Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By nkb
  • 1 Post By CSX2345

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2024, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     
Default Don’t Lean On The Car

Alloy CSX roller finally on land after 74 days journey. The roller has now completed more than a circumnavigation of the earth.

At Hillbank in California for final touches before sending on to me.

The unpainted alloy 289 sticks out among the shiny GT40’s and Cobras.
[url='http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/CSX_8057_at_Irvine_1_Medium.jpeg']
Buzz, Ron61, 1ntCobra and 4 others like this.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2102, Keith Craft 427W
Not Ranked     

Great to hear it made it back safe.

Looks like Hillbank provided security watching over the car.

Hopefully a big part of the stress is over. Now you can focus on the fun
stuff, like fitting up all the authentic parts you've collected.

Cheers
nkb likes this.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

A couple of more pictures from the Hillbank showroom.

I had a lot of back and forth with the factory in South Africa regarding non-original items that they standardly install in the CSX 8000's (and SPF Mk II). In particular the dashboard was a big bone of contention. I can't tell for sure but it looks like they installed a special (one off?) dash that looks close to the original. Including the early Lucas ignition, directional lights (which I had already purchased here). Left a hole for my original dash clock. Also, I will be replacing the fuel gauge, voltmeter for the original Lucas ammeter, and tach (for an original Rotunda).

I see in the pictures the pilot hole, as requested, for the original Ceandess gas cap. No install of rear view mirror or grab handle, as requested.

They also modified the standard transmission mount on the frame to be original for a T10. The Kirkham frame is set up for a modern transmission.

Also, they modified the orientation of the lower outlet on the radiator to allow for the original cast fan switch housing to be used.

The rear bumper is non-standard in that they used the shorter Australian market versions that they have. Standardly they install a wider 427 version that sticks out way too far.

I also had them not screw anything to the firewall and footboxes to allow me to modify things later to adhere to originality (at least looking correct - I don't intend to redo the modern wiring just disguise it).

I asked them to not install the heater hoses as they are normally routed in a non-original fashion along the passenger side instead of centrally through the firewall.

All of the above had me send them information, measurements, and pictures of what needed to be done (or not done). To their credit, Hi Tech engineering was responsive to my requirements. With the exception of an entirely different dash most of my requests did not necessarily require a lot of extra effort as a departure from their normal fabrication process. However, it should be noted that adapting the normal CSX (fiberglass) 8000 to the Kirkham platform was not straightforward and resulted in a protracted schedule.

I have been told that based upon my interactions with the factory they are now considering offering a "tool room" copy Cobra., as they now do with the GT40, a standard version and a highly accurate "tool room" version (at a much higher price point). As such, it is reported that they have borrowed an original car to work with and learn from. Of course, there are large variations amongst original cars so the "tool room" version will depend on which car they intend to clone - and verify that it has maintained its originality - as many cars have been altered over the years. I don't know if they are considering a 289 or 427 version (or both).

There was an earlier statement by Lance Stander that they were preparing a a highly accurate CSX 2000 clone for the most recent Goodwood Revival (and 100th Shelby birthday). But, no such car appeared. Maybe still in the works and related to the "toolroom copy" rumor?