• 2 Post By Dan Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default engine bay paint

Dear fellow forum members.

I recently read in one of my Cobra books (think it was McComb Willson but not sure) that when the alloy bodies came back from the different coach builders to Thames Ditton factory, they started the paint process.
Then they used covers during the process to protect those parts of the car that should not get exterior color. But what exactly did they cover, and to which extent? engine bay? boot? interior section?

We know from a previos post by Ned S how the boot was painted/colored. That is clear.

But what did they do to the engine bay? Did they cover it up completly? Did they prime e.g. the inner parts of fenders?
Which color?
We also know that footboxes were left as plastic material was.

In old pictures we also see that they painted without the dashboard attached.
Same question: did they spray at least primer "under" the dash section? Or was it simply kept in alloy?

Anyone period color photos?

Calling all experts on originality now!

Last edited by Ghiblicup; 11-21-2016 at 12:30 PM..
Old 06-09-2016, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

I can only speak for the UK/Europe market cars - COB6029 has no body colour paint anywhere internally below the bonnet opening apart from the bonnet prop rod. As far as I can tell, nothing on the dash underside.

Roger
Old 06-10-2016, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you Roger,
so they kept e.g. inner fenders in alloy? No primer - nothing?

Below carpets? e.g. pannel over gearbox?

Inner doors?

Most manufaturers did paint These sections black in one of the early stages of the paint process. What did AC do?

I keep searching old photographs, but there is nothing really visibly, as it is all b/w
Old 06-10-2016, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For UK market leafspring cars, inner wings are bare alloy, gearbox tunnel and dash are bare alloy, but for cars I have examined the inside skin of bonnet, boot and doors are body colour. Inside of doors then covered with glued-on carpet.
As said, bonnet prop-rod was body colour.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
For UK market leafspring cars, inner wings are bare alloy, gearbox tunnel and dash are bare alloy, but for cars I have examined the inside skin of bonnet, boot and doors are body colour. Inside of doors then covered with glued-on carpet.
As said, bonnet prop-rod was body colour.
I speak to normal production cars, not prototypes, not factory show cars, and not chassis designated racers at the time of order from AC.

This applies to AC Cars.

Cobra chassis were nearly complete when painted by AC Cars. The chassis was masked everywhere body color was not supposed to be, tape and paper mostly. Masking was not perfect usually so primer and body color can usually be found in hidden places if you look or are taking an unrestored car apart. It is not unusual to find body color over spray on tops of fuel tanks, under the dash, and stray primer or color mist droplets on suspension parts. Painters walked around the car applying finishes but apparently didn’t kneel down to get complete coverage along the bottom edges; for example on my black car there was no primer or body color on the side rocker panels past the tangent of the aluminum wrapping around the lower birdcage tubing. Said another way there was no paint beyond the line of sight.

The undersides of boot and bonnet lids were painted body color. The interior of the boot compartment was painted silver except for the spare wheel well which was left in white gel coat after assembly (yes wires and all).

Inside the front and inner wings (fenders) were coated heavily with an undercoating near the end of AC Cars processes. This coating sealed around rivets, screws, provided sound deadening for sand and gravel thrown from tires, and in front reduced the tendency for rocks to ding tops of fenders and create stars in the paint. Light over spray from this process on the suspension was normal.

All other interior inner panels weren’t painted and that included the foot boxes.

Early cars used plated spring clips for bonnet prop rod storage while CSX2201 onward prop rod j hooks were painted chassis black by dipping in paint. Because they were installed before painting it is normal for body color paint to be on the attachment end that couldn’t be masked easily or well. Body color over spray on the rod, which is actually a thin wall tube, has been seen in new car factory images. Body color over spray on under dash wiring high up under the edge of the cowl has been seen also. Over spray on the fuel cap adapter is normal.

A standard practice for most chassis was to respray the entire chassis top side and underside of the partially assembled chassis with chassis black paint. Sometimes paint coverage was real good so the only “color” visible was black. Sometimes paint coverage was poor with the respray only in lines of sight from outside the car perimeter. Most of the time differentials were painted over with chassis black and sometimes just their exposed bottoms. Sometimes the sides of wooden floor shims were painted well and sometimes not. Naturally parts not included in the chassis yet didn’t get the black respray. Example: I salvaged the original tie rod ends from a Cobra. During the car’s rebuild it got new modern replacements. I wanted the originals. Unless somebody damaged them removing them tie rod ends were very durable except for the rubber dust boots. I can find new period dust boots and apply fresh grease. As I cleaned up the units I went through the layers of dirt and paint. The forging were painted gloss black by the maker before machining, over that was some specks of primer, over that lots of red over spray especially on the dust boots and spring retainer, over that gloss black which I take to be AC Cars chassis black, over that dirt, and over the dirt was over spray from the car’s repaint in the 1980s.

