• 1 Post By rsk289

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     
Default Right Hand Drive foot boxes

On the 427 cars I've crawled over they use the same foot boxes for righties with a 289 go pedal and a longer throttle cross shaft. Does anyone know about or has seen the 289 RHD cars? I'm wondering if they use the same foot boxes as a LHD? Do they glass the little square recess into the top for the steering column clamp into the right foot box instead? I'd post on the ACOC forum but can't get in.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think Roger was exploring that same question a little while ago. He probably has the answer.
Larry
Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

I'll try to have a look at this soon. Believe it or not I can't open the bonnet easily at the moment, because I'm waiting for the correct clutch fork (don't ask).
Let me get this right - do you want to know if the LH footbox is the same as the RH footbox? The RH footbox on a RHD has the recessed front corner for the steering column, but I don't have any recess for the clamp that hangs from the top of the footbox.
Roger
Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nick, Actually the Mk3 RHD footboxes are different than LHD. The right box of the RHD is wider with a knotch in the front left corner to accommodate the exhaust manifold, as compared to the right of a LHD. There is a slight difference in the bottom of the left box of a RHD also. Have seen a couple 427 cars that Brian Angliss converted to RHD and it looked like he just left the original boxes in the car that were there. RHD cars would have been an AC289. Have an associate with a MK2 COB car. Will check with him for you on the earlier boxes. AJ
Old 08-28-2014, 03:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Roger I was wondering if different foot boxes were used from a LHD to a RHD, especially in 289's. AJ your name came up when I talked with Kent about it. I'll talk with one of my English suppliers about them, just wondered if anyone had looked closely at a RHD on here. Thanks AJ.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Almost worth for you joining the German forum or ask Uwe or Martin (who has a 289?)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To resurrect this incredibly ancient thread, it occurred to me that I had forgotten about this question. The answer is that the RHD driver's side footbox in a leafspring 289 (which is all I can answer for) is very different from the LHD one. I was supplied with a LHD right side footbox and have had to do major surgery to fit the exhaust manifolds (cast iron original Y-type). On UK-drive side cars there is a pronounced step in the inner face of the footbox of around 2 1/2-3", with a small 45° fillet between vertical face and floor to help clear the intermediate header pipe. The support brackets on top of the footboxes are swapped over from the LHD version also.
Pics available if still necessary.

Roger
Old 04-06-2016, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

Always interested in pictures Roger!!

Thank you for the follow up.

Mike.

M. Krause
Old 04-06-2016, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's a COX footbox. I believe they are the same as COB cars.
Larry

Old 04-07-2016, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry is correct, and those photos show the RHD driver's footbox very well. Intrigued by the added legend 'positive ground', I looked a little closer and noted that the battery of this car is on the driver's side. Odd, because as far as I am aware all RHD cars had the battery over on the other side, to allow some kind of access to the master cylinders and reservoirs and to help with weight distribution when the car is 'one up'.

I've attached a photo of the inside of the R footwell. This shows the size of the 'step', which acts as a sort of clutch foot rest - I say 'sort of' because it's way too close to the driver to be properly comfortable. Its position is dictated by the rear end of the R side exhaust manifold.

The ribbed aluminium plate is not factory, and neither is the carpet edge trimming. Otherwise 6029 is a very original car, not restored and with a terrible late 70's blow-over respray, and is all the better for it. It's the car in the Haynes Museum, Somerset, England - where the Haynes manuals come from.
LMH likes this.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The car in the pics I posted is LHD just for clarification. It's a COX chassis. The footbox in the photo is the passengers footbox. I wanted to ask the owner about the "Positive Ground" but after he let me go through the tool pouch, I figured I had worn out my welcome and better not take more of his time!
Larry