Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Narrow Hip Cobras

I posted this on the main forum, but thought I should try here as well.

Does anyone have any pictures or links to pictures of any of the Narrow Hip Cobras (CSX3125 to CSX3157 or the COB / COX cars)?

I have seen the photos of COX6111 in the gallery, but would appreciate any others you might have or could point me toward. Shots of the rear fenders would be especially helpful.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 10-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Kevin,

I'm not sure how to post the photos I have here but if you email me I'll attach them to a return email.

Lowell
Old 10-04-2007, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lowell,

Thanks, e-mail sent.

Kevin
Old 10-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Kevin,

I never got it. Try Wills2athughes.net.

Lowell
Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some of the replicas were splashed from the narrow-hipped Cobras - The ERA street body, B&B, and I think Hurricane, to name a few.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lowell,

E-mail sent again, hopefully with better results.

496fe,

There were several different rear fender shapes. The two best known were the early comp cars and the later street cars. ERA Has both and Hurricane has the street fenders. There were also a small number of cars intended for use with street tires that have an even narrower rear fender that was proportioned for normal street tires. That body shape was resurrected for the AC289 cars. That's the one I want to replicate, and unfortunately (but not unsurprisingly) No one I know makes it.

I will have to cut the sides of the rear fenders off an ERA 427 and build up new ones from foam, then pull a set of molds and lay up new fender pieces to glass back onto the body.

That's why I need all the pictures I can get, to help make sure I get the shape right. The thought of cutting up a perfectly good ERA body makes me a little nervous!

Kevin
Old 10-06-2007, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default fenders

As I'm led to believe, you might want to look at an AK as these were AC289 "continuations" Check gallery, If I need more pics for you, i'd be glad to help. IT may be that you just shave the lip extensins off...my ex CSX car was like that.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The green car in this gallery has the fender shape I want. They flattened the side of the fender about 2", as well as having no lip.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...&condition=and

I have several pictures of other narrow hip cars showing the rear fenders from the front and rear, but none from the side. I want to make sure COX6111 is typical, as I have seen some variance.

Kevin
Old 10-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

That green car is Sweeeeet!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

JB,

Yes, the AC289's don't have the over-the-top testosterone of a 427 S/C, but they do have a really beautiful classic sports car shape.

It should make a better driver with the smaller tires, engine, and under car exhaust also. It was no less an authority than Ken Miles who said in his opinion, the best car would have been the 427 chassis with the 289 engine in it.

Kevin
Old 10-06-2007, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Some of the replicas were splashed from the narrow-hipped Cobras - The ERA street body, B&B, and I think Hurricane, to name a few.

Mmm, don't think so. ERA uses both the street and comp rear fenders, but both of those are still quite a bit wider than the narrow hip version. Hurricanes are definitely wide hip and I have no idea where B&B got their shape but I'm pretty sure it wasn't from an original anything.

Ron (Computerworks) should have some good narrow hip pics. I used to have a couple links too but can't fnd them now. The car that Tony Hogg owned and was featured in his R&T article was one.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

There are some pictures of CSX 3134 in my gallery, currently pages 4 & 5 (which will change soon). I have many more pictures of this car and several other originals taken this summer, getting around to finding time to process and upload them has been a chore.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)

Last edited by Yetiman; 10-06-2007 at 04:32 PM..
Old 10-06-2007, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

A couple more...

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 10-06-2007, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Maricopa,

I have a copy of Tony's old R&T article , the picture quality is lousy unfortunately.

Yetiman,

You have some great shots in your gallery, thank you. Lowell sent me a couple of good shots of CSX 3134 as well. If you have any shots of the rear fender straight on from the side, and get time to upload them at some future point, please drop me an e-mail and let me know.

Thanks again,

Kevin
Old 10-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

COX6111