Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2022, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     

Hi guys:

I just put up two photos of the frame (finally) ready for permanent assembly. It has been powder coated and wax oiled to prevent internal rust. Doesn't look like much, does it?

Enjoy!
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

David, big milestone ticking the chassis off the list. Progress from here should be faster and more satisfying

Cheers!
Glen
Old 05-09-2022, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Funny, if you didn't know what car this was for, I don't think you would ever guise! Alan Turner and those other AC boys were pretty smart! Cheers, Dennis
Old 05-13-2022, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just posted a few more pix from yesterday. The interesting thing to look at is the adjustable eccentric pivot for the upper front leaf spring eye at the top of the upright. The stock arrangement does not allow adjustment for camber - the leaf spring length determines that. We wanted to be able to adjust the front end camber, so the shop designed and built eccentrics to fit in the eye. Now we can get the steering just right.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David, no doubt after shelling out lots of cash, good for you to see some real progress as "stuff" is assembled to the refurbished chassis.
The car is now more than just a pile of bits; it's starting to take shape. Satisfying, yes?

Cheers!
Glen
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, it is. It seems as though much of the (re)construction will go pretty quickly in the next month or so, but once the body is back on there will be a lot of work to do getting it ready to paint, and after that of course will be the interior. I hope it will be done by 2023, but no one is making promises. This has been a real adventure because of all the modifications and repairs that were unforeseen at the start. For instance, the entire rear frame and fuel tank had to be redesigned and rebuilt because the Cobra rear end and suspension are significantly different from the stock Aceca.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Probing ahead here - what colour are you planning on painting the car?
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just posted photos of the colors I want to use and the pattern for them. Opinions and comments gratefully accepted ...
Old 05-15-2022, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David your picture from the rear. Is that the correct way that the half shafts are to be installed? Also your rear shocks. Do they have a part number? How long did it take to get them? Could you give a ruff idea on there cost?

Thanks Mark
Old 05-15-2022, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mark:
Thanks for your message. First of all, I will have to speak with the lead constructor of my Aceca to see why he installed the yoke one way and not the other. Appears to me that either way works, although I suspect unsprung weight is less if the outside splined shafts are nearer the hub. Stay tuned until later this week.

The dampers are double adjustable QA1s, part numbers TD504 (rear) and TD505 (front). They are also available single adjustable prefix TS instead of TD. They should be mounted upside down. They came from Summit and the price was $479.98/pair last summer. I don't know availability now. I bought those particular ones because they were recommended by Mike McCluskey.

Cheers
David
MAStuart likes this.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybrd123 View Post
Just posted photos of the colors I want to use and the pattern for them. Opinions and comments gratefully accepted ...
I'm not a 'stripe' person .....but I can visualise that the cream body with blue stripe would suit the Aceca quite nicely.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-15-2022, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's a tough choice, all three are really nice! The light blue and white is nice, but the race car with the dark and light is a great combo. The copper would look good on a DB5, so very stately on your car! Glad I don't have to choose! Cheers, Dennis

Last edited by Harpoon PV2; 05-15-2022 at 10:29 PM..
Old 05-26-2022, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I put up more photos that I took yesterday. Lots of things progressing pretty fast: motor and gearbox are in, exhaust fitted, suspension and brakes almost finished, radiator, footboxes, rear panel of cabin and more. Going to slow down considerable when the shell is put on. Body and paint prep will take a lot of time.
rustyrims and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David,
Excellent progress.
The silver finish on the headers....is that ceramic coating?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-27-2022, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ceramic finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
David,
Excellent progress.
The silver finish on the headers....is that ceramic coating?

Cheers,
Glen
Yes it is. I am unsure which company did it, but will find out. Looks very nice, much shinier than I thought it would be.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybrd123 View Post
Yes it is. I am unsure which company did it, but will find out. Looks very nice, much shinier than I thought it would be.
David, they do look good. I have had mine 'silver' ceramic coated inside and out, and they look similar to yours.
I'm told it makes a significant difference to the engine's efficiency - decreased back pressure by keeping the temperature up, as well as helping the cat. (mandatory here) work more efficiently.

Great build, by the way; not just another Cobra

Cheers!
Glen
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi guys:

Today's visit to the shop was exciting, lots of progress. It won't be too long (couple of months, probably) before the body is reinstalled. Changes are mostly self evident, but note that the wooden bits have been cleaned up and impregnated with preservative and most of them look like new now, especially the roof supports. The fuel tank has returned from the powder coaters and will be installed shortly, and the transmission tunnel is done. The car at the end is a new arrival at the shop and was just too beautiful not to photograph and post!
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looking good! I sure wish Carroll would not have teased about an Aceca Cobra! Any history on the Ferrari? Maybe one of the privateers from 64-65? Cheers, Dennis
Old 06-11-2022, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dennis:

I was told that it came from Fantasy Junction recently. If so, you can check it out on line, because FJ keeps sold cars info available.

Can you tell me exactly where it was published that Shelby talked about an Aceca Cobra?

Cheers!
Old 06-11-2022, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Road & Track, September 1962. "Selby is considering making up a few Cobras with AC's Aceca (coupe) body and these would have a top speed even higher than the roadster's." Cheers, Dennis
HealeyRick likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: