17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-20-2015, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     
Default Water manifold

I finally gave up trying to work a convoluted tube from my radiator to the passenger's side water pump outlet, and made up a copy of an original in stainless instead. The Otter switches are repros made for Jaguar E-types and readily available, but they probably don't work well - time will tell. Threads are 2BA.

Roger
Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice job! I bought my thermal switch from Brown and Gammons. It's originally for MGB GT V8. Most of the others I kept running across were for choke. Hardly interchangeable!
Larry
Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the compliment. The MGB V8 Otter switch sits in the intake, whereas the Cobra one is in the lower hose, which will generally be a good bit cooler than the intake. Does the MGB one come on at the correct temperature? I'd have thought its heat range would be too high. That's why I chose the two-terminal one sold for V12 E-type, as it too sits in the lower hose.
I'd be really interested to know if yours works OK!

Cheers
Roger
Old 04-20-2015, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can't tell you how it works yet. The that's quite a ways away for me. I was told it should switch the fan on about 170*F but I'm not sure. It doesn't give a temp rating and B & G didn't say in their discription.
Larry
Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
I can't tell you how it works yet. The that's quite a ways away for me. I was told it should switch the fan on about 170*F but I'm not sure. It doesn't give a temp rating and B & G didn't say in their discription.
Larry
OK, we need to keep talking when one of us finds the answer!
Roger
Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds good to me! I have been working on 2583 and I think the owner has one like mine on order from B & G, so I may be able to have an answer in a couple weeks. I'll let you know what I find out.
Larry
Old 04-22-2015, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now this gets interesting. The switch I ordered arrived today, and is marked 92/87°. Obviously this is Celsius, and surprises me because it is sold for the lower hose section of a V12 E-type. I would expect a switch in this position to switch on at a much cooler temp than 92°C, as this is right next to the bottom of the rad and is the coolest part of the cooling system. I also have a switch for an early E-type, which is unmarked. This is a single Lucar connector type and in the kitchen saucepan test (wife was out) it closed contacts at about 90°, so I'll try that. Still some way off first fire-up, though...

Roger
Old 04-22-2015, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I should try mine on the stove and see exactly what temp it closes. I'll let you know what I find.
Larry
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Roger,
Finally got to test my thermal switch on the stove and found it closed at 195*F. Looks pretty close to the one you have and a long way from the 170* I was told. It'll still work for me though.

Larry
Old 05-13-2015, 12:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Roger,
Finally got to test my thermal switch on the stove and found it closed at 195*F. Looks pretty close to the one you have and a long way from the 170* I was told. It'll still work for me though.

Larry
Thanks for letting me know that, Larry. Do you think your lower hose temp will get that high? I tried a bottom-tank switch of around that rating in my Mustang last year and the fan never switched on, even though my infra-red thermometer was showing the engine getting pretty hot. Interesting to see when it's running - I'm still hung up on exhaust manifolds, so can't run anything yet.

Roger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: