LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Something is not correct here. When I sold my last Cobra in 2009, all we did was go to DMV and sign the Pink slip and they gave the new owner a new title. The SB100 was transferred along with the car. It applies to the car, only, and is transferable every time the car is sold and registered in California.
Read through this thread. Key point is that the car was originally registered in 1994 and later transferred to the current owner. SB100 didn't exist in 1994. The car was assigned some sort of BAR tag, but it wasn't SB100

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...hreadid=104463

Any car that is currently registered in CA under SB100 can be sold and the registration will transfer to the new owner as smog exempt under SB100.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
The list of what is wrong in CA is looooooong.
Haven't we gone through this already?

I think here are some Northern Virginians, maybe cousins of Patrick, that moved out to California, not even Northern California:

Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

He states that the car has a SPCNS sticker with the SB100 exemption on the car. So, someone either got the exemption after purchasing the car in order to legally register it and pass smog requirements, OR the sticker is bogus. My bet is on the former.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

YEP...Year-round Cobra driving is such a pain in the ass.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post
Registered under the coveted “SB-100” (California Senate Bill 100)—that means no smog certification, no California registration hassles for the life of the car!

Maybe not. Did you read this part of his post - ALL of them are telling me that the SB100 that was isssued in 1994 is now called "Certificate of Sequence" and is NOT transferable. They are saying that each new owner must go back through the entire process every time you transfer title. Of course that is providing DMV has any cert numbers left in that particular year. They say if there are no numbers left, you don't get an exemption and register your car until you can get a number in the following year.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Yup...after reading TWO threads and combining the info, that is what appears to have happened. As noted, the SB100 smog exemption did NOT exist in 1994. State Senator Johannessen (CSX owner) got it passed in 2001...

The SB100 exemption has nothing to do with registration...it merely exempts the designated vehicle from being tested. It is, however, tied to the designated to the vehicle.

SPCN numbers are VIN numbers for "specially constructed vehicles" (SPCN), and should never be changed, even with a change of ownership that keeps the car in California.

You need to bypass the morons in the local DMV offices and get someone interested in Sacramento.

...or simply go get another SB100 number since, as the threadstarter notes, there are some left for 2010. Sometimes it's better to simply go around the ends than keep plowing up through the middle.

...and really, one thread is enough. Posting two threads is like working for the DMV.

Last edited by Jamo; 05-12-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
This...from someone in Washington DC?

And the rest of you non-Californios...bite us.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SC427 Red w/White stripes
Not Ranked     

My apologies for starting a new thread on the registration forum. I'm just really frustrated with the morons at DMV and was hoping someone else had one last idea. However, the way that DMV has interpreted the Sequence cert is as I said before. They think it stays with the owner, not the car.
Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm going to have to get a new exemption cert. Thank God there are numbers left.
Have fun driving out there in this beautiful weather.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I think there are some Northern Virginians, maybe cousins of Patrick, that moved out to California, not even Northern California:
Yep, and you can find me out by the "cement pond."
Old 05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

No problem...certainly understand your frustration. Just keep at it.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

John,
Are you sure that you BAR sticker says "SB-100" on it or is it just an "Engine Identification" sticker that states your engine information and what "smog" equipment is required to have on it.

Mine was first registered in the late 80's- early 90's as a 0000 SPCN and just has a BAR "Engine Identification" sticker. I first registered it in 2005 or 2006 and no problems at all. Also, no smog req when I get my tags every year. My BAR sticker does have some BAR id numbers on it in red color but it is not a SB-100.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Don't be surprised if when you get to DMV they say all the numbers were gone on the first day of the year.

That's what they told me when I went in last August. I had to fight for two days to get them to call Sacramento and verify that numbers were, in fact, still available.

So, you might just end up with a second fight on your hands.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ca

No thanks Jamo---I think Ca will continue to bite you for us.
From one of the 49 "third world states" Ron
Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

There was no such thing as SB100 in 1994. I registered in 1995. At that time, