Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     
Default Stunning 289

This is a stunning example of a pretty much perfect recreation of a UK spec RHD Cobra as it would have come out of the showroom in 1964.

1965 Cobra 289 MK II continuation - Duncan Hamilton ROFGO

I know the car well and I doubt you will find a more fastidiously detailed and accurate example anywhere....period. There probably aren't many, if any, genuine Cobras restored to this level of accuracy.

Feast your eyes...

Paul
1985 CCX and LoBelly like this.

Last edited by FatBoy; 06-20-2018 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: minor edit.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

It certainly is beautiful! Very nicely done.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very nice! I like the use of correct exhaust manifolds instead of headers and Girling brakes. A lot of attention to detail there!

Larry
Old 06-19-2018, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Beautiful!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Yes, the builder did a very good job. Correct details on the dash (ammeter/fuel gauge/water temp gauge) are good to see.

Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 06-20-2018 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: Spelin
Old 06-20-2018, 03:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is one beautiful Cobra and he did a fantastic job on it. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-20-2018, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know the owner/builder very well and the meticulous research and attention to detail is astounding. Apart from the tiny concessions listed, it is a definitive example of a 289 "COBxxxx" Cobra of the period. Sadly, it needs to go to fund the next project.
It will need an owner who will appreciate the enormous time, effort and skill that has gone into creating it and who specifically wants an exacting recreation with all that brings with it.
KMS should buy it as a shining example of one of their cars.

Paul
Old 06-20-2018, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Very nice! I like the use of correct exhaust manifolds instead of headers and Girling brakes. A lot of attention to detail there!

Larry

This is truly a beautiful car. Are these the correct exhaust manifolds for a 289 Cobra? MORE NEW COBRA STUFF FROM HAWK I believe I had seen them before but they were not being reproduced.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 06-20-2018, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
This is truly a beautiful car. Are these the correct exhaust manifolds for a 289 Cobra? MORE NEW COBRA STUFF FROM HAWK I believe I had seen them before but they were not being reproduced.
Yes, those look to be correct. I got mine from McCluskey but it looks like Gerry is making them too.
Larry
HealeyRick likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I may be wrong, but I don’t think this car uses Hawk manifolds. I recall that for some reason they weren’t correct for a Cobra.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Unless there’s some difference in the size, those look like what was used on original Cobras.
I’m sure no expert on COB cars though, so it’s possible they used something else but I kind of doubt it.
Larry
Old 06-20-2018, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry to take this farther afield, but there are some pictured in this thread that look like the Hawk ones: SlabSide exhaust manifolds Wonder how they flowed?

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 06-20-2018, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The manifolds on this car were from McCluskey and although Gerry’s manifolds weren’t correct at the time, they are now.
LMH likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Paul, tell the owner I'm really impressed with his build. Just noticed he even got the door alignment bumpers in! Almost no one gets that right!
Larry
Old 06-20-2018, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Nice looking 289 Cobra overall!
There is a lot of nice details throughout but there are some details that can be improved upon. Any idea of the price that the owner is asking?

Last edited by CompClassics; 06-20-2018 at 10:51 PM..
Old 06-20-2018, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
There is a lot of nice details throughout but there are some details that can be improved upon. Any idea of the price that the owner is asking?
Okay, I’m intrigued, what do you think can be improved?

Paul
Old 06-21-2018, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
I inquired about the price. Haven't received a response yet.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post

Somebody on the west coast of the USA is making replacement iron Y manifolds also.

(AC Cars was the original supplier of all the iron Y manifolds and fabricated exhaust system components including mufflers except chromium plated tail pipe tips. Small parts wise Dorman® provided studs for the down pipes, Shakeproof® provided the internal tooth lock washers for the iron manifold fixing twelve point cap screws, Ferry Cap & Set Screw Company® provided the twelve point cap screws to secure the iron manifolds, and Dunlop® supplied the vibration isolator mounts near the mufflers through a subsidiary.

The iron Y manifolds for Cobras are different than the ultra rare Ford offered ones for Ford Falcons. Very rare Sunbeam Tiger iron Y manifolds offer by Rootes were not the same as Cobra or Falcon versions.

Early AC Cars casting included their part number cast into each Y manifold. Most iron Y manifolds for Cobras have no text included.

All but cars near the end with 4V and all 2-4V induction systems required exhaust heated air for the automatic choke pull off system. Engine installers had to braze or electrically weld a for the purpose fitting to one Y manifold. A steel tube was inserted into that fitting and connected to the automatic choke mechanisms.)
HealeyRick likes this.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post

I know the car well and I doubt you will find a more fastidiously detailed and accurate example anywhere....period. There probably aren't many, if any, genuine Cobras restored to this level of accuracy.

Paul
All right. I understand passion for these cars. And I comprehend the level of skill and workmanship that goes into building a recreation of a car that is now over 50 years old. But I have to ask, please do not reach the point where you say, "This replica is more accurate than most original Cobras." It simply is not true. Even suggesting this implies that the owners of the COB/ COX cars from the 60's are somehow less involved, less interested, and less passionate about these automobiles than the people building the new ones. And I can say from over 45 years of experience in knowing Cobra owners and owning Cobras myself, do not minimize the love and care that the owners of the originals lavish on their prized possessions by suggesting your car is a more accurate example. Especially in order to sell it. Thanks.
A-Snake, 4pipes and RodKnock like this.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
All right. I understand passion for these cars. And I comprehend the level of skill and workmanship that goes into building a recreation of a car that is now over 50 years old. But I have to ask, please do not reach the point where you say, "This replica is more accurate than most original Cobras." It simply is not true. Even suggesting this implies that the owners of the COB/ COX cars from the 60's are somehow less involved, less interested, and less passionate about these automobiles than the people building the new ones. And I can say from over 45 years of experience in knowing Cobra owners and owning Cobras myself, do not minimize the love and care that the owners of the originals lavish on their prized possessions by suggesting your car is a more accurate example. Especially in order to sell it. Thanks.
Ned, you do have to admit that many (most?) original cars are so altered over the last 50 plus years that many aren't "original" anymore and I think that's what Paul is getting at. I got into a disagreement with an owner of a beautiful silver leaf spring car from southern CA that told me the dual 4V set up on his car was original and was how it came from SA when new but the truth is the only thing correct on the entire induction system was the intake manifold. Passionate yes but misinformed.
From what Paul is saying, I don't see any minimization of original owners passion for their cars. On the contrary, I see someone so passionate about Cobras that he tried to replicate it to the smallest degree. (Well, except the radiator, fan, shifter gaiter and a couple heres and theres but...)
That's how I read it anyway.
Larry