Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jeff’s our of town but coming back tonight I think. He’ll get back to you guys ASAP.
Larry
Old 08-10-2018, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 289 Street
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andheeezonit View Post
Beautiful, cost and availability please. Just when I thought that I was almost done!
It's never done, trust me.

Check your PM-
Old 08-10-2018, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
Looking forward to these, thanks Jeff.
One question though - does anyone know how these fix to the chassis? I know the mounting holes should line up with the 'U' section outrigger supports under the ali floor pans, two each side. But when I've tried to fit originals before the inner mount positions are impossible to access due to the main chassis tube position (chassis's a Kirkham - same dimensions as original AC). Is there a trick to this - am I missing something?
Jeff, do the new ones come with threaded studs for mounting to the floor, or do we need to use machine screws?
Roger,

Consider these NOS Leverolls.. that accurate in all dimensions. Perhaps some pix of your car chassis would speed up the info flow?

Tracks come with no fasteners. That decision is up to you. SA crews brazed in countersunk headed fasteners right over the plating. Sometimes hex head bolts were brazed in as well, after the track was counter bored. I have a ton of pix from the originals that have a more than a few different type of fasteners used. Even seen stick welded threaded rod used.. not pretty!

Perhaps Dan can chime in with what he has in his research-
Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF View Post
Unfortunately I did not get the details as requested on my PM.
Could you please tell us the price for a set?
Thanks
ALF,

The only PMs I have received from you were the day the thread was started, and it was a double PM with the same question asking for pix. I didn't reply because you stated a little later on that you could now see the images on the thread.

PM me again, and I'll advise details.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

PM sent
Thank you
Old 08-14-2018, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey All,

Thanks for the support and compliments on this project, they are all gone.

Cobrakiwi, 1985CCX, I received your payment today and will ship when payment confirmed. Everyone else who sent payment, yours are in transit via UPS Ground.

When you get them, PM me and let me know how you like 'em. It was a fun project, and hope you get plenty of compliments once installed. LMK if you have any other ideas of 289 Cobra-centric parts that need to 'exist' again.

Thanks again, Gentlemen-

Best-

Jeff
Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armrer View Post
Roger,

Consider these NOS Leverolls.. that accurate in all dimensions. Perhaps some pix of your car chassis would speed up the info flow?

Tracks come with no fasteners. That decision is up to you. SA crews brazed in countersunk headed fasteners right over the plating. Sometimes hex head bolts were brazed in as well, after the track was counter bored. I have a ton of pix from the originals that have a more than a few different type of fasteners used. Even seen stick welded threaded rod used.. not pretty!

Perhaps Dan can chime in with what he has in his research-
1St things first. Your new track assemblies look fantastic. I could have put two sets to good use in 2016 on a friend’s car.

I will spare you the very long retelling of all that I have learned. In summary my conclusion is that AC Cars:

1) Had the supplier do it or did it themselves, the track fixing screw holes were chamfered for countersink headed set screws.

2) Installed ¼ BSW self finished carbon steel flat head countersink set screws from the cockpit side with a thin self colored (see note 1) hardened steel flat washer, a self colored split spiral lock washer, and a mid World War II specification (see note 2) onward self colored (in this case bare steel) full hex nut machined from bar stock with a single chamfered side (see note 3).

Note 1: Self colored fasteners normally means any finish (bare metal no protection, bare metal with oil or grease protection, oxides from heat treatment and oil, phosphates with or without added dye or oil, or black coatings with or without added dye or oil) that were not electroplated onto the part. AC Cars wise there were hundreds of “self colored” fasteners in a Cobra.

Note 2: In my never ending hunt for original specification fasteners I found new old stock nuts machined from hex bar stock in two different versions of Imperial hexagon sizes. One of the vendors told me that during World War II the British government had their industries reduce the hexagonal bar cross section sizes downward to stretch steel supplies for the war effort. Said another way, you might find nuts on a given thread size that have two significantly different across the flats wrench sizes. If you have two nuts on the bench that require two different British wrench sizes you have one pre-war (larger of the two) and one war time onward (smaller of the two) in front of you. AC Cars used the mid World War II and onward hex sizes.

Note 3: There are many obsolete fasteners in an original Cobra that are extremely hard to find replacements for used or new old stock. One of them is the ¼ BSW single chamfer hex nuts machined from WWII onward Imperial hex bar stock. If you want to make some I can help with the details as I have hunted for a couple of years for some new ones worldwide and not found a single one.

