Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Neutral     
Thumbs down Bob Bondurant snubbed by Goodwood.

Hello All-
The Cobra Daytona Coupes will all be together for the very first time in history this week.
The 1965 FIA World Manufacturers Championship video on utube tells the story of how that trophy would never have gone to that car, Carroll Shelby, Ford or America that year unless I did what I had to do to win.
That meant not agreeing to Alan Mann's style of rigging races for his English drivers to win, ordering me to stay 500 yards behind them in every race.
History tells us now that I did not go to Europe as Shelby's number one driver to be bullied, disrespected and minimized by English team manager, Alan Mann. History tells you that I went to Europe to win,and I did.
Now 50 years later, the English are somewhat upset that I set the record straight on the utube video released this year "The Impossible Glory" about the 1965 win-- they are so upset with the video that my old friend Lord March has not returned my email and my name has been completely shut out of the Goodwood website around the Daytona Coupes media announcement .
In other words, I was not invited to be re-united with the cars that I made famous by being the primary driver winning 7 of the 10 races for the Championship.
A young fellow working for Lord March, named Jarrah, bounced silly stories around to me that I would be there, but finally wrote me only a few days ago that Goodwood had no money left to bring me over as their guest-- he said it is only about the cars not the drivers, interesting how they are paying for Alan Grant and Pete Brock (and wives,) all expenses covered. I am very happy for them, they are my friends and it will be a real thrill for them to be a part of it all. Pete designed an incredible car that I gave my heart and soul to win every race. Alan was my co-driver in the Monza win.
I heard Lord March re-created the Sebring pit lane, where I won of course! That's a very funny choice to me and Charlie Agapou , my only mechanic in Europe.
Charlie was also in the utube video, so he was not invited either, despite being an Englishman, good grief.
The fans will likely be there in record numbers , probably assuming that I will be there .
It seems to me that nothing has changed in 50 years with the manner, it appears, that Lord March has misunderstood the reason for the truth to be told. He is uncharacteristically not choosing to honor the historical truth of the challenge of a race car driver, he is standing in the way of 'fan history' as he is continuing with his man, the Alan Mann behavior, defending the wrong course.
However; it is his party, and he can do whatever he chooses. I found it important to let you know why I will not be there.
This shut out is being called tragic by the fans , journalists and car enthusiasts. It is sad, the fans do lose a special moment by not witnessing the pictures and autographs, a real historical European moment of the driver with his cars because Goodwood chooses to protect and be offended by an unflattering truth.
It will eventually be revealed, despite it all, this was handled very poorly by Goodwood.
No American driver or American Manufacturer had ever won that Championship before me or ever won it after me, not even 50 years later. I am 82 years old now, it was important for me to release my video so that the young race car drivers can learn from it. That's why I started my 47 year old driving school, to train future champions how to go out and win.
Yes, the incredible Cobra Daytona Coupes are being honored at Goodwood, that is truly a very historical moment . I am sure my sweat is still on the Coupes steering wheels and shifters--- I was one with my Cobras. I will always be a part of them, I will always be the driver that crossed all 7 finish lines and made them famous .... that is my historical moment that lives in my voice, my handshake, my smile that the Goodwood event and staff can not begin to re-create or share with my fans.
Please enjoy watching the video, it's on utube and Bondurant.com -- it's an eye opener, a true underdog story-- the stuff that makes all of us proud to watch someone beat the odds and win for their country!

All the best~
Bob Bondurant

This story was dictated to me by my husband Bob in his true form,in his truest heartfelt words.
Pat Bondurant
September 7th, 2015
Old 09-08-2015, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I saw the video earlier today. Thanks for sharing your side. This kind of crap apparently exists in all sports and various other activities - including the corporate world.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Neutral     

Should have added that this is just a copy and paste from Hemmings daily.
But thought worth sharing on the forum .
Ross
Jim Kellogg likes this.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I am a decade or so behind Bob, Pat and from a different type of racing but I can appreciate the battles and the victories Bob brought home. Bob's story has been one of hard work, hard driving and and an unvarnished will to win — against all odds. I am glad you folks took the effort to tell the story as it could only be told by the warrior himself.

As I watched it made me proud to be an American. Proud to have been able to watch the extraordinary automotive battles that Bob, Ken Miles, Phil Remington, Pete Brock, Shelby and the entire team waged on a bigger than life automotive world stage. They came as underdogs but, tough competitors and took on the Undefeated World Champions beating them at their own game on their own ground for all to see!

The word Inspiring does not do the magnificent performance justice ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 09-08-2015 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Thanks Pat for posting this

we miss you and Bob at the London Cobra Show.

We hope you can make it next year!

Thanks

Dwight
Old 09-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Years ago I went to his driving school at Sears Point, it was a fabulous experience. I then met him in 2004 at an event in Monterey, he sure is a friendly, unassuming guy in person. Too bad he was snubbed at Goodwood.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 FIA 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

It is sad that Bob B was snubbed. However, we should petition for Bob B to have a party at his school in AZ like he did for his Birthday two years ago. We could honor him, let him tell stories and appreciate the man for what he has done.

Dave from WY
Old 09-08-2015, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow! Thanks for posting that Ross! 50 years later and all vintage now but politics still play a role in it! Unreal!
Larry
Old 09-08-2015, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

This certainly taints all that is good at this year's Goodwood.
boxhead likes this.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

He should just show up.

With a baseball cap.

That has the Coupe logo and words that say

I drove the car
Fast289 likes this.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Hey, Bob was the "black sheep" of the Allan Mann team, in period. Maybe it would be cool for one of the Daytona Coupe owners to have Bob go over to Goodwood as a member of that particular Daytona Coupes team?! Surely someone that owns one of the original Daytona Coupes could make that happen and create even more of a special history for that particular Daytona Coupe?!

Just my 2 cents but wouldn't that add more vinegar to their fish & chips on the other side of the pond!!!

I know that Bob has created special memories for many of us...
Attached Images

Riverside racer likes this.

Last edited by CompClassics; 09-08-2015 at 11:51 PM..
Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

I cannot see how a man could treat Bob Bondurant, THE MAN HIMSELF, this way and still consider himself a gentleman. Disgraceful. One might expect it in the Colonies, which after all are a bit vulgar…but at Goodwood? Shameful. Mr. Bondurant, on behalf of gearheads everywhere, I apologize for the way this cretin has chosen to treat you. I suspect you don’t get to Missouri often, but if you and your lovely wife ever desire to stop in I offer you not only the run of the Estate, but I also promise to throw you a party like only a proper Redneck can.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Could someone post a link to the original source of Pat's letter? I looked and couldn't find it.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Could someone post a link to the original source of Pat's letter? I looked and couldn't find it.
I couldn't find the letter, but here's a link to the video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqMNR7Qe82g[/ame]
Jaydee likes this.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

I have seen (and enjoyed) the video, and have a great respect for all of the guys from the era that stepped into the arena in those unforgiving days, certainly including Mr. Bondurant. It's a shame that lesser men now try to re-write what those men wrote large on the pages of automotive racing history--and our collective conscience. Seems a bit like covering the Sistine Chapel in graffiti. Shame on them. I guess it just irks the Mann-erites to this day that Bob Bondurant won it all--and so close to the 4th of July, to boot!!
Old 09-09-2015, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I couldn't find the letter, but here's a link to the video:
Yes, a while ago I posted the video here:

Bob Bondurant - FIA World Championship 50th anniversary, July 4, 1965
CHRIS DAMSCH and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

It's unfortunate the reunion of the original six Cobra Daytona Coupes at Goodwood will be marred by the politics of racing and team dynamics.

Goodwood has been using Bondurant's name freely in promoting the event (https://grrc.goodwood.com/goodwood-r...bCyUvSlqbqx.97), which makes me wonder how many are aware the legendary driver will not be there - notwithstanding his place in racing history.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Bob's story is a little reminiscent of Montgomery and Patton.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Congrats to Pat Bondurant for the outstanding video, well done!

I have been to Goodwood for the "Revival" and to me there is no better vintage racing event in the world, it is very unfortunate that politics have gotten in the way of history and those that participated in creating that history.
boxhead likes this.

Last edited by CompClassics; 09-09-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Old 09-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Bondurant should be the #1 guest!
boxhead likes this.