Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

The gathering in question was intended to include only the True Thames Ditton Automobiles so when the MkIVs began to park amongst them, words were said. Not an great moment and one which clouded my opinion of club and several members! No names etc. Some of the 'modern' owners drove off, never to renew their membership. It's very sad when some of the elder members consider that post-Ditton automobiles are inferior since those owners are the future life-blood of the club.
The MkIV/CRS brigade is by far the largest section of the club with over 450 cars registered, so can hardly be overlooked. However, that is where the story of AC will end since nothing, a few 'continuations' excepted, has been built that is worthy of consideration. Chances of anything worthwhile appearing in the future is somewhere between remote and zero.
I'll continue to haunt Club Cobra as the issue is not taken so seriously that you can't have a laugh, for goodness sake. Unlike the UK equivalent where humor is all but banned....
And Jamo still reads my book on the can...... ;-)
Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's a b***dy disgrace! How long ago did that happen!!

A few of us are hoping the Mk VI, which by all accounts is developing into a competent car, will be a success. The first deliveries were in April this year. This, together with Steve Gray's operation at Brooklands should mean that the AC marque will continue in production, albeit on a small scale.

I'm sure Jurgen Mohr will let you try one of his latest creations, Trevor.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

That was at the Haynes Cobra Day...dunno...2005? Time flies when you're having fun...I guess I didn't help rocking up in a Superformance Daytona :-) You gotta laugh.

The MkV was beyond bad and the MkVI is still based around a kit-car withever way you slice it. Jurgen Mohr knows his stuff of course, but for me...sorry, never an AC for all the badges you slap on it. The company formally known as AC is now a badge-engieering entity, having missed the simple trick that Carroll Shelby has pulled off. This is due to the management not understanding the market and having no respect for its past. If AC had opened a small business selling rolling chassis at an fair price which would enable an owner to easily complete a car that would have an AC badge and entry into the club archives, then it would still be making money, as Shelby Automotive appears to be doing (I'm sure I'll be corrected on that one). I could continue and could post a lot more, but my lawyer says.....

I've had many conversations on the topic with Steve Gray and if nowt else, he's no fool..... ;-)
Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
That was at the Haynes Cobra Day...dunno...2005? Time flies when you're having fun...I guess I didn't help rocking up in a Superformance Daytona :-) You gotta laugh.

The MkV was beyond bad and the MkVI is still based around a kit-car withever way you slice it. Jurgen Mohr knows his stuff of course, but for me...sorry, never an AC for all the badges you slap on it. The company formally known as AC is now a badge-engieering entity, having missed the simple trick that Carroll Shelby has pulled off. This is due to the management not understanding the market and having no respect for its past. If AC had opened a small business selling rolling chassis at an fair price which would enable an owner to easily complete a car that would have an AC badge and entry into the club archives, then it would still be making money, as Shelby Automotive appears to be doing (I'm sure I'll be corrected on that one). I could continue and could post a lot more, but my lawyer says.....

I've had many conversations on the topic with Steve Gray and if nowt else, he's no fool..... ;-)
I suppose Steve Gray has to be diplomatic given he's part of the AC licencing deal. AC Heritage's site carries pictures of the Mk VI.

And this was the car that made waves on the other site. Possibly not one to take along to Thames Ditton on Sunday!

SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT AK 427 COBRA RECREATION For Sale (2011) on Car And Classic UK

The future's bright, the future's orange

Last edited by london; 08-15-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Old 08-15-2011, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     
Wink

OK, seems like a good idea so i joined the ACOC.

I just spent the evening reading through your posts over there - i see you have been stoking 1 or 2 fires !
Old 08-21-2011, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy

OK, so I trotted along to the Centenary celebrations today with Jnr.
Perfect weather.

Saw an AC Sociable , over 100 years old.

Lots of MEs, Greyhounds, 2-3 Fruas, quite a few MkIVs AC '6's' and one geniune 289 cobra.

nice owners, had a chat with a couple.

Took loads of pics, and video as well.