Note 4: On an original car, having the inside rear screw permanently fixed in place makes removing and installing washers and nuts up against the chassis tube behind a gusset a tough job. If the screws are short it can be ultra hard. Done AC Cars way we can install a pair of seats in a few minutes. Done the way many been modified to can me putting nuts on just two screws can take several hours of struggling unless you start modifying the car’s chassis (which I will not do).
LMH likes this.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Case View Post
1St things first. Your new track assemblies look fantastic. I could have put two sets to good use in 2016 on a friend’s car.

I will spare you the very long retelling of all that I have learned. In summary my conclusion is that AC Cars:

1) Had the supplier do it or did it themselves, the track fixing screw holes were chamfered for countersink headed set screws.

2) Installed ¼ BSW self finished carbon steel flat head countersink set screws from the cockpit side with a thin self colored (see note 1) hardened steel flat washer, a self colored split spiral lock washer, and a mid World War II specification (see note 2) onward self colored (in this case bare steel) full hex nut machined from bar stock with a single chamfered side (see note 3).

Note 1: Self colored fasteners normally means any finish (bare metal no protection, bare metal with oil or grease protection, oxides from heat treatment and oil, phosphates with or without added dye or oil, or black coatings with or without added dye or oil) that were not electroplated onto the part. AC Cars wise there were hundreds of “self colored” fasteners in a Cobra.

Note 2: In my never ending hunt for original specification fasteners I found new old stock nuts machined from hex bar stock in two different versions of Imperial hexagon sizes. One of the vendors told me that during World War II the British government had their industries reduce the hexagonal bar cross section sizes downward to stretch steel supplies for the war effort. Said another way, you might find nuts on a given thread size that have two significantly different across the flats wrench sizes. If you have two nuts on the bench that require two different British wrench sizes you have one pre-war (larger of the two) and one war time onward (smaller of the two) in front of you. AC Cars used the mid World War II and onward hex sizes.

Note 3: There are many obsolete fasteners in an original Cobra that are extremely hard to find replacements for used or new old stock. One of them is the ¼ BSW single chamfer hex nuts machined from WWII onward Imperial hex bar stock. If you want to make some I can help with the details as I have hunted for a couple of years for some new ones worldwide and not found a single one.

Note 4: On an original car, having the inside rear screw permanently fixed in place makes removing and installing washers and nuts up against the chassis tube behind a gusset a tough job. If the screws are short it can be ultra hard. Done AC Cars way we can install a pair of seats in a few minutes. Done the way many been modified to can me putting nuts on just two screws can take several hours of struggling unless you start modifying the car’s chassis (which I will not do).
Hey Dan,

GREAT information, as always : ) I was hoping you could sprinkle accurate history on how the tracks were placed in the original CSX cars, and describe the actual fasteners that were used.

Thanks, Dan!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armrer View Post
Hey Dan,

GREAT information, as always : ) I was hoping you could sprinkle accurate history on how the tracks were placed in the original CSX cars, and describe the actual fasteners that were used.

Thanks, Dan!

You are most welcome.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

WOW!! Just received mine today and all I can say they are remarkable. In fact, they are so nice I don't want to put them on my car. Really just kidding.

This is fitting, these are replicas, and so is my car.

Jeff, thanks a million.

John O
Buzz and LMH like this.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

I had pretty much the same reaction. Burying these under the seats seems like such an injustice!
Buzz and LMH like this.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Gents,

Glad to hear you’re satisfied with the tracks : D
Always a pleasure to help out other owners with quality kit.

I’m always available with any mounting questions or advice to finish the mission.

Jeff
Buzz likes this.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

Jeff, the runners arrived today and I have to agree with the others - these are incredible pieces of work. Very impressive indeed. When are you going to make new sets of Konis?

Roger
Old 08-24-2018, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
Jeff, the runners arrived today and I have to agree with the others - these are incredible pieces of work. Very impressive indeed. When are you going to make new sets of Konis?

Roger
Thank you, Roger. Glad they made the trip unscathed! Hmmm, thanks for the new product idea. Of course, I’ll have to label them Koneys, so I don’t get my ass sued off : D
Old 08-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Great parts. Thanks so much
Attached Images

LMH likes this.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Great parts. Thanks so much
Hey Jeff,

You’re welcome. Please post pix when you get them installed-

-Jeff
Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anyone interested, I have done another small run of these Seat track/ Knob sets. PM me for info. Thanks-

Jeff
1985 CCX and johno42 like this.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

These units are a work of art....
Let me check my inventory, may be in again...
Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
These units are a work of art....
Let me check my inventory, may be in again...
Thanks, Jeff. We have some more nice bits in the works as well ; )
Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Could you please explain to me the reason for this screw?

Looking on the sliders they are not really of use, or do I oversee something...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: