Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2023, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Original Car aluminum panel finish

From what Ive seen the original cars have varying finishes for the aluminum panels through the inside of the cab, trunk, and engine bay of the car. Some look brushed and dull and some are shiny semi polished looking, any rhyme or reason to it or is it just whatever roll they had that week?

Also, what is the “acceptable” panel finish for restored original panels? I can only imagine with being 60 years old, maintaining, and any mileage the panels will be marked up, oxidized and dull. Making them hard to get a “factory new” finish on them.

Last edited by Mj_72; 08-29-2023 at 07:14 AM..
Old 08-29-2023, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't remember any raw finished original Cobra's. New ones yes.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 08-29-2023, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi, Im talking about the interior aluminum panels, not the body.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I adjusted my questions to reflect better.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would say the factory didn’t spend time polishing, brushing or treating exposed panels. The firewall, inner fender/engine panels and radiator area would be mill finish aluminum. In other words, (and for a concours car) no time or material is used to add finish to the panels. They should be clean and free of oil and stains but not brushed or polished.
Larry
Blue66, 1985 CCX and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

You might want to take a trip to the Shelby American Collection (their big annual party is this coming Saturday). There are plenty, and I mean the world's largest collection in a single place, of original Cobras and GT40s present. Bring a camera and take notes.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:29 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj_72 View Post
From what Ive seen the original cars have varying finishes for the aluminum panels through the inside of the cab, trunk, and engine bay of the car. Some look brushed and dull and some are shiny semi polished looking, any rhyme or reason to it or is it just whatever roll they had that week?

Also, what is the “acceptable” panel finish for restored original panels? I can only imagine with being 60 years old, maintaining, and any mileage the panels will be marked up, oxidized and dull. Making them hard to get a “factory new” finish on them.

So, what are you building?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-29-2023, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
So, what are you building?

Bill S.
See his other posts. He's not an owner but the friend of one who may or may not be restoring a car (and shouldn't be if he is since it doesn't need it). I think Mj_72 has bigger plans than the owner for the car that isn't his. He's supposed to be stating so because as I have mentioned he's asking really amateurish questions for someone that would be doing an historic restoration. Any of the real restorers would be having this discussion off line among themselves (if they truly would be asking such questions at all - it's stuff they ought to know or they wouldn't be touching my car).

Anyway, hopefully "no real Cobras will be injured as a result of anything done on this forum".
eschaider and Alfa02 like this.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:41 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
See his other posts. He's not an owner but the friend of one who may or may not be restoring a car (and shouldn't be if he is since it doesn't need it). I think Mj_72 has bigger plans than the owner for the car that isn't his. He's supposed to be stating so because as I have mentioned he's asking really amateurish questions for someone that would be doing an historic restoration. Any of the real restorers would be having this discussion off line among themselves (if they truly would be asking such questions at all - it's stuff they ought to know or they wouldn't be touching my car).

Anyway, hopefully "no real Cobras will be injured as a result of anything done on this forum".
I have, even responded to a few, which is why I'm asking, as not everything is correct across the board. Lots of running changes to CSX2000 and CSX3000 series cars. OP needs to be far more specific as to what he is building so as to properly respond. Or costly, irreversible mistakes could occur.

Bill S.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have, even responded to a few, which is why I'm asking, as not everything is correct across the board. Lots of running changes to CSX2000 and CSX3000 series cars. OP needs to be far more specific as to what he is building so as to properly respond. Or costly, irreversible mistakes could occur.

Bill S.
There's nothing wrong with curiosity, but if it was my car I'd be locking the tools up.

My observation of the cars I've seen is that there is little rhyme or reason to lots of those details. It all depended on who in England was doing the work that day. Maybe if you saw each and every car in order it might be clearer.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 08-29-2023 at 05:46 PM..
Old 08-29-2023, 05:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
There's nothing wrong with curiosity, but if it was my car I'd be locking the tools up.

My observation of the cars I've seen is that there is little rhyme or reason to lots of those details. It all depended on who in England was doing the work that day. Maybe if you saw each and every car in order it might be clearer.
Several hundred ++ over the years

Bill S.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Double post

Last edited by Mj_72; 08-31-2023 at 04:59 AM..
Old 08-30-2023, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input guys. Ive never been on a thread where people cared so much about what someone else does or doesn't do with their cars. With the most respect to everyone we appreciate the concern but as Im sure you know people are going to do what they want. When a person can buy 20 original cars they dont see the value in them like someone who grew up with them or maybe owned one at some point in their life. Its just a toy in a toy box to some. Im not going to discuss the owner and I personal relationship and what business I have asking questions with just anyone. Making statements like “he has bigger plans than the owner is a snide comment and not necessary. We are all adults and professionals here I would hope. I enjoy the research and learning and he enjoys it as well and its been fun. Im will continue to ask questions and if you have constructive input I thank you.

That said , so when people restore cars im guessing they are just cutting all new aluminum panels and using them, as it would seem impossible to reproduce the factory finish on panels with scrtches, dents road rash etc..

Last edited by Mj_72; 08-30-2023 at 07:01 AM..
Old 08-30-2023, 07:03 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. Ive never been on a thread where people cared so much about what someone else does or doesn't do with their cars. With the most respect to everyone we appreciate the concern but as Im sure you know people are going to do what they want. When a person can buy 20 original cars they dont see the value in them like someone who grew up with them or maybe owned one at some point in their life. Its just a toy in a toy box to some. Im not going to discuss the owner and I personal relationship and what business I have asking questions with just anyone. Making statements like “he has bigger plans than the owner is a snide comment and not necessary. We are all adults and professionals here I would hope. I enjoy the research and learning and he enjoys it as well and its been fun. Im will continue to ask questions and if you have constructive input hen thank you.

That said , so when people restore cars im guessing they are just cutting all new aluminum panels and using them, as it would seem impossible to reproduce the factory finish.
Cobras, real or replica, are a passion some people, apparently like yourself, just cannot grasp. Owning 1, or 20, or having the funds to do both does not matter here, enthusiasm does. Again, some people just cannot grasp that concept. As for the car itself, we do not care about the owner, we care more about the car, and if it is truly an original 60's built CSX series car, what is done during it's rebuild/restoration. It's the owners car, he can do with it what he wants, but given the low production from 1962-1967, you would think he would want to get it right the first time. Of course we have seen those with more money than brains, do horrible things to such cars in the past, why, because they could. Are you, or your "friend" one of those? From the attitude of your last post, it does so appear to be. So much for burning bridges in a short time, while some of us were only trying to get enough information to properly assist you.

Bill S.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Cobras, real or replica, are a passion some people, apparently like yourself, just cannot grasp. Owning 1, or 20, or having the funds to do both does not matter here, enthusiasm does. Again, some people just cannot grasp that concept. As for the car itself, we do not care about the owner, we care more about the car, and if it is truly an original 60's built CSX series car, what is done during it's rebuild/restoration. It's the owners car, he can do with it what he wants, but given the low production from 1962-1967, you would think he would want to get it right the first time. Of course we have seen those with more money than brains, do horrible things to such cars in the past, why, because they could. Are you, or your "friend" one of those? From the attitude of your last post, it does so appear to be. So much for burning bridges in a short time, while some of us were only trying to get enough information to properly assist you.

Bill S.
Bill, you said alot there. Burning bridges for responding to non constructive criticism isnt how I would perceive that but your entitled to your opinion.
My response was directly to the point that answering every post with “ you are asking questions that you shouldnt ask and should not be involved in”. Saying that initially is understandable but every question that is asked needs to have that rehashed? That was a blanket statement i made about wealthy owners doing what they want regardless of what other say on every single post. “dont do this or only this person should do this”. Im asking very detailed questions about things “ nobody but the main handful of shops should be discussing amongst themselves” and Im not passionate or enthusiastic?

I respect your input and you have been helpful, others want to continue to make blanket statements about my involvement, the intentions , are just bullying and not helpful to anyone. I get it intitial but there should be a point where the concerns are noted and move on to either offer answers to questions or just keep scrolling.

Again thank you for the help and I hope we can continue to communicate.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:09 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bill, you said alot there. Burning bridges for responding to non constructive criticism isnt how I would perceive that but your entitled to your opinion.
My response was directly to the point that answering every post with “ you are asking questions that you shouldnt ask and should not be involved in”. Saying that initially is understandable but every question that is asked needs to have that rehashed? That was a blanket statement i made about wealthy owners doing what they want regardless of what other say on every single post. “dont do this or only this person should do this”. Im asking very detailed questions about things “ nobody but the main handful of shops should be discussing amongst themselves” and Im not passionate or enthusiastic?

I respect your input and you have been helpful, others want to continue to make blanket statements about my involvement, the intentions , are just bullying and not helpful to anyone. I get it intitial but there should be a point where the concerns are noted and move on to either offer answers to questions or just keep scrolling.

Again thank you for the help and I hope we can continue to communicate.
Matthew,

When you come to a site, as fresh new user, you need to realize that those of us who have been around here, might have a bit more of a knowledge base. Some of us have gotten are hands dirty on originals, or just been obsessed by them, same goes for the replicas, again, it does not matter as it is the common enthusiasm for the car that binds us together. We cannot agree on everything 100%, nor do we expect others to. Again, your car, or your friends car, your choices. Here, a little less attitude will get you much more cooperation than otherwise. Flair ups happen, noses get bent out of joint (especially if you have a beige colored Cobra ), does it happen, you bet, but again, in the long run, we are all just car guys/gals.

Bill S.
eschaider likes this.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:19 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@Mj_72 , it's ok for you to ask questions, but when we ask a question (Maybe even a better idea, if we knew about this CSX in question) for more info. we get this kind of response. I have a better question, why are you here, in a forum that deals with reproductions, rather than a site like SAAC, or have contact with other "restorers" that deal with these original cars or are we your last hope for info.?? Do you now see why we ask these simple questions about you & the car. We could care less, who owns the car.
eschaider and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:37 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
@Mj_72 , it's ok for you to ask questions, but when we ask a question (Maybe even a better idea, if we knew about this CSX in question) for more info. we get this kind of response. I have a better question, why are you here, in a forum that deals with reproductions, rather than a site like SAAC, or have contact with other "restorers" that deal with these original cars or are we your last hope for info.?? Do you now see why we ask these simple questions about you & the car. We could care less, who owns the car.
There are more active "original 60's built cobra owners" active here then on the SAACforum. Plenty of crossover on both.......

The key word here is "active"

Just saying

Bill S.
Blue66, Alfa02 and Mj_72 like this.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If/when you go to events where there are original Cobras, take what you see with a grain of salt in terms what’s “original”. The cars are old now, have been altered by multiple owners and garage mechanics and what you see now is probably not going to be what was original back in the day. Just keep that in mind when checking out original cars now.
Larry
Buzz and Mj_72 like this.
Old 08-30-2023, 03:42 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Oh Bill, I think you deserve, a phone call over the tongue sticking out business It could be a long one too, you know how much you hate that Cheers Buddy.
xb-60 likes this.