Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Cobra Talk Areas > Originality Forum

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Planet Cobra
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Planet Cobra
MMG Superformance
November 2018
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By my427cobra
  • 1 Post By Armrer
  • 1 Post By picah

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2018, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 60
Not Ranked     
Default Shelley Jack top saddle

Has anyone successfully removed the top saddle of a Shelley jack? If so how did you do it without destroying anything? I want to replace the L shaped saddle with a correct one which is swaged or crimped on.
Thanks...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2018, 04:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: arroyo grande, ca, ca
Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Posts: 1,334
Not Ranked     
Default

Hi classical glass. When I did mine, if I remember correctly, I used an end mill (5/8") to mill out the swage on the "L" shaped saddle. The screw shaft top is square in shape.

No way that I know of to re-swage the correct "saddle" shaped top back onto the shaft, so I had it welded and weld filled the round hole in the "saddle" and ground it to a smooth finish. Invisible after painting.

Cheers
Greg
1985 CCX likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2018, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 60
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
Hi classical glass. When I did mine, if I remember correctly, I used an end mill (5/8") to mill out the swage on the "L" shaped saddle. The screw shaft top is square in shape.

No way that I know of to re-swage the correct "saddle" shaped top back onto the shaft, so I had it welded and weld filled the round hole in the "saddle" and ground it to a smooth finish. Invisible after painting.

Cheers
Greg
Thanks Greg, That's exactly what I'm going to do.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2018, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2013
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 289 Street
Posts: 158
Not Ranked     
Default

I took a die grinder with a cut off wheel and slotted opposing sides of the saddle. I then flexed the saddle until it broke off cleanly. I cleaned the ‘mushroom’ off the shaft until the new saddle fit. Re-stake or weld to trap the new saddle.
1985 CCX likes this.

Last edited by Armrer; 09-11-2018 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: tech addition
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2013
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 289 Street
Posts: 158
Not Ranked     
Default

check ‘Tool Kit - Redux’ , page 4 in Originality Forum. On pages 7-9 of the thread, there’s a nice pix series of resto process of the Shelley jack-
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 45
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armrer View Post
I took a die grinder with a cut off wheel and slotted opposing sides of the saddle. I then flexed the saddle until it broke off cleanly. I cleaned the ‘mushroom’ off the shaft until the new saddle fit. Re-stake or weld to trap the new saddle.
I did the same general procedure. Worked well. I would think that if you choose to weld, it is important that the curved saddle not be actually welded to the vertical shaft as it appears a bit of saddle free movement is important to allow the saddle to move as it contacts the 4" frame tube to maximize contact area and allow for slight misalignment. Just a thought.
Best
Ron
1985 CCX likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2018, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2013
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 289 Street
Posts: 158
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by picah View Post
I did the same general procedure. Worked well. I would think that if you choose to weld, it is important that the curved saddle not be actually welded to the vertical shaft as it appears a bit of saddle free movement is important to allow the saddle to move as it contacts the 4" frame tube to maximize contact area and allow for slight misalignment. Just a thought.
Best
Ron
Yes, as shown in the above mentioned Tool Kit thread, a dished washer welds to the shaft. That traps the saddle and allows it to rotate freely.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy
Links monetized by VigLink