Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Euro 427, Ford 302
Not Ranked     
Default renewing CT registration on line

Well its time to renew my registration(s). My Cobra is registered as 2006 composite and the registration has "This vehicle is emissions compliant" written on it. When I go online to renew the registration there is no field to capture the emissions testing status. We have 3 other cars all of which need an emissions test and the online form is exactly the same as the Cobra.

Has anyone here used this on line facility? What did you do about proof of emissions testing compliance?

TIA John
Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

John, not familiar with the on line method, as I have mailed in my registration renewals.

The CT emission exemption is based upon the make name: Composite

http://www.ctemissions.com/exempt.html

On the web site to the right, the registration number can be keyed in to determine if the Composite coding is correct

http://www.ctemissions.com/testdate.html

Not aware you have to prove, the make name of Composite should suffice.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Don

I just checked on that link and rechecked my registration. Registration has the following statements.

"This vehicle is emissions compliant. Your next emissions test date is 05/07/2010"

The link you gave me also confirms the test date

If its compliant, it shouldn't need a test, right? The car is registered as a 2006 composite; on the title and the registration.

I can see the red tape rising up to meet me......
Old 03-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John, my mistake on the terminology, should be using the VIN, not the registration number. Something is odd, when I keyed in the VIN for my Composite I get a test date for 2016. I expected no date since with the make of Composite, vehicle should be exempt.

At this stage, I am guessing. Might want to check using:

Emissions Division at (203) 805-6244, or email the DMV emissions division at emissions@dmvct.org
Old 03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

Call the number on the registration renewal form and they will correct it. I recently renewed mine in Ct by mail, and the form said they would not renew until I passed emissions. I checked the website for my emissions date and it said April 2008, which is when I first registered the car. When I called, the guy verified that my car is indeed a composite, and apologized for the error. He removed the emissions date requirement and sent my new registration the next day. He also mumbled something about their system being messed up.......
Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks guys I'll try that and let you know.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So I called the emissions division and had exactly the same conversation that Pete had. A very helpful guy said yes its clearly a mistake and my car should have been logged in the system as not needing emissions testing, and that he would "take care of it". Fortunately my plates are up to date until May so I have some breathing space.

Interestingly, he also said that the system currently does not allow them to have no date for emissions inspection. At the input end, the field has to be filled in. So what they apparently do for composites is to complete the input field with the last possible date that the system can accept. So I should still expect to see a "test due date" but it will be in the year 2020 or something.

When my new registration turns up I'll let you know what it says.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Explains why when I entered my Composite VIN , the system returned a test date of 2016. I had sent an inquiry to the DMV by e-mail asking for clarification. When/if received, I will post.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

*** Question I asked to to DMV Emissions:

In checking my vehicles for the Emissions Test date on the web site, I also entered the VIN for my Composite. The system returned a Test Date in 2016. As a Composite, which is exempt, I expected no test date.

Can you clarify ?

*** Reply:

" When a vehicle does not appear in the database as exempt, but should be, we manually process a Commissioners Certificate to extend the date out as far in the future as our system allows. This process will therefore give the vehicle a new due date. To ensure it is specified in the DMV database as exempt it must be listed as a Composite vehicle in the DMV registration database "

" In looking up the vehicle information I see the reference COMPO as the make of the vehicle. My understanding is that if the vehicle shows COMPO, as Body type, the system would recognize it as exempt. I have processed another time extension for the time being, extending the due date out even further, to 2019, which is as far as we can go. This should prevent any problems for awhile. When it is time to renew the registration again you should consider correcting it to show COMPO as the body style. "
Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ah I see. My registration also has COMPO as the make. Under body style its a 2DR. Lets see what happens. The thing is, I always have a bad feeling when it comes to dealing with the government.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My registration:

MAKE: COMPO

MODEL: ROADSTER

BODY STYLE: 2D SED
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Make COMPO
Model COBRA
Body Style 2DR
Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just received my commissioners certificate of exemption, giving me a new test date of 2019, but noticed that the ct emissions web site still showed a test due date of may 2010. So I contacted the ct emissions website with the following:

"I have a composite vehicle which is exempt from emissions testing.
I have just received a commissioners certificate confirming this, and
giving a new test due date of 2019. However the CT emissions web
site still shows my test due date as 05/07/2010. My question is this:
When I come to renew my registration, will the DMV know that my
vehicle is exempt? Can I register on line, or do I have to take the
commissioners certificate to a DMV branch?

I do not want to be driving an illegal car, so I want to get all
these issues resolved before my registration expires.

Thank you in advance for your help. "

The same day, I received this reply
"Your vehicle is exempt from testing. There is a lag between DMV updating a test date and the update on the web site. You should not encounter any problems with your registration. DMV records are up to date."

Sorted.