Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch 289 chassis
Not Ranked     
Default Early CSX Headers

Does anyone have any pics of the headers built for the early CSX cars, primarily the <CSX2076 260 cu in ones?

Thanks,
Chad
Old 12-05-2020, 12:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

There are some in my buold thread. I have a set in the barn, let me go and snap a pic.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Need to be more specific chassis wise to have a clue. You can't go by chassis number alone to guess at engine fitment as CSX2044 for example was originally fitted with a HP289 out of sequence. When any change occurred before late 1963 exact details often depended on which shop (AC, Hugus, Shelby) did the final assembly in what time frame.

Not counting the first few prototypes done one at a time there was at least three versions of "headers" by CSX2076. Pictures of the all steel tube Shelby ones are sometimes posted on The Henry Ford site. Then there were the iron manifolds and pipes supplied by AC but they had a problem. SA created a drawing to illustrate how to modify engine mount pedestals to allow the tubes to get by if required. CSX2061 is believed, based on factory notes, to the first chassis supplied by AC Cars to include iron Y exhaust manifolds, new longer Y down pipes, and piping back to mufflers from AC Cars during chassis shipment. It is believed this was the introduction of the new long down pipes that did not require trimming of engine mount stands on the chassis. If this was the long down pipes introduction then the long Y down pipes were then used for all stock street cars from that point on.

Very early iron Y manifolds had the AC Cars engineering number cast into them. Most were not marked in any way.

CSX2034 and CSX2055 when pulled from decades of storage had the second style system just as reference points.
Dwight likes this.

Last edited by Dan Case; 12-06-2020 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: add detail
Old 12-06-2020, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Side exhaust or under the car with the exits in front of the wheels?
Old 12-06-2020, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
There are some in my buold thread. I have a set in the barn, let me go and snap a pic.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Case View Post
Need to be more specific chassis wise to have a clue. You can't go by chassis number alone to guess at engine fitment as CSX2044 for example was originally fitted with a HP289 out of sequence. When any change occurred before late 1963 exact details often depended on which shop (AC, Hugus, Shelby) did the final assembly in what time frame.

Not counting the first few prototypes done one at a time there was at least three versions of "headers" by CSX2076. Pictures of the all steel tube Shelby ones are sometimes posted on The Henry Ford site. Then there were the iron manifolds and pipes supplied by AC but they had a problem. SA created a drawing to illustrate how to modify engine mount pedestals to allow the tubes to get by if required. CSX2061 is believed, based on factory notes, to the first chassis supplied by AC Cars to include iron Y exhaust manifolds, new longer Y down pipes, and piping back to mufflers from AC Cars during chassis shipment. It is believed this was the introduction of the new long down pipes that did not require trimming of engine mount stands on the chassis. If this was the long down pipes introduction then the long Y down pipes were then used for all stock street cars from that point on.

Very early iron Y manifolds had the AC Cars engineering number cast into them. Most were not marked in any way.

CSX2034 and CSX2055 when pulled from decades of storage had the second style system just a reference points.
I would like to see pics of any of them, but CSX2057 is what I am primarily interested in.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
Side exhaust or under the car with the exits in front of the wheels?
Under car.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

The best pictures that I have of the second standard design header system. CSX2055's engine after rebuild after a long storage. Note that all four iron manifolds have the AC Cars engineering number on them. (The spark plug wires are not originals. They are service replacements. O.E. secondary wires had all straight boots on their spark plug ends. Also note that the small steel adapter that got welded to the right side rear manifold for a hot air supply tube for the automatic choke is missing; most are by now. Depending on the tubular assemblies on hand the upper corners of engine stands sometimes had to be trimmed away for clearance. That was a set by set chassis by chassis issue.)

Blue66, 1985 CCX and A/S65 like this.

