• 1 Post By Buzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Genuine 1960s CSX parts on replica/tribute cars

I don't suppose there is a right or wrong answer to this, but I wonder what the collective opinion is about installing parts known and proven to come from genuine CSX2... and CSX3... cars onto Cobras built more recently (scratch built, CSX4 Shelbys or any other replica manufacturer).

In a way I like to see parts actually being used on any car rather than sitting in a display case or on a wall, but part of me thinks it is a shame for a genuine car to be using non-original parts when they could be reunited with the correct parts for an appropriate price.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With the exception of frame or suspension parts and a few odds and ends, how would anyone know they came from an original Cobra? Like most British cars, lots of the parts were used on multiple vehicles.
Of course, I say that and I have an original SW speedometer from a Cobra.
Larry
Old 03-22-2015, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

LMH
The SW speedo was unique to the 289 Cobra.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I can understand the motivation, but MHO is that it's a complete waste and misuse of an original part. The original parts should be with the original cars and having them on a replica gives dubious and laughable bragging rights at best...

"Uhh, yes it's a kit, but this shift knob came from CSX3036..."

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 03-22-2015, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

I have offered original cobra parts that I have back to the current owners of the car after tracking them down, and they have declined the offer. It was not about the money because $ were not discussed.
I have also heard this same story from others as well. So??????
CompClassics likes this.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
LMH
The SW speedo was unique to the 289 Cobra.
Yes, I know. Hence my post.

For the record though, I bought it from the owner of an original car. He had offered it to other original owners before offering it to me. No takers. It's in terrible shape and broken but is a good reference for replication.
Larry
Old 03-22-2015, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
I have offered original cobra parts that I have back to the current owners of the car after tracking them down, and they have declined the offer. It was not about the money because $ were not discussed.
I have often gotten the impression that some owners of original Cobras appear to be less obsessive about dead-nuts originality and correctness than many replica owners. They have what they have and they're not trying to replicate anything, so I suppose in a way that actually makes sense.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 03-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm
My opinion is use what you can find. I have original parts. Most of which were from friends and other collectors.

Everyone has an opinion.
Mine differs. .
jolsen42 and CompClassics like this.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Hmmmm. Everyone has an opinion.
Mine differs. .
And that's what makes the world go 'round. We don't need to agree on everything or to have our personal views validated by others, but it's nice to share and express them - creates a broader perspective. Having said that, I can see that the way I worded my post didn't come across so well and for that I apologize. I didn't intend to offend. There is a definite cool factor in recreating exacting detail. And what can be more exacting than a real component?
jolsen42 likes this.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not offended here, and I don't care. To each his own. The ONLY thing that bugs me is all the "my fake is less fake than your fake" judgmental nonsense. Exacting replica to loose interpretation, I love craftsmanship. I quit calling my car a replica because it isn't, and there isn't enough FFR left to call it a kit car, so it's officially a "tribute" car. Not the least bit interested in original parts.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
As the comment above shows, the marketplace has a way of resolving the OP's question in spite of the fact that there are different opinions on this matter. It would be great for me if everyone else didn't value the parts that I used to build a car everyone valued very highly. But it just doesn't work that way.

Over on the C1/C2 section of the Corvette Forum, there's a neverending tension between the NCRS restoration crowd and the "do it your way" crowd. For the most part they've agreed to live and let live. To each his own.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-31-2015, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

I have several correct early 60s original parts on my car, for which I have in many cases paid very large amounts of money. The market for these parts is often tiny - and replica parts are, or were when I bought them, not available. A case in point is correct Leveroll seat runners, which are completely unavailable currently since the Hawk/Kirkham manufacturing tool broke a few years back.
These parts are advertised openly and are only bought for replicas because owners of original cars choose not to buy them. This is perfectly understandable - original cars have a continuous history, changes made to them form part of that history, and to put them back to completely accurate nut and bolt original condition is, to some extent, to detract from that history. It works either way in my opinion, for what that's worth.

Roger