Final assembler works and selling dealers are a different set of stories. The term “original paint” means something different depending on your particular definition of “original”.

Original = as applied by AC Cars

Original = as applied whoever completed the chassis into running cars, Shelby, Hugus, and a couple of others. A very high percentage of chassis that AC Cars painted required something between small damage repairs to major body work after being shipped. A brand new Cobra being loaded up to shipment to a selling dealer would be perfectly normal with small touch ups to complete body color respray. In some cases cars were repainted different colors to fill and order for a car in a particular color. (See Registry)

Original = as applied by the selling dealer. Most Cobras were painted with nitrocellulose based lacquer at AC Cars; very late cars in acrylic lacquer. The nitrocellulose base paints were very fragile. Most chemicals would attack them, they chipped easily, and they were very easy to scratch. It was not rare for selling dealers to completely repaint cars in their inventory in a more durable paint of some type. In some cases they charged the work back to Shelby (see Registry).

In regards to repaints by final assemblers and dealers, masking was usually not very good. The very best one owner “original paint” cars now were ones repainted completely by somebody. Look closely and tape lines and over spray can be found everywhere on just about anything from rubber grommets for bumper supports to LIFT THE DOT® studs. Repainted cars with side wing vents almost always have body color over spray inside the engine bay from painters trying to get good coverage of vent vanes.

Now for the inconsistent black paint. We have no idea if it was final assemblers or dealers but many cars have considerable amounts of a black paint in varying levels of gloss inside the nacelle forward of the radiator. Sometimes everything is well covered and sometimes one side is well covered. I have pictures of a one owner car that looks like somebody stuck a spray gun nozzle in the gap between body and radiator in just one place and made one pull of the gun trigger as black paint is just in lines of sight from that one spot.
1985 CCX, LMH, db replicas and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Dan Case; 04-09-2024 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: add detail
Old 06-12-2016, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What a fantastic sum up!
Old 06-12-2016, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiblicup View Post
What a fantastic sum up!
That's Dan for you. World authority, and generous with it.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

@ Dan. I was thinking about your fantastic report on the paint process.

Maybe you know some of the answers to my following aditional questions:

* Why would they cover e.g the inner pannels and not paint them black as the chassis? Or paint them in body color?

* Did AC use any form of primer for the bodies at all? If so, which Color did they use for the primer?

* The paint process you descirbe was obviously done in a rush. How many layers of paint were attached? Asume lighter colors may have needed thicker layers?

* If the painters were not even going down on their knees, so aloy sheets under seats were not covered at all? Or was later (at Shelby US) some undercoating?

* What did they do with the already aplied wiring during the paint process? Try to cover them with paper/tape really?

After all this, weren't customers back then not "surprised" on the standard of finish they got paintwise?
Old 11-21-2016, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

[quote=Ghiblicup;1409393]@ Dan. I was thinking about your fantastic report on the paint process.

PM sent.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Dan

Always an education.
Often times when I try to convey these details to people and they cannot understand old car manufacturing and how the quality was not like a restored car.
Most replicas are nicer than original cars.

Ty Dan
Old 11-23-2016, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Repaint telltales: Here are two clips from pictures taken some years ago now of a one owner original paint, unrestored, and supposedly unmodified Cobra. When the pictures were shared with me I took quite a few exceptions to the unrestored and unmolested claims but the most interesting detail was the claim of original paint. One has to go back to my list above to define what that means. There was evidence all over the car that it had been completely repainted early in its existence. It doesn’t take an expert to find places not masked well or different shades of paint showing. We use to look for such signs on used cars in the 1960s and 1970s when hunting for interesting cars for sale in used car lots.

Here’s an example of a tape line and overspray on a fender emblem. When AC Cars painted the coachwork emblems had not been installed yet.

This is an example of a different previous color being exposed at a paint chip. I don’t know what color name the car was repainted with but is was for sure different that the red AC Cars applied first. Notice the difference in the exposed previous paint job.

To the original owner of this car, the final top coat red you see was the ‘original paint’ he is said to have claimed.
1985 CCX and LMH like this.