But now Sony Handycam says 'Rec Disabled' which I beleive is the Sony equivalent of the MS Blue screen. Can visually see material is recorded on the mini-DVD disc, but nothing is registered or playable.
.........................B*ll*x.

Last edited by KevinW; 08-21-2011 at 01:26 PM..
Old 08-21-2011, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     
Default Thames Ditton

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcocsx3121 View Post
I made a pilgrimage to Thames Ditton while on one of my business trips to the U.K. in 2000. It's a quiet, picturesque little village on a bend in the river, replete with ducks and water lilies. I had to ask three people where the AC works had been before a gent pointed me to a nondescript red brick structure. I did find a small, bronze plaque on a wall telling of the site's glory days.
I had the same experience. Also found the plaque with difficulty. Chatting to the owner of the Swan Pub which is right besides the factory, he said he would welcome some pics and history of the factory to mount inside his pub. Tried to contact Stephen Grey but never received a return call so left it there. Still feel it would be great if someone could put this together so that visitors and locals could could learn more about AC. Been there, done that but no T shirt ,cap, or book.
Ross
Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
OK, so I trotted along to the Centenary celebrations today with Jnr.
Perfect weather.

Saw an AC Sociable , over 100 years old.

Lots of MEs, Greyhounds, 2-3 Fruas, quite a few MkIVs AC '6's' and one geniune 289 cobra.

nice owners, had a chat with a couple.

Took loads of pics, and video as well.

But now Sony Handycam says 'Rec Disabled' which I beleive is the Sony equivalent of the MS Blue screen. Can visually see material is recorded on the mini-DVD disc, but nothing is registered or playable.
.........................B*ll*x.
Kevin

This was added to You Tube, yesterday:

AC Owners Club National Day 2011, Thames Ditton - YouTube

Mark
Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks - watched it several times - taken an hr or 2 before i arrived.
still mad that the Handycam packed up on its most important mission.

reckon you are driving into a carcrash with mention of the MkVI on a register.
we will see!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
thanks - watched it several times - taken an hr or 2 before i arrived.
still mad that the Handycam packed up on its most important mission.

reckon you are driving into a carcrash with mention of the MkVI on a register.
we will see!
Well it's not 'Thames Ditton' or even 'Brooklands' but it's still an AC product which some of us think should be included in a register.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK, seems like a good idea so i joined the ACOC.

I just spent the evening reading through your posts over there - i see you have been stoking 1 or 2 fires !
Your not wrong Kevin ,he has stoked a few fires, and now deleted all his comments.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
I had a run-in on the ACOC website over discussing replicas - I don't think there was any malice involved, but I felt at the time that a rather rigid approach was being taken. Whilst I can understand AC owners wishing to discuss the various models of ACs (rather than Pilgrim or DAX replicas), given that the Cobra isn't a pure AC product, I don't think it would do the club any harm to have a separate register for cars sympathetic to the originals - Hawks, Kirkhams, Superformance and latter-day Shelbys come to mind.

I am currently raising the issue of a registry for Continuation Cars on that site (under 'Chafford' - I've moved since registering here!) so that cars like Gus Meyjes' excellent 260 engined 2004 continuation 'Ace' are properly recognised at the club.
Aaron (Hurricaneharold)

Please see my earlier post (above). The issues I've discussed on the ACOC site wouldn't raise an eyebrow on this site - for example, suggesting alternative hard tops to the original Cobra pattern (with innovative ventilation for long distance travel to Europe) shouldn't annoy anyone whose reasonably broad-minded even if the shape isn't to their taste. Dave Brookes' latest version (see below) is an improvement on the original in my opinion and there's no reason why someone shouldn't be able to suggest that it couldn't be used on, for example, the CRS (which has little in common with a 60's Cobra apart from its basic shape).

http://www.v8cobra.com/images/h_top/IMG_1722.jpg

DB Replicas - Removable Le Mans Hard Top

I've received personal emails and been 'given advice' on what to say and what not to say. So I decided to remove most of my recent postings from that site - a safety first approach.

Mark

Apologies to others for this off-topic posting!

Last edited by london; 09-04-2011 at 10:54 AM..