Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2018, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Complete agreement xb-60. However, the OP appears to have significantly conflicted goals, each with its own set of pro and con opinions and possible build paths. The OP's build goal is still conflicted in his own head. The continually evolving path of the post pretty well indicated the confusion.

I believe he needs to decide what his build goal is before pro and/or con opinions can provide any real benefit or additional clarity to navigating a particular path. Either he is going to be very period correct or he is going to have a fun attitude adjustment car. Of course he may end up with some type of hybrid that is neither but rather a mix of both — all are valid build goals

Establishing a critical build path makes the assumption you know what you are building to. He has yet to make that determination.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA - 1964 - 289 HIPO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
This is an easy answer. Just do it.

Now we are managing to conflict a pretty straight forward goal by moving the goal posts.

Obviously we felt the goal post needed one more nudge to be in better conflict with the original goal.

Spot on! Now we have a fairly easy to see conflict, even for the casual observer, with no possible resolution that will satisfy all goals

I think you have prepared an excellent Denver Omelet of goals and conflicts that is for all intents and purposes insoluble.

You are to be congratulated, this is not an easy goaling matrix to achieve ...

Ed
Hi Ed,

Your response made me laugh! You nailed it.

That's exactly how my brain is at the moment.

Thanks for your input
Old 05-29-2018, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I’ll give you food for thought on the question of how far to go on originality, that I’m dealing with right now. Last week, I ordered a whole car wiring harness that once finished, will be just under $3000. A lot of choices on how far to go will come down to money and what’s important to you.
Larry
Old 05-29-2018, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

unless you are not period correct from the bottom, that means correct chassis, suspension, body, etc. it makes imho no sense to take a 289 five bolt engine,

I would go for a 302 stroked, bored, happy, etc. which looks like a 289 as mentioned,
its coherent with the car, looking perfect period correct from all perspectives but isn't really
Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

The very first two questions you should attempt to get answers for are the What and Why questions.

What am I trying to do?

Why am I trying to do it?

These will be like a lighthouse beacon in terms of guiding you to a successful, timely and cost effective solution. The rest of the detail stuff and minutiae will fall into place once you have answers for these two questions.

Ed
66gtk likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 05-29-2018 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 05-29-2018, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
The very first two questions you should attempt to get answers for are the What and Why questions.

What am I trying to do?

Why am I trying to do it?

These will be like a lighthouse beacon in terms of guiding you to a successful, timely and cost effective solution. The rest of the detail stuff and minutiae will fall into place once you have answers for these two questions.

Ed

To that I would add: "Who am I doing this for?"

Answer those questions and the solution may quickly become much clearer.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

To the original question: As far as you want and can afford.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
I’ll give you food for thought on the question of how far to go on originality, that I’m dealing with right now. Last week, I ordered a whole car wiring harness that once finished, will be just under $3000. A lot of choices on how far to go will come down to money and what’s important to you.
Larry
Hi Larry,

WOW! that's awesome. It kinda puts my issues into perspective. Even by my standards, that is a step too far although I admire anyone who is prepared to do it!
Bearing in mind the other comments from all the other guys, the general consensus is, do what you want, but at the end of the day its still got a RHS Chassis and GRP Body.

I am therefore leaning back towards the 302 (Boss?)/Tremec route

I may however still acquire the period correct Block/Heads/BellHousing and Tranny and keep for a rainy day.

Thanks for your input.
LMH and xb-60 like this.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
unless you are not period correct from the bottom, that means correct chassis, suspension, body, etc. it makes imho no sense to take a 289 five bolt engine,

I would go for a 302 stroked, bored, happy, etc. which looks like a 289 as mentioned,
its coherent with the car, looking perfect period correct from all perspectives but isn't really
Peter,

I believe that you are correct, my heart was ruling my head for a while.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2018, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by crendonman427sc View Post
Hi Glen,

No I haven't sourced anything yet, (I have first refusal though), as I am still trying to understand whether the period casting numbers on the Block/Heads/Tranny and Bell Housing, would be just a step too far.

At the end of the day no one will know, unless they have a spotlight to see the casting numbers or have a capability of counting up to 6

How can something be a replica, if its totally different to the original?

