Effect of Ethanol on original rubber fuel hoses

I am updating my fuel lines/log to an NOS set-up and could also add the NOS rubber fuel hoses that run from the log to the carb. Will modern gas additives and ethanol break these hoses down? Is this a bad idea and I should just go with some repro hoses?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Doug, by NOS I assume you mean new old stock , not the nitrous company, but you dont want to use old hose material compounded (manufactured) before the days of the alcohol blends the gasolines have today. Unless you know the exact rubber compound used on these old hoses as being alcohol compatible, they will degrade much "faster" with the modern gasolines, faster being a relative term here. On my ride I use modern fuel line materials compatible with alcohol by reviewing the specs from the manufacturer before I installed it. My 2 cents.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, that sounds like good advice.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Same here as I replaced the fuel hose on my 65 Comet with a newer rubber compound and this gas we get here still eats it away after a time. I think I am going to just buy a roll of it and change it every year.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Could someone please show me the data to support the feeling that Ethyl Alcohol (ethanol) is tougher on hoses than is gasoline. I'm not sure it exists.

Bob
Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
No data, but you are welcome to call and talk to any of the small engine repair shops in this area. It is hard to even get a lawnmower in as they are so loaded with small equipment that is full of rubber sludge and some corrosion. As for myself, all I had to do was look in the fuel filter, I use a clear glass one with the changeable screens. Also seems strange that they want more fuel mileage and then add something to it that causes it to drop. This I have proved by using the pump gas and then using the 93 octane with NO Ethanol in it. Everything runs better, goes farther, and no problems.

Ron

Last edited by Ron61; 03-31-2010 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Ron:
You're absolutely correct that the mileage is reduced with ethanol. Ethanol does not have near the energy of gasoline.

I don't have any data either way regarding hose degradation, but I remember back in the 60s when the PCV valves were being blamed for every engine problem around. Maybe when the ethanol was added something else was also added which causes problems. If I have a piece of fuel hose in the garage I'm going to soak it in the gas I have to see if it degrades. My guess is it won't.

Bob
Old 03-31-2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Bob,

Let me know what happens. I have only seen the sludge in my filter and the hose seems to be weaker. Looking inside one hose that I split open it was very rough all the way through and I could see where some small pieces had came loose. But I don't know for sure that the Ethanol did it. I just never had a problem before they added so much of it and the small engines around here are really having problems.

Ron

Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've done a lot of small engine work and they are extraordinarily sensitive to "bad fuel". The alcohol tends to draw water to the fuel and small engines often sit for a long period of time and the gas begins to degrade. So you have multiple problems when it comes to clean, good fuel for an already sensititive little motor. Same issues would apply to a car that sits through the winter or is seldom driven.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I think that ethanol fuels sitting is alot to do with the problem. It really is causing problems for seasonal vehicles like our fair weather cars, boats, lawnmower and small engines as mentioned. Our local marinas have been plagued with rubber components and lines degrading.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I always put Sta Bil in all of my cars and lawn equipment and that has seemed to really help with my problems. That and the Ethanol free gas and everything is running great now and no stuff in the filters.

Ron

Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So since gas doesn't really sit in the fuel hoses from the log to the carb as it would drain back down immediately with no fuel pressure, this probably isn't really an issue for me?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Thsi is the first year that I have used Sta-bil in my mowers and motorcycles. I even put a little in the Cobra. I had some Sta-bil left over but I didn't know how to keep it from going bad.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a 22 year old boat with rubber hoses which has sat for years at a time between uses. Never a problem except it wont die