LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SC427 Red w/White stripes
Not Ranked     
Default CA Registration help

Hi Guys,
I'm hoping anyone out there has encountered a similar sitution so that I can get a little advice on how to proceed...
I purchased an SC427 back in 2004 that already had a referee label and registered with an SB100 exempt status. For the change of title in '04, DMV required that I smog the vehicle (to which I argued that it was exempt but they wouldn't listen so I went ahead & obtained a passing cert). I have registered the car every year since with no biennial smog notice. I just received my renewal that is now requiring me to get a biennial smog. It turns out that when someone at DMV transferred the reg, they somehow changed the year of the car to 2004 instead of leaving it at "0000". FYI: my title shows Yr-"0000". Now, DMV says that I need to go thru the whole SB100 process again because that is the "official" process for each time a SPCN is transferred title.
HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS ON A CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP?
Any advice is greatly appreciated,
John
Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I would go to a different DMV office. Since you have an SB100 number sequence number and the car has always been in California, there is absolutely no reason why you would have to go through the SB100 process again.

If you don't get any satisfaction, you might want to search for Mr. Morgester here on CC and send him an email.

Also, take a picture of the SB100 BAR tag that shows the sequence number. Keep pressing them until someone comes up with correct answer.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default !!!!!!!!

Woah!
Lesson learned. When buying a used SB-100 car, make sure the year stays "0000" during your reg.
When I bought a used SPF SB-100, I simply went to the AAA and luckily they kept it at "0000". They questioned it and I told them why it should remain. But I had no idea what could come out of the wrong year being entered?
rodneym
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I second the "go to a different DMV". Then get the manager involved.

They have made a mistake and they should be the ones to correct it. Year should be 0000 and the SB100 negates any future smog checks.

Good freakin luck dealing with those morons!

Once obtained, the SB100 exemption is good for the life of the car as long as it hasn't been re-registered in another State in between.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yea, they said I needed to apply for a new sequence number because each new owner is supposed to apply for that. I sopke to the mgr of the Folsom office and she is the person that has contacted her superiors and related individuals instrucing her to tell me to do this.
Any other ideas?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsred View Post
Yea, they said I needed to apply for a new sequence number because each new owner is supposed to apply for that. I sopke to the mgr of the Folsom office and she is the person that has contacted her superiors and related individuals instrucing her to tell me to do this.
Any other ideas?
First, try another office. Insist on talking to a manager and walk them through the paperwork and what happened. Show them a picture of the BAR sticker with the SB100 number on it. SB100 stays with the car and is 100% transferable in CA.

It's a long drive, but Jody (Manager) at the Santa Clara DMV is a guru in all things SB100 and would get to the bottom of the issue.

As I mentioned, another option would be to contact Mr. Robert Morgester (Deputy AG and very knowledgeable about SB100).

Robert Morgester
916-445-9330
Robert.Morgester@doj.ca.gov

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 05-06-2010 at 01:03 PM..
Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP478
Not Ranked     

The Placerville office is very knowledgeable and very easy to deal with.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsred View Post
Any other ideas?
They are wrong, unless the car was registered in another state. Then, you will have to reapply after you bring the car back to California. If the car you bought was currently registered in California, and had an sb100 exemption, it will be transferred to the new owner.

Go to another DMV that specializes in sb100. These guys will know who to send you to. The DMV I went to in Oceanside argued with me for a half hour that there were no more numbers left in 2009. I was there in August and already knew there were about 80 numbers as yet unclaimed. After pleading and begging for them to call Sacramento, they finally called their manager who confirmed that a memo had been sent out saying there were more numbers available. Those clerks don't like to be proven wrong! They were not happy with me. F em!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, I have now been to 5 DMV offices in Sacto (including the 1 in Placerville). They are ALL saying that on every change of ownership, a new "SPCNS Certificate of Sequence" number is required; which means going back through the entire BAR referree process again. Luckily enough, there are still cert numbers available. I really feel sorry for the person that tries to register a SPCN car when there are no more numbers left in each year.
I have messages in to Robert Morgester but haven't heard back yet. What a pain in the *ss the DMV is! It looks like I have to pay for DMV's screw-up.
Any more ideas guys?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Beware of CA registration!!

I purchased an SC427 from the original owner in 2004. It already had a BAR referee label from 1994 indicating an SB100 exemption but DMV required me to obtain a smog cert for the change of title (even after arguing for 30 minutes). It has always been registered in CA. My title shows Year model as "0000". Somehow, someone down at DMV headquarters changed the year model to 2004 on the registration and now kicking out a biennial smog cert required. I have been to 5 different DMV offices and spoke to each and every manager to explain their mistake. ALL of them are telling me that the SB100 that was isssued in 1994 is now called "Certificate of Sequence" and is NOT transferable. They are saying that each new owner must go back through the entire process every time you transfer title. Of course that is providing DMV has any cert numbers left in that particular year. They say if there are no numbers left, you don't get an exemption and register your car until you can get a number in the following year.
What a crock!!!
Is there anyone out there with any suggestions?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

get the hell out of there and move to America (Northern Virginia) where reistration is easy and you can register as the year the car was built to represent with no property tax, no inspection for classic plates, simple easy registration etc etc.

The whole place will fall into the ocean soon anyway.

________

Last edited by CobraEd; 05-12-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The list of what is wrong in CA is looooooong.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-12-2010, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

no trees, no greenery, just dirt dirt dirt

________

Last edited by CobraEd; 05-12-2010 at 01:32 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

This seems to go against everything I've read. I'm sure you'll get some help soon from some resident SB-100 gurus.
rodneym
Old 05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did you ask them if there are any SB100 numbers left? If so, you should grab one and go through the process ASAP.

I recall your earlier post about the issue, but now see that your car was originally registered in 1994. The SB100 process wasn't implemented until around 2001, so it's likely that your car was registered as Special Construction Vehicle, but not specifically under the SB100 program.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

There was a thread on here earlier that indicated that there were SB100 numbers left for this year. It may be easier to try to get one of them.
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

That sounds very strange to me...when I bought my SPF in 2007 I simply took the pink slip that showed that it was registered as a SPCN to my local DMV and they changed the ownership. I didn't have to jump through any flaming hoops except for the big check it took to get out of the place. Good luck with the bureaucrats.
Bob
Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Something is not correct here. When I sold my last Cobra in 2009, all we did was go to DMV and sign the Pink slip and they gave the new owner a new title. The SB100 was transferred along with the car. It applies to the car, only, and is transferable every time the car is sold and registered in California.

Here is the wording right off of the DMV's site:

SPCNS Certificates of Sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. The seller of a vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS Certificate of Sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents.

Thus, it remains with the vehicle, and is transferred (like a VIN number) to the next buyer. You are not trying to change the name on it. It is like the license plate number. Goes from one owner to the next.

Last edited by jhv48; 05-12-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, they do have numbers left. I guess that I'll have to just bite the bullet. God help those of you that buy a used Cobra and DMV doesn't have any numbers left.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Default coveted “SB-100”

Registered under the coveted “SB-100” (California Senate Bill 100)—that means no smog certification, no California registration hassles for the life of the car!