Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Rouge Iris

A couple of the historic accounts report a few original 260 and 289 cars being painted Rouge Iris. An AC color wheel from the time shows what appears to be the color but the assigned name is Light Maroon Metallic. The backside of the wheel lists a long out-dated ICI Reference Number: P151-R840.

Following a thread of correlated codes leads me to a color that is available today and, to my eye, mimics the Light Maroon Metallic shown on the original color wheel:

Dark Red Pearl
Ditzler PPG 50011, DuPont 91-6986
84 Iveco 50011 IC141

Two questions: Has anyone tried to mimic the original Light Maroon Metallic and come to a more authentic rendering? Am I correct in thinking the names Light Maroon Metallic' and Rouge Iris have been given to the same color?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Steve: This car was in Fresno in 1970; CSX 2318. Image is from a an old picture but is the color in question.

[IMG][/IMG]

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Rick. I suspect the color in the 1970 photograph evidences its age and a scanning to give the digital image. The color I've derived is darker. The curve along the fender line would not reflect a bronze hue as depicted in the photo.

Matching colors across decades is hard. Changes in paint chemistry make finding a match more a matter of personal satisfaction than it is an exercise to be resolved through testing samples. And a sample of 42 years old paint would mislead from the color that left the factory. If someone has a better solution to post I'd like to see what they've found.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I adjusted the gamma and saturation to remove some of the "70's era" photo deficiencies. I did not adjust the tint.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

That looks like Vintage Burgundy circa 1966 Mustang.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Elmariachi. Dark Red Pearl is much closer to the color you've derived. I'm gaining confidence...
Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This photo, along with advice from an owner of an original, have guided my efforts:
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 AC Aces, 1 w/289, 1 w/TBD
Not Ranked     

Follow the link and go to ~3:30 of the video. Is this the color you are looking for? I believe the car is AEX1194 and maybe you can track down the owner through the website the video is on and find out what paint he used.

Vancouver ABFM Video*|*Classic Car Adventures
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar LS427 , 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Check out this thread. The color looks close to me.
More Fresh paint!!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

Here are a couple Rouge Iris 289 Cobras:

I made an album in my Gallery with a few more shots of these two cars under different lighting conditions.

regards,

Jeff
Old 03-24-2012, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CSX2292 - jmimac351's Photos
Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The redition in Barnsnake's reply appears closest to the color I'm trying to replicate. The owner of an original advised me some years ago to begin the chase here:
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The reference to International Maroon 22 along with the range in years the paint was used yield a current reference:

Ditzler PPG 50011, DuPont 91-6986

which the local mixing shop ciphered to be: 84 Iveco 50011 IC141

My builder lives near the owner of a 289 Cobra. The car has been restored to its original Rouge Iris. The builder will visit with the owner in an attempt to identify the formula Mike McClusky used in the restoration.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The trail began here:
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

I really think Barnsnake's version does not have enough metallic in it - but, it's your car, and your call.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a rendering, using the formula for 84 Iveco 50011 IC141. Unfortunately the color is sprayed on a non-absorbing paper. I've turned the sample in the sun and folded it to a curve. The sample presents weakly a depth that is not visible in the photos. If what I've derived is not the color of the orginal car it is a fine color for the car I'm having built.

The builder will provide me a sample on aluminum before I decide the color.

I appreciate your continuing interest in this thread.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here are photos of the car at the builder's shop in Michigan, just back from the paint booth. The pearl component is masked by the overcast sky and low sun angle this time of year:
Attached Images