Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 01:27 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@grybrd123, I'll check with the care takers of the car. Since Pat passed away 10years ago, the collection is now called "The Hart Foundation" with Bill (Son) as pres. Pat or Patrick Hart was a truly a "Gem of a Guy". I Brought a restored 72BMW 2002TII (He owned a Tenn. BMW dealership, just for fun, as he said just to relax from the daily grind of land development ), with that BMW came a 71 Ferrari Daytona, since the BMW wasn't ready to del. yet, he told to take the Daytona till it was I said :But, but, he said its only a car Tom and since we race together "I trust you" That was a day and a half, to remember, the sound of the V-12 @6500 was music, after my wife had "Cooled Down" and realized I hadn't loss my mind, and no, we were not buying a Ferrari, by then there was no more talk of a divorce, and she enjoyed the drive too They don't make men like that anymore, I'm sure he racing in Heaven, Cheers Pat. Tom.
BigGuy, HealeyRick and xb-60 like this.

Last edited by Alfa02; 05-04-2021 at 01:32 AM..
Old 05-04-2021, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

What a wonderful story! Don't we all wish for a Ferrari loaner car.
BigGuy and Alfa02 like this.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     

I've posted some more photos of progress on my Aceca rebuild in my Gallery. Enjoy!
Old 06-09-2021, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Good progress! I'm interested to see what you'll be doing with the dash panel and the tunnel.
Keep the updates coming. We all like a new and interesting/unusual build

Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-11-2021, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dash plans

The dash panel will look more or less stock, although we're adding an oil temp gauge, a map light for the passenger, and a clock in addition to the large speedo and tach (Series 2 Jaguar E Type), turn signal LED lights, oil pressure, coolant temp, volt meter, fuel level, and a rheostat to adjust panel instrument brightness. The three gauges to the right of the binnacle will be in angle mounts (like Alfas) so they point more at the driver to eliminate parallax problems reading them. On the far left hand side, below the dash and not visible, there will be a hazard flasher and switch for it. In addition, there will be a console between the middle of the dash and the trans tunnel, and that will have all the heating and cooling controls (A/C on-off, fan speed, defrost or heat, etc plus a period-appearing radio. I have been planning to book veneer the fascia of the panel using walnut burl, but may decide to cover it all in leather to match the seats and door cards. The dash has to be “right” because it’s so visible and I’m going to be spending a lot of time looking at it!
Old 06-12-2021, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

grybrd, will the clock be positioned at the lower right of the glovebox?
And are you keeping the ammeter in its central position under the three gauges, and if so, where will the oil temp gauge go?
Good choice with the E-Type speedo and tacho
Yours is a great build....much looking forward to the progress reports.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 06-13-2021, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've posted photos of the dash arrangement in my Gallery. The binnacle will have speedo, tachometer, oil pressure and coolant temp, plus the two LED turn signal indicator lights on either side of the upper small gauge. Center panel will have fuel, volts, and oil temp. The clock, which is slightly larger than the smaller gauges, will be above the center gauge and not in the panel. On the right is map light and switch, on the left is panel light rheostat. In the center below the dash will be the heater and A/C controls. The black control panel with levers and pull knobs is from an MG.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

grybrd, thanks for posting the dash information and pictures. I look forward to seeing it happen.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 07-22-2021, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I need information (dimensions etc) for the original Cobra rear shock absorbers. I have a pair of original fronts, but they are different from the rears. Can anyone provide that information or point me to a reliable source for it? How about substitutes that match?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2021, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybrd123 View Post
I need information (dimensions etc) for the original Cobra rear shock absorbers. I have a pair of original fronts, but they are different from the rears. Can anyone provide that information or point me to a reliable source for it? How about substitutes that match?

Thanks!

CSX2126 onward chassis.

Strokes, mount to mount nominals collapsed and expanded for O.E. Armstrong® units.

Position Collapsed Extended

Front 10.250” 12.375”

Rear 11.750” 15.500”
LMH and MAStuart like this.

Last edited by Dan Case; 07-23-2021 at 07:56 AM..
Old 08-12-2021, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just posted some more pix in my gallery. I think they are mostly self-explanatory, but I'll be happy to answer any questions. The motor is done, it's shown on the dyno. It makes 382 hp and 352 torque. It turns out that in the photo of the two front A-arms, the larger/longer one is from a leaf spring Cobra before CSX 2127, probably the same one the rear end, suspension, and brakes came from.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I posted some more photos of my Aceca "rebuild", primarily the rear end and suspension. I should have many more in a couple of weeks when its on its wheels and suspension and steering are done. Radiator mounts, trans tunnel and other stuff are in progress. Fortunately, I have a friend who is a superb (and very enthusiastic) wood worker. He has made all new quarter window surrounds, door tops, door frames, and dash blank out of black walnut. He built a steam box and bending molds to shape evrything. Gonna be nice!
Old 12-06-2021, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
....Gonna be nice!
Sure is!
Isn't it great to not only be building something, but actually making parts of the car! It's a real "buy-in" on the build process.
Looking forward to seeing more of the progress.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 01-16-2022, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi guys:

I've posted a few more photos of progress on my Aceca. Specifically, the foot boxes, steering column and rack and pinion installation.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am sure you know this, but others may not. While rereading the Brooklands publication, Cobras And Replicas 1962-1983, with the different magazine articles from that time frame. The first article, Road & Track September 1962, which should be the second, since May is before September! In the one paragraph that talks about CSX2000, being almost identical to the latest Ace cars, the last line reads, "Shelby is considering making up a few Cobras with ACs Acceca (coupe) body and these would have a top speed even higher than the roadster's" I always wondered what an Acceca would have looked like, if AC had put on the front from the Ford 2.6 powered Ace and Cobra, and the wheel flares from the Cobra?
Old 01-17-2022, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cobra-ized Aceca?

Thanks for your message. There is (was) an Aceca with the front end mod you reference, but no flares. Here's the link to see AEX 525:

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...a-competition/

My car will probably have the flares of a slabside but definitely will not have the 2.6 front end. I like the old "barchetta" opening, especially with the hopped up Ford 302.

Cheers
David
Old 01-17-2022, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for your message. There is (was) an Aceca with the front end mod you reference, but no flares. Here's the link to see AEX 525:

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...a-competition/

My car will probably have the flares of a slabside but definitely will not have the 2.6 front end. I like the old "barchetta" opening, especially with the hopped up Ford 302.

Cheers
David
Thanks! Not as good looking as I pictured it in my brain! I hated the Ferrari look back in the 60s and 70s, but after rereading about the mighty 2.0 Aces winning the SCCA championship 5 years in a row, after being bumped up in class twice, well I'm in love. Yes, I have looked at the Hawk Tojeiro mustache cars! A small block Ford in one of those would be fun, and I would be the only one at most gatherings. I will keep fallowing your progress, may luck stay on your side.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to all those who've been interested in my Aceca restomod. I've posted another bunch of photos showing the motor, gear box, suspension and brakes etc. It's slowly turning into a car. Comments, questions, suggestions welcome!
Old 02-21-2022, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David,

Truly excellent progress! Do you have an estimated finish date?

Cheers!
Glen
Old 02-21-2022, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your encouragement! I was hoping to finish by July, but I think at least another six months and possibly a year. I'm advised by the painter that it will take two months at least to prep the alloy body and paint (and he meant two months full time!). Every time I look at it I see the progress but at the same time I see how much is left to do.

I should make sure it's understood that I am NOT doing the vast majority of the work, a great restoration shop is doing it. I just have the vision of what I want it to be, make the plans about what to do (with lots of advice), find and buy the parts (many obsolete) and you know the rest ...
xb-60, Alfa02 and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: