LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Roadster, 5.0L
Send a message via AIM to Dans65
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up CACC Frostbite Cruise 2011

Just thought I shared abit about a great cruise we did, considering the road conditions.

Capital Area Cobra Club New Year's Day Frostbite Cruise
The weather was in the high forties to the low 50's all day with broken clouds in the morning thickening in the afternoon. The roads were coated with the chemicals left by the snow fall (not even a 1/4") we had last week, creating a slippery condition and dangerous for the heavy footers (Like me!). We started out in McClean, Va. and went right on to the Tidal Basin House parking lot along the Potomac River in Washington D.C. Then we headed out to Haines point to over look the river of Ronald Reagan National Airport, but did not stop, so it was an over the shoulder review! The next thing was driving up the Rock Creek Parkway passing the Jefferson Memorial, The Kennedy Center (under it actually with the resonance of revving motors!), and then passing next to the City Zoo to Beach drive and thru the tunnel for more sound blowing exhaust power! In which a lot of residents had covered their ears to protect them from the roar of POWER!
We reach our destination at the Pierce Mill rest stop to use a heated restroom at the park. Reminiscing with other drivers we haven't seen for a while and friends of a common love. We began our return into the heart of D.C. to the Capitol west parking lot. As we were heading down Constitution Ave with cameras flashing away and children smiling and point at these cars. Men and women on both sides of the streets gazing or gawking, pending on your attitude of the cars passing by! We made it the parking area with no issues or breakdowns, thank goodness! As we were coming into the parking area people from all around the scenery came to look and photograph the cars, the people, and location. We even had a Santa Claus driving his Cobra and someone to tell him naughty or nice she's been this year so far...Get it!!

After photos were finish and the parking lot thinning out, it was time to get going and get to our final destination...Lunch! We started down Constitution Ave westbound a few blocks to 9th Street, which is an underground tunnel that takes you to Rt. 395N/S, we headed south. Somehow I was the leading car through the tunnel with a Unique FIA close behind as we thrusted thru the darkened cave! We turned onto G.W. Parkway southbound to Ole Towne Alexandria to the Union Street Public House for refreshments and lunch. We parked in a paid parking lot that overlooks the Potomac River and just a block away from the restaurant. The food was excellent and we brought our own entertainment (ourselves!). After lunch, myself, my brother, and my brother-in-law departed to West Virginia for dinner with my sister. There was an incident with one of older gents with his car, but I was not there to witness. But I was told that when traffic was stopped on the G.W. Parkway due to an accident. A huge plum of a fireball erupted out the driver side. Someone said it looked like a Hiroshima explosion. Luckily, no damage to the car other than just soot on the side of the body...Whew!

I have links to my photobucket for anyone to view if would like to check them out, and also a link to a few vids, courteousy of Rex and Dave...Enjoy!
http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/...bite%20Cruise/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmrfVx5BQ_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwUNY...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRKAVeQnkuE
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Dan - Dave Apple already started another thread on the same cruise.....

Doug

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Roadster, 5.0L
Send a message via AIM to Dans65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Dan - Dave Apple already started another thread on the same cruise.....

Doug
Aw Man!!

Nevermind!!