Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     
Default Recreating Rebat R35 Executive

My Rebat R35's died and I needed a quick replacement, but International Motorsports doesn't seem to be up and running. So I followed the threads on CC (great to see it on line again!!) and tracked down the 21st Century successor of Rebat, Gill Batteries. Concorde CB-35's used to be the closest thing, but they've now gone to a smooth white case with a molded red top, with molded-in grab handles, which don't replicate the grab rope on a Rebat.

I'm informed Rebat was originally made by Prestolite, which was later sold to Exide, which was later sold to Gill and Teledyne then bought them. So the Gill G-35 is still made but it is a Pink battery with black caps. You can see the G-35 at
http://gillbatteries.com/selectModelVIS.cfm

They are $154.95 including 3 quarts of electrolyte. The place I bought mine from, Desser Tire and Rubber in Montebello, CA ships for free using a credit card. I walked in and picked them up.

I included a picture of the Pink Gill just after I finished charging it.

Bought some semi-flat krylon paint after having cleaned the battery case with lacquer thinner and scuffed it up with a scotchbrite, changed it from pink to black. Changed out the black caps for the correct Rebat "Tiltite" caps, new O-rings from the Gill on each cap and slapped on the old Rebat Labels from the dead soldiers. Just like a glove in the original CSX battery tray and she starts every time!! Mystery solved. And the nice thing about the Gill G-35 is that they give you the correct cast wing nuts and washers and lock washers for the battery posts. A nice touch.

I really would have liked to have the Rebat cases again, but these are so close, they'll do for the next several years. On the road again......
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

I was under the impression the originals had a black top and caps with a white lower case.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great info! Thanks for sharing it. Now I know where I'll be buying my batteries.
Larry
Old 09-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

ST,
They came both ways, depending on when exactly you bought them. There's a whole other thread or two about the colors of the battery sides and tops. There's photos of a couple of Daytona Coupes with the batteries like you describe, and there's some with the black Rebats like I've made up. I think Sal Menella knows a little more about this, but this is the way I've seen the photos of the Comp cars. I suppose it's a matter of choice, and I'm just used to seeing it this way.