Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default First SC (CSX 3021) to be auctioned

One of our Ft. Myers residents (Bill Turner) will be auctioning CSX 3021 in January. This is the first SC and one of the two Hertz gold cars. One owner and very low mileage. The actual story behind this is when Bill was driving the car home he tagged the Whiskey Creek bridge and modified the front fender a bit. Got the car home, pulled the engine, and the car sat for years. He finally took it to Chuck Gutke at Cobra Restorers and got the sheet metal repaired, brought the car back home and it sat for another 20 years. More info is here. Grab your wallets. He has a 289 too.

http://www.carcollector.com/index.ph...csx-3021-.html

Last edited by RedEsprit; 12-13-2008 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-13-2008, 05:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

CSX3021 is a great car...no, strike that... a great, great car.
...with a fully-known and clear history.

It was not really the "first S/C" though.

It is the earliest S/C by serial number, but those cars did not go out the door in numerical order.

The first S/C shipped was CSX3030, sold about 9 months prior to CSX3021, according to the SAAC Registry.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So the issue would be...first shipped (sold / titled)...or first built by AC? Which is really the first? I'll bet it is auctioned as the "first" as in the Collector Car article due to the VIN. Just north of my current checking account balance, however. Damn recessions. The car is anticipated to bring over $2,000,000 as I understand it. I'm still short by seven figures.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEsprit View Post
So the issue would be...first shipped (sold / titled)...or first built by AC? Which is really the first? I'll bet it is auctioned as the "first" as in the Collector Car article due to the VIN.
No issue, really.
I am sure that, regardless of the facts, the agent will tout it with hyperbole.

It is the earliest S/C s/n. I would peg the real "first" as the first one sold, out the door at SAI. All the S/Cs were leftovers from 1965 anyhow.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEsprit View Post
Damn recessions. The car is anticipated to bring over $2,000,000 as I understand it. I'm still short by seven figures.
Disguise yourself as an ailing financial institution and I'm confident our stupid and inept Congress will lend you some of that $700B just for asking...

-Dean
Old 12-13-2008, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Who needs Congress? Little Bennie Bernanke is going to issue his own money now at the Fed. Surely, an SC with less than 4,000 miles would be a better collateral than CMOs (Collateralized Mortgage Obligations) or any other toxic crap the banks have hidden in Level 3 assets. Now is the time to start a bank. Lets start First Collectors National. Asset-based lending only. Only lend against collectible vehicles. Can we get it done by January 2nd so we can buy Turner's SC? Maybe we can just become some "pork" added to the coming Big Three Bailout.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Gold S/C

I know where the other Gold One is
And, it's all original(more than any other S/C i have ever seen)with it's original paint.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

You are no doubt talking about its "recently uncovered" original paint, right?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

HA! HA! Got'cha'?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 12-13-2008, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I waiting to see what that grand sport will bring.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
You are no doubt talking about its "recently uncovered" original paint, right?
It has truly been a carcheological experience working on 3047. It is hard to believe the car has never been hit. I am not sure how many others can make that claim. Little minor dents and dings from being parked and leaned on, yes but no incidents with other cars or those tree's that usually jump out in front of COBRA's.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

I remember seeing the other gold SC at Gette Ford (Milbrook, NY) in 1973 or 4. At one time, it belonged to a strange, semi-hippy couple that I had by a total coincidence, met when I lived in Rhode Island in 1971. It was sporting the LeMans engine kit (aluminum medium riser heads, water pump, and vibration damper), and according to Carter Gette, was the quickest 427 Cobra he had ever driven.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Mark, that's the same car (3047) that Gette owned that has recently had a repaint removed to expose its original gold paint. This thread got me thinking - what if fate had directed 3021 rather than 3121 into your life many years ago - I wonder how that would have played out.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill's car was repaired after the fender damage & was painted dark red in 1976
when I first met Bill,& I took several pictures of it at that time. The car was in perfect condition but the engine was out, wth head gasket problem.
He decided to do a full restoration in the original color much later on when the prices went up.The mileage is genuine & it must be one of the lowest mileage cars in the world.
Rgds Steve
Old 12-14-2008, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Ned:

I imagine that if I had acquired 3021 instead of 3121 in 1969, the result would have been the same: I would have sold it on impulse before these things became so bloody valuable.

You may recall that we had a shot at 3002 when Carter owned the car. He offered it to us for $15k about a year before we sold 3121, but we had just bought the Ferrari 330 GTC and our modest line of credit was depleted.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

We agree.

Sam Feinstein offered me 3009 (Ollie) for 10K USD back in perhaps 71 or so and i just couldn't see it. It had been rode hard and put away wet. Who says i'm smart? Not me.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 12-14-2008, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Remember seeing a gold SC in Lynbrook, NY in the early seventies. Was usually parked at a Speed shop on Merrick Rd.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Small world. I believe that the Speed Shop on Merrick Road was "High Speed Power Equipment" and belonged to Frank Dominiani, who did some SCCA racing with a late 50s 'Vette. It was actually in Valley Stream, not Lynbrook. I lived in the area durng my high school days, but was long gone by the time the Cobras emerged.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Correct. It was in Valley Stream. I used to teach at Elmont HS, and passed it every day.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3881 427 FE w/2x4bbls and 4 spd toploader
Not Ranked     

I remember when Carter had #3047. Carter was my room mate in school and a good friend until his passing. I bought the Blue 427 Carter had (CSX#????) when he was working at Westfair Ford in Westport, CT (I was working at Rye Ford at the time). I remember a few rides in that car. #3047 was fast! I think it was faster than the 'cammer' he had later. Always wondered where #3047 ended up as well as my car. I can't find any supporting paperwork (CSX #) for location of the blue car I had the good fortune of owning briefly. Is the 'cammer' still out there?