Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Barrett Jackson survival kit ?

This will be my first BJ . Any most do or see ? Any thing to look out for or avoid ?
SDR
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2007 BDR FR Boss 302
Not Ranked     

Make sure you go to the Russo Steele Auction also. They are about 2-3 miles apart. They will have some nice cars also. Much smaller then Barrett Jackson so not as packed with people and able to look at the cars more closely. Have fun and maybe I'll run into you there. Also, make sure you bring good walking shoes and a camera.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Watch out for the drinks served by the rather attractive bartenders with low cut shirts. They will cause you to bid on cars when you initially did not intend to purchase anything at the auction.

If you are going just for fun I wouldn't worry about much. It's a great event and there are a lot of fun cars to check out. Make sure you pack polo shirts and a pull over. The weather is very nice, but it gets a little chilly at night.
If you are going as a buyer, i would recommend trying to talk to the owner of the car before bidding. I would only bid on the cars that have detailed pictures books and records. There are some cars at the auction, i think i heard a guy recently refer to them as "California Shine models", that look great, but the mechanical, electrical, and suspension components on the cars are a mess. Make sure you watch the cars you are interested in, if any, start and shut down. If they blow smoke or sound odd, walk away. That might sound obvious, but the cars only run for short segments before getting on stage and you would be surprised at how many peoples better judgement goes right out the window at barrett-jackson. Its easy to get caught up in the excitement and i know all about it. My father purchased one of the "california shine" cars last year. A nice looking 1961 3000 Austin Healey. I have already had to rework the front suspension and now i am onto the engine.
Ill be there from Wednesday till Saturday. Im selling one of my cars on Thursday night. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

If you're not going as a bidder you will have access to all of the car staging areas and vendor display areas. The Scottsdale auction is set up at Westworld and it is huge. With the auction area and seating area being the center, the best cars are in the tent to the south (I think I have the directions correct). The vendor area is at the other side of the center area.

More than half of the cars are in tents outside.

If you're a car nut it will take you the better part of two days to walk and gawk at all of the cars. I take lots of pictures and I've always needed three days to get good shots of all the interesting things.

The cars inside the primary display area are blocked off by ropes. You can't get close to them at all. If you cross over expect one of the BJ security folks to challenge you. If the owner is present he can invite you over the line. Many but not all will be there. If not you can ask at the key area to be allowed in. (Don't bother with any of this if you don't have a bidder badge. Just taking pictures isn't enough of a reason.)

If you have a bidder badge you can also get access to the auction block. Most cars are only visible "opened up" - hood up, doors/windows open, etc while on the way to the block and on the block itself unless you're able to find the owner. Again, no tall owners are present. If the owner isn't present follow the car through the staging area outside where they clean and polish. The driver will most often at least let you look inside and let you hear the engine run. They probably won't open the hood.

I won't be going this year - too busy in January.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

RestoCreations I gonna start a thread ........get a CC meet at the SAAC or Shelby American booth . Twobjshelby sorry to hear your not gonna make this year
SDR

Last edited by somedayaurora; 12-20-2010 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: ?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedayaurora View Post
RestoCreations I gonna start a thread ........get a CC meet at the SAAC or Shelby American booth . Twobjshelby sorry to hear your not gonna make this year
SDR
I'm going to be quite busy in Arizona next year. I've got the Bondurant driving school to do some time in the spring and then a likely 3 week trip down the Grand Canyon in August. The summer is going to be busy.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds like fun , don't forget to bring water ! oh hey you should see the new movie with james franco in it , I believe that took place in the grand canyon.
Cheers
SDR
Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't forget to pack rain gear and a light jacket!!! Last year it literally never stopped raining the whole time. Several of the parking lots were closed (one is a polo field that doubles as a retention pond). The weather was terrible. The wind storm blew over the tent at one of the other auctions (Russo-Steele?) I had to get off the road on the way back from dinner at Carnut's because the tent was on the 101 Freeway (I think it was in the grassy area next to the road but not on the road).
Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think that was a once in 10 year occurrence for the Scottsdale area. It was pretty bad weather, but the chance of it occurring two years in a row would be highly unlikely! I had a car there and I was so thankful that it rolled on the block and sold right before the bad weather hit. They kept selling cars into the first leg of the bad stuff. I felt really bad for those sellers because nobody was left bidding on the cars except a small handful of people. They finally stopped the auction once the tent roofs started to flap around violently. They had to brace the tent roof supports with cranes in the concourse area. All cars came through unscathed though. They really tie those tents down well.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