Mind you, BDR don't do too bad

Regards

David
Thats exactly it..! You are either building a Replica , or a driver car that closely resembles a Cobra .
Old 05-30-2018, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Agreed....but if it pushes your buttons to use an engine/gearbox exactly the same as an early sixties 289 Cobra.....
Old 05-31-2018, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There's a lot to be said for the solid-lifter sound of a genuine HiPo. Also, some states determine the emission controls required based on the year of the block

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 05-31-2018, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
There's a lot to be said for the solid-lifter sound of a genuine HiPo.
Ah yes, it's almost erotic.

John O
HealeyRick likes this.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

Engine numbers? Bah! At a car show, somebody walking around wants to see something that looks right. And if they have their kids along, that is even better. Back in the day I had a 1962 Corvette...with the wrong engine. Looked right...air cleaner, valve covers, on and on. And sometimes at a show, people would ask me if it was matching numbers. I always acted relieved and replied with "Man, it looks right, but I don't know. Tell me what numbers I need to look at and what that means." I never had anyone that could answer...they just wanted to run down my car for being "non-matching" numbers because they were jealous I had a car to show and they didn't.

I drive a Backdraft Cobra. I have tried to make the engine look mostly right, but I never pretend it is real. When someone comes to a car show, I want them to have a good time. If looking at a car that mostly looks right, or looks right in their memory, well, I have done my job.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester67 View Post
"Man, it looks right, but I don't know. Tell me what numbers I need to look at and what that means."
That's a pretty dang good response. I may have to use that just to see the reaction. Better yet, whip out my phone and ask if I can interview the guy while he "schools" me.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
There's a lot to be said for the solid-lifter sound of a genuine HiPo. Also, some states determine the emission controls required based on the year of the block
Nothing beats the sound and feel of a solid lifter cam with a healthy amount of overlap. Forget the performance, you can get that in any configuration, it's the sound and feel that you want... and it's always there for you. Slow speeds, highway, at stop lights, idling, always. And what's really fun is when other guys say "Jeez, is it supposed to sound like that?"
HealeyRick, xb-60 and vntgspd like this.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

As many have already said, "do what pleases you." I just wanted a car that
looked as much like the Cobra I owned in the late 60's as my 75 year old
mind can remember! The ERA fits the memory perfectly. It looks and feels
like the REAL thing. I could care less that the body is fiberglas and the frame
is square tube and the buggy springs aren't there. The body shape is spot on
and the SW instrumentation is correct. I put in a vintage glove box knob because
I specifically remember that piece for some reason. My original was a slab
side and at the time I wanted the unobtainable FIA wheels and now I even have
those! I'm very happy with the ERA. It's right...for me.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ha! The Phone Interview is BRILLIANT! One of my pet peeves is someone that goes to a car show just to run down the entrants. I have been a car guy over thirty years and have owned just about all the American brands and most of the English ones. Do I know it all? Nope. Do I know enough to correct people looking at the cars when the owner showing the car is not comfortable doing so? You bet! I figure if they can be an ass, I can beat that play! The shows should be fun and to bring new fans to the hobby...not to run down all the people that spend all that time to bring their car out.

And yes, I have roller rockers in my Cobra small block but I won't deny the perfection in sound that is the solid lifter engine!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For some people, doing the research and tracking down the right pieces is an enjoyable part of the process. I really like looking at cars like John Olsen's that remind me of what these cars looked like when they were new, even if I know they are a replica. I tried to duplicate a period swap of a '64 Cobra driveline into my Healey, even though I was using a 5.0L motor and T5Z. It was fun trying to make the motor period correct and figuring out how to make the original Healey gauges play with the motor. I always enjoy folks at shows pointing out my "original" HiPo 289, although I end up telling them the truth. Lots of guys would be happy doing a swap with modern electronic gauges, etc., but seeing the original stuff just feels right to me.

cycleguy55 and Winchester67 like this.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 05-31-2018, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am in love with your Austin Healey. I often tell the tale of the Austin Healey 3000 I had set up for a 327 Chevy back in the 80's. Because I traded it and a flipped MG Midget to the owner of a local jewelry shop back then for a wedding ring...and it was the only car deal I ever made that I lost money on! (Dang first wife and what she cost me....)
HealeyRick likes this.