Last edited by Dan Case; 12-06-2020 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: add detail
Old 12-06-2020, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

CSX2057 was modified with a 289 engine and under car side pipes in the 80's after a fatal accident. Guessing at that time, it had those Belanger headers installed along with the under car side pipes. That's what it looks like judging by photos online.

Larry
Old 12-06-2020, 11:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     
Default 289 Racing Cobra

Does this help?
Not stock street .....
These are under car, same ones on Goldie
Attached Images

Blue66, AndrewB, LMH and 1 others like this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 12-06-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Old 12-06-2020, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Here is a picture of CSX2055's engine, showing the manifolds featured in Dan's post above....

Name:  CSX2055_eng.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  79.8 KB

Cheers,
Glen
A/S65 likes this.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Does this help?
Not stock street .....
These are under car, same ones on Goldie
Interesting. What type are these? Very different than what is pictured on CSX2055.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
CSX2057 was modified with a 289 engine and under car side pipes in the 80's after a fatal accident. Guessing at that time, it had those Belanger headers installed along with the under car side pipes. That's what it looks like judging by photos online.

Larry
Maybe I missed it, but what do the Belanger headers look like?
Old 12-06-2020, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well Belanger is a company making exhaust pipes. Jeffs Tri-Y's may be Belangers but the ones I was thinking about dumped all four tubes into a single collector, close to the block and pointing straight down. Then it went through an elbow and back. Of course, I can't find a photo now when I want one!
I have the cast iron ones like Dan and Glen posted.

Larry
Old 12-07-2020, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Larry,

You mean like this? I will post a better picture later, when I head out to the garage to box everything up. One of my headers is to the left of the transmission in the picture. I also included any picture from my build that provides some view of the headers pre-wrap. Mine are wrapped, so that does interfere with what you will be able to see.

Jim
xb-60 likes this.

Last edited by 1795; 12-07-2020 at 07:17 AM..
Old 12-07-2020, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Larry,

You ean like this? I will post a better picture later, when I head out to the garage to box everything up. One of my headers is to the left of the transmission in the picture. I also included any picture from my build that provides some view of the headers pre-wrap. Mine are wrapped, so that does interfere with what you will be able to see.

Jim

Yes! Short and close to everything! That's the ones I was thinking of. Are those Belanger brand headers?

Larry
Old 12-07-2020, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry,

They came with my SPF, they appear to be of a similar design to the original race headers.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 12-07-2020 at 06:25 AM..
Old 12-07-2020, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry,

Here are the pictures I took this morning. I included one of the side pipes handing down from the body so that you could see how they are connected to the header.

Cobra Restorers shows a set. Not sure if they are still in business or not.

https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...Z5Z5Z50000027b

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 12-07-2020 at 06:47 AM..
Old 12-07-2020, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Now that we have left what factory stock was for cars around CSX2057, here is a picture of a new old stock headers that SA sold for years for Cobra road racing. This picture was taken by my friend Roger before he sold them. On the used market the only pieces one normally finds are the two headers without the down pipes and the lead side out pipes

The other popular headers from SA were for drag racing.

Many companies have made copies and their own variations of both styles since SA closed. Both designs are really great for cooking brake and clutch hydraulic master cylinders (as in make cylinder wear fast, boil fluid, and often lock up). In period all kinds of ways to protect master cylinders from heat were devised. Both designs make working on anything over them and in front of foot boxes loads of fun.

Note: These were not the only designs SA made and or experimented with. They tested all kinds of designs and even had some covered in magazine articles. Just because the tested other designs does not mean all those other ideas were good or more important at the time profitable.
LMH and 1795 like this.

Last edited by Dan Case; 12-07-2020 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: add detail
Old 12-07-2020, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,

Those look quite similar to mine, with the exception that at the end of the collector I have a flange and the originals have a welded tube that carries further down and then bends out and back. It also looks like there may be extensions for the header bolts, which is nice as there are a couple of tubes that the header bolt heads scrape a little as you are turning them until you get them further seated.

Thanks.

Jim