Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     
Default RI vs CT

I am preparing to register my new BDR cobra. I am in the military with my residency in CT. I live in RI right now, and own land here. My drivers license is still CT.

I've read all the threads on RI, and CT about registration requirements. I understand RI will give me a 1965 title. I've also read FFR's threads.

The question I have: if I title it in CT, will it hurt my resale value -- assuming they still title it as a 2009 composite?

- How hard is it for future owners to take the CT title and register it in their state as 1965??

I don't want to do it in RI because, A) I will have to get a RI license, B) because I will have to truck it myself to the Pawtucket inspection facility, C) it makes it easier working with one state in the future as I move around a lot.

In CT, I can waive my registration fee (military waiver) and the dealer will bring it through the inspection.

Any advice?

Thanks,
PJ

Last edited by pjmoore2003; 03-05-2010 at 07:06 AM..
Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Based on the law in CT you are supposed to get a 1965 Title and Registration. I type supposed because the indians in the inspection teepee are not listening to the chief yet.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

CT Senate Bill 1081 ( annual DMV Bill for a number of updates/changes ) , now Public Act 09-187, has been passed by the General Assembly and sent to the Secretary of State, then to the Governor for approval/signing with effective date of Oct 1st;

Included is :

COMPOSITE MOTOR VEHICLES

The bill requires, for purposes of registration and mandatory mechanical inspections required by law, that the model year of a composite motor vehicle be determined as the model year that the body of the vehicle most closely resembles. The law defines a “composite motor vehicle” as one composed or assembled from several parts of other motor vehicles, or the identification and body contours of which are so altered that the vehicle no longer bears the characteristics of any specific make of motor vehicle. Any vehicle not assembled by a DMV-licensed manufacturer is considered a composite motor vehicle.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is it harder to sell the car with a CT title (assuming they don't give a 1965 title)?
- to certain states?
- to overseas (thinking Japan)?

Last edited by pjmoore2003; 03-05-2010 at 07:10 AM..
Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3881 427 FE w/2x4bbls and 4 spd toploader
Not Ranked     

Hey PJ.
First thanks for your service to the country and second there are several 'roadsters' in the E. Haddam area. Bought a house in E. Haddam recently and know of at least four (including mine) roadsters, 2 ERA's and 2 FFR's that prowl the Essex to E. Haddam area.
If you could or would like to register your car in CT as a 1965 you will not be issued a title because of the cars 'supposed' age. Early American or Antique registrations might be considered fraud by the DMV or tax folks (that should make SB 1081 interesting if it ever gets signed into law). With that in mind all you'll get is the registration if the car is "25 years or older". I don't know if that would seriously impact the cars re sale value but it is a point to consider when registering especially if a potential buyer down the road is not a CT resident. Make sure you get Veteran plates (I have them on mine) in case you do something 'stupid' while playing with horsepower. Those plates seem to make the police much more friendly should you ever get stopped.
RB
Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

The Model Year registration became effective as of 10-1-09, as an example:

Make: Composite
Year: 1965
Model: Cobra

CT refers to all kit cars/replicas as Composite, the law did not change the Make name, only the Model year.

The 4C's ( CT Council of Car Clubs ) has reported new kit car registration, made after 10-1-09 , have been given the model year of choice. The one example cited was a Porsche. The owner had brought with him the section of the law which established model year registration. The applicant filled out in advance the paperwork with the Model Year of choice.

Not sure if the DMV might require a picture etc of an original to validate the requirement the model year the body most closely resembles.

For CT Composite registrations, exempt from emissions testing, RI ?

Your " Harder to sell " question, with so many states all having different regulations, no easy answer. Might or could be a 1965/66 in one state, but the new state might/could require kit cars/replicas to be the Model year to be the year registered in the new state.

Happened to me when I had a legal title/registration, not a Title company, from one state as a 1965 and CT would not accept , since it was a kit car. Also, might be different regulations in the various states regarding compliance with emissions.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Commodore, thought the Early American plates were now available for vehicles at 20 years of age, the change being made a few years ago ?

The Model Year registration as a 1965/66 , should also allow for a maximum property value for tax purposes @ $500. However, appears some Town tax assessors might still have different interpretations.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, everyone for the feedback
Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Application for Early American plates states 20 years or older: