21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2018, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: genuine 289 cobra (cox 6013)
Not Ranked     
Default Steering wheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
Do you mean the length of the slots? If so, can you give the measurements? I'd be interested to know as I don't remember 6029's being any different.
Are the spokes narrower on the old one? Hard to tell in the photo!
On original 16 steering wheel slot lenght is 96.40 mm,replica is shorter
Old 07-25-2018, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNIE View Post
On original 16 steering wheel slot lenght is 96.40 mm,replica is shorter
Thanks Bernie, yes - the new wheel slots are 90mm. Not sure I'd call it a replica, they've been in continuous production by the same company for 50 years - more like 'the current offering' I think!

Are the spokes narrower?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

The spokes are narrower in both total width and the width on either side of the teardrop opening. If they current steering wheels are not exact to the originals in every detail than they are something other that original............how about a Continuation Series?
Old 01-26-2022, 09:45 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Steering wheel Identification

Greetings. I know this is an old thread. Hopefully it will trigger input from some of the original posters and new alike. I'm wondering what your take is on this wheel I have. I've spoken to numerous people about it and gotten mixed responses. Some believe its is what they call a "Gen 1 Branda" repro and some think it may be an original 65 wheel. The bend on the spokes looks like an original, as all the repros I've seen start bending after the spoke hole on the outer end of the spoke. The bend on the wheel I have starts before the spoke hole ends and is a much more gradual bend. Also the angle toward the center of the wheel is closer to the center and is also more gradual than the repros.

Other things to note about this wheel -

- No visible metal on outside edge, however the wheel is extremely worn and the metal has started peeking through.
- No markings or stampings anywhere on the wheel.

I'd value any input. Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by scottyb332; 01-26-2022 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: adding info
Old 01-26-2022, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It could be a real Moto Lita wheel but ones used on Cobras were 16". All three spokes were split at the center and held in place on the hub and the wheel had a dish to it.
Is your wheel 15"? Moto Lita did make and still does, 15" wheels,
That's what it looks like to me from the photos.
Larry
Old 01-26-2022, 02:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Cobras were all 16"
They had no modern Moto-Lita stampings
Attached Images

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 01-27-2022 at 07:22 AM..
Old 01-31-2022, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here you go, if you want the correct steering wheel for your 427 replica to make it authentic, this is the definitive answer! No worries about material, wrong bends or colors! Don't forget the little cobra emblem to the right of the center instruments and AM radio!
Old 02-01-2022, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The above photo was from the August 1983 issue of Road & Track magazine article titled Cobra Replicas. In that article, they pitted a Contemporary 427 and an ERA 427 against a real Cobra 427. Two of the cars had the AC issued steering wheel, while one of the cars had the wheel you see above. Any guises to which car the above photo belonged to?
Old 02-24-2022, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Funny thing about the photo I posted above, it took a great load off of my shoulders! I realized, no mater which version I end up with, even a CSX8000, it will not be the real deal! I was vacillating between a TASCA Herbie Hancock 260, or a Ed Hugus, double badge 260, or possibly a SPF MKII done up as a tribute to COX6057 The Cobra In The Bedroom! Looking at that ugly steering wheel, and the cheesy plastic snake on an original 427 Side Oiler, it doesn't mater what we do to our replicas, just as long as were having fun, since it's smiles per miles that count!
Old 02-25-2022, 02:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default leather wheel

I changed the large wood wheel for the 14" leather wheel, much easier to get in and out.
Perry
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
dual 2" roll bars, warmed up 302, E Street aluminum Heads, Comp cam and roller rockers, AOD, 4.10 Eaton Possi, Power Baer/disc brakes, block hugger headers, 2 1/2" under car exhaust, F500 18" black spoke wheels.