Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     
Default Door Hinge Strap

Has anyone installed the leather door hinge straps on their car, or have an original Cobra with them installed? I was looking at my door hinge area, and the only thing limiting the travel on the door swing is the body. There is no stop. The leather straps would limit the travel and stop the current impact of the hinge arms with the body.

I didn't seem to find any threads here that dealt with this.

Thx.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Door straps

You would be wise to install mechanical stops on your hinges, I have had the straps for years and they will stretch enough to actually let the door contact the fender if someone opens the door with too much force. Mike McClusky installed stops on my hinges and I have not had fender contact since.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
Has anyone installed the leather door hinge straps on their car, or have an original Cobra with them installed? I was looking at my door hinge area, and the only thing limiting the travel on the door swing is the body. There is no stop. The leather straps would limit the travel and stop the current impact of the hinge arms with the body.

I didn't seem to find any threads here that dealt with this.

Thx.
I have a set I was going to install, but then I wondered what was worse, the hinge contacting the body, or the screws holding the straps to the thin fiberglass door shell getting ripped out instead. I don't know the answer to that yet. Anyone? There seems to be no really solid thick place to screw these straps solidly into the door, or even the body for that matter..
Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have a set I was going to install, but then I wondered what was worse, the hinge contacting the body, or the screws holding the straps to the thin fiberglass door shell getting ripped out instead.

Where did you get the door straps? I fortunately have a steel plate between the two hinge arms on the door that you can drill and tap for mounting screws. I was just wondering how the original cars had them mounted or if there were some pictures of them around.

Tom
Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Someone was selling them here on CC unused. They're beautiful tan thick leather straps with black mounting brackets. I really want to use them but I need to figure out where to mount them that won't just tear the screws out of the thin inner door panels. I don't know if I have steel in there and if so how big is is and where it's located. Also, I don't see an easy place to mount them on the body side opposite the door opening. I have to spend more time on this later, as I'm buried just trying to screw the car together now!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF supplied the body,frame,and some of the driveline-I completed it to be a very accurate 289 slabside
Not Ranked     
Default Door Straps

I have had some straps on my slabside replica for several years and they work great. I cut them out of 1/4" leather that I got at a shoe repair place and dyed them black. The important thing to do is to add a "fulcrum" that the strap bends around to create a force more near perpendicular to the plane of the door and keep the strap off the door jam. I replicated what the originals had using steel tube about 1 1/4" OD securely attached to the door jam. One end of the strap is held to the tube with a screw and finish washer. This is what original 289's had. I don't know about 427's.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

How about these from Finishline:

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...roducts_id=105
Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Rodney. I saw those and wondered how close they were to what was used on the 427 cars, if any. I wish I could see some pictures. Maybe next weekend I'll look through the registry to see if there are any interior shots.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, it tells me how little I know about the originals. Obviously, my Kirkham doesn't have them and I was wondering yesterday, when taking a ride in my neighbor's just finished FFR, "why the heck would someone put leather door straps over there by the door hinges?"

I guess his FFR is a more accurate replica than my Kirkham.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Those are the ones I have. They are very nice - well made, for what it's worth.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@harrison.ne View Post
I have had some straps on my slabside replica for several years and they work great. I cut them out of 1/4" leather that I got at a shoe repair place and dyed them black. The important thing to do is to add a "fulcrum" that the strap bends around to create a force more near perpendicular to the plane of the door and keep the strap off the door jam. I replicated what the originals had using steel tube about 1 1/4" OD securely attached to the door jam. One end of the strap is held to the tube with a screw and finish washer. This is what original 289's had. I don't know about 427's.
Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of how you installed them to give us some ideas? Please?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I had the same issue. As a stop-gap, I put "peel-n-stick" teflon pieces right behind the strap on the doorframe tube behind the hinge cover and between the leather and the door frame tube.
Can't see them, and they decrease the distance before the leather meets the frame tube. Sure beats your doors hitting the front fender areas and leaving that nice little crease mark!!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

The Kirkham door hinge has a small "jag" in the metal that meets a travel-stop in the hinge, to avoid the door from being opened too far.

The original strap was a piece of black folded, padded leather...sewn on three sides, and attached to the door-side hinge plate on one end...and the lower cowl tube that surrounds the foot box on the other. It was held in place, I believe, by sheet-metal screws over trim washers.

Last edited by computerworks; 03-16-2009 at 07:56 PM..
Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great picture, Ron - thanks. The computer works great by the way. My 17 year old daughter thanks you!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

You're welcome on both counts.

Makes me smile...you've got to keep the kids happy.

When you look at the workings of the door hinge, it reminds you just how simple yet crude the original implementation was. The straps alone sure wouldn't last long under daily use.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF supplied the body,frame,and some of the driveline-I completed it to be a very accurate 289 slabside
Not Ranked     

Here is what the strap looks like on my 289 replica. The door end of the strap is attached to a steel plate that mounts the hinge. The thick leather has not stretched in 8 years.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The original strap was a piece of black folded, padded leather...sewn on three sides, and attached to the door-side hinge plate on one end...and the lower cowl tube that surrounds the foot box on the other. It was held in place, I believe, by sheet-metal screws over trim washers.
Thanks Ron and Jon. The pictures are what I was looking for. Does someone make these padded/sewn straps, or do we go to a shoe repair store and have the local cobbler make them up. Doesn't look too complicated.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
Thanks Ron and Jon. The pictures are what I was looking for. Does someone make these padded/sewn straps, or do we go to a shoe repair store and have the local cobbler make them up. Doesn't look too complicated.
Well, there's always the local S&M store. They should have a great selection of leather. Sorry Tom, my fingers couldn't stop typing.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, there's always the local S&M store. They should have a great selection of leather
One thing for you buddy, "Oye Vey"!!! Only you would know what they have in an S&M store. Do they also have refried beans?