Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Jamo

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     
Default Was Boris Vallejo's "Mistress of Fire" ever a real car?

I grew up assuming that Boris Vallejo's "Mistress of Fire" 427 S/C was actually a real car.

I've seen a ton of models of it, and a few replicas, but now that I do systematic research, I am finding nothing on a real car with the Vallejo art.

My curiousity overcomes my normal good sense in this matter, and I would hope someone with actual knowledge could chime in on this.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B 289
Not Ranked     

1998 Replica/Kit Makes 427 SHELBY COBRA SC | eBay
Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianamoon View Post
That's the ebay ad which inspired this question. Lots of uninformed folks commenting on other forums about this paint scheme.

It's like not liking the Andy Warhol BMW M1. It's one thing to say "that doesn't belong on a Cobra" and another to say you don't care for it.

Fact is, I believe since it is a reasonably well done tribute, it does, indeed, "belong on a Cobra". The question is, is it a "tribute" to a real CSX 3xxx or is it a "tribute" to a nonexistent fantasy car?

BTW, I think $50k for a 347 powered, stock T5 transmission live axle 10 year old replica is just insane. And is irrelevant to the conversation.

Last edited by 120mm; 04-13-2017 at 10:50 PM..
Old 04-14-2017, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

What "belongs" on a Cobra is whatever the owner wants to do to it.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

That's the ebay ad which inspired this question. Lots of uninformed folks commenting on other forums about this paint scheme.

So, inform us. Was this '70s van abomination actually painted on an original at some point?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
BTW, I think $50k for a 347 powered, stock T5 transmission live axle 10 year old replica is just insane. And is irrelevant to the conversation.
That's actually what I got stuck on. I like semi-naked warrior women just as much as the next guy but is that mural worth $20k?

I don't think so but then I don't smoke crack either.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky781 View Post
What "belongs" on a Cobra is whatever the owner wants to do to it.
That's not relevant to the search for an actual original Cobra that Boris Vallejo may have painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricopa View Post

So, inform us. Was this '70s van abomination actually painted on an original at some point?
That's the question at hand.

Did Boris Vallejo actually paint an original Cobra, or did the model precede the replicas? Franklin Mint strongly implies it was on an original 1966 CSX 3xxx series, but offers no source.

And please, if you have no knowledge but just want to troll, keep your opinions to yourself.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Not Ranked     

That wasn't a troll dude, it was asking a question. The way you commented about the 'uninformed' led me to believe that you considered yourself 'informed' about the subject. Obviously that is not the case.

Oh and I'll post my opinion any ****ing time I feel like it, thank you very much.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricopa View Post
That wasn't a troll dude, it was asking a question. The way you commented about the 'uninformed' led me to believe that you considered yourself 'informed' about the subject. Obviously that is not the case.

Oh and I'll post my opinion any ****ing time I feel like it, thank you very much.
Or maybe you can't read and understand simple English.

Boris Vallejo's "Mistress of Fire" has become a "trope" on a Shelby Cobra. At least enough for Franklin Mint to issue 1/18th scale replicas.

By "uninformed" opinion, I'm talking about those asshats who call it a '70s van paintjob".

Someone, somewhere, either has seen it on a real deal Cobra, or knows the story of how it became a replica without an original.

Your inability to shut your cockholster about things you have no information about is well known. And that is the definition of a troll, troll.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So in other words you don't have a clue whether anybody actually painted a real Cobra with that ugly-assed '70s van looking abortion.

But tell something Mr. Internet badass insult man, is Newton Ia, anywhere near Lamoni because I'll be there in a couple weeks and I'd love to talk all about my 'cockholster' with a tough guy like you.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Let's be nice folks...
Dwight, Ron61, 1795 and 1 others like this.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought I was.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5. 460 with carb
Not Ranked     

So what did we find out ?
Old 06-25-2020, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Interesting discussion - how did I miss this one back in '017?

Out of curiosity, I pulled my own Franklin Mint "Mistress" Cobra out of it's case to read the card that is attached to it. Unfortunately, it only contained a bunch of trademark mumbo-jumbo in deference to Shelby's legal gunslingers who rode roughshod over the Cobra frontier back in the day.

I never did hear or really care whether there was an original Cobra actually painted by Vallejo, but I'm now also curious. The issue of outrage over the artwork and what "belongs on a Cobra" is irrelevant to me here, as we are discussing a part of Cobra culture that exists whether we like it or not.

Many things that are declared by us to be non-kosher for Cobras like weird full width roll bars and automatic trannys (an *ahem* tongue-in-cheek tribute to the c--kholster comments from the original thread ) were installed by Shelby himself on his own cars, so who are we to quibble?

As an example - feast your eyes on Tara Browne's psychedelic Cobra from the 1960's. Eye-watering by our current sensibilities to be sure; but it did exist and is part of Cobra history.

So if anyone has any new info on the Mistress of Fire, I'd love to hear it. When I have some spare time I'll do some digging myself.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-25-2020, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A quick re-look at the paperwork from Franklin Mint reveals that they refer to it as "a die cast model spectacularly enhanced with original artwork by Boris Vallejo." It's also accompanied by Vallejo's signature, so that implies to me it was a Franklin Mint inspired follow up to their successful and spectacular regular 427 Cobra model intended to appeal to fans of both cars and Dungeons & Dragons fantasy artwork.
I doubt that any original was ever painted that way prior to the release of the model.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 06-25-2020, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do know where one is but don’t know how to put a pic of it here.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Copy and paste the web address of the page where its located - assuming of course you're referring to a picture on the web - and i'll post the pic.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Many things that are declared by us to be non-kosher for Cobras like weird full width roll bars and automatic trannys (an *ahem* tongue-in-cheek tribute to the c--kholster comments from the original thread ) were installed by Shelby himself on his own cars, so who are we to quibble?
[/quote]

I have always said the 2 greatest Hot Rodders were Dr Porsche & Carrol Shelby. To them, changing and modifying something to try and make it faster, better handling, was what they were all about (and making money to support their habit- fast cars)!

One of the most outrageous paint jobs was the Porsche Pink Pig. It had the markings of the cuts of meat from a butcher shop!

each of us have our own idea of what we like in paint jobs and finishes. To each his own!
Old 06-26-2020, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got it . My dad built it in 05. I got pics on my phone.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now that is interesting! I'd really like to know more. Like what brand of replica is it and how was the artwork applied - airbrush/paint or vinyl wrap? There are photo hosting sites that you can upload the photos to and then link here. Tell us more.