I think you have all the good advice you need here. I would only add one other thought..if you like working in your own garage, spend some time in the opening large tent where all the vendors are and if you see anything that interested you, just ask for a card. It is a bit overwhelming but I have actually did some purchases on smaller garage items, tools, etc after I got back and I was only able to b/c I saved some of the brochures/ business cards from the trip.....there is so much going on and so many people that I found it much easier to just crab some information and follow up later.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I always take a back pack of sorts for a light weight coat and any brochures/information that I come across. Greatest car show of the year. I will be there! Have fun!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wear very comfortable shoes... It is a great car event. Also go to Russo Steele show just up the road. Lot of great restaurants in the Scottsdale area.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great advice guys thanks . If you get a chance I'm trying to set up a Club Cobra members meet up at the SPF booth .
SDR
Old 12-21-2010, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Unless you are buying something you will find that more than one day at B-J is too much. The R&S is ok but the really good auctions are the R&M and Gooding which have fantastic cars and not just junk slapped together for the auction like the others. There is a lot of other stuff to do as well, the Pavillions car show , the Hall of Flame Museum, and a lot of other things too. Here is a calendar of events:

http://www.desertcruisers.com/index....dar&stateid=AZ

You will be bored at B-J after 10 minutes in the auction hall if you are not buying, It is like watching someone play a video game. Not to mention how low class it really is with all these people shouting and cajoling people to blow their money on used cars while they ply them with alcohol with lots of crocodile tears and bullsh@t thrown in..... I don't care to go any more and I live less than a mile from the tent.

The RM and Gooding are somewhat less of a circus act...

If you are here on the 5th of February, do not miss this event:

http://scuderiasw.com/Schedule__Calendar_.html

Typically 50-60 Ferarris and Lambos, a Veyron, a Grumpert Apollo , Saleen S7, Konigseeggggg whatever, and a lot of cool and quirky cars that do not usually hit the Pavillions.. Send me a message when you are here to my email and I will show you some wild private car collections...

No guarantee but P1075 and P1076 are here near the Scottsdale aeroport, along with CSX 2601...

Last edited by Mulv; 12-21-2010 at 01:53 PM..
Old 12-21-2010, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I cant believe I will miss scottsdale cars and coffee , leaving on the 3rd . Great links , thanks . Working on getting email/web phone for trip .
SDR
Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you will definitely find more than 10 minutes of entertainment if you have any real interest in cars and people for that matter. Give a shout when it gets closer to the auction.

And MULV, being an individual that pays meticulous detail to his own restorations and sells some of them at the barrett-jackson auctions, i take offense to your above statement!!! If you look around the auction you will find plenty of quality cars. Are there some cars that are mechanically junk with a show quality finish, sure. However, that is just like any auction or classic car lot. Barrett-jackson is a great event and i can assure you that the majority of vehicles there are restored by individuals that have a passion for classic cars and would not try to pass off a piece of junk off on an unsuspecting buyer. There are a lot of people that seem to have a beef with barrett-jackson for buying a turd of a car when they did not do their own research before bidding. The cars are easily accessible long before bidding and contrary to popular belief, for those that have not attended a B-J auction, details are available and the hoods are raised. Its the bidders responsibility to research the cars before getting carried away and bidding in excess of the value of the car when it is on the auction block.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 12-21-2010 at 07:35 PM..
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Please do not take offense, there are many people who think the B-J is a car event and not a "used car grab as much money as possible thing for the blue collar set". There are people who think NASCAR is racing too. I am sure that the cars you make are not slapped together but are very historically significant items like the other two auctions sell. The fact that you make cars specifically for the auction says it all... Along with the guy who is so shifty he wears sunglasses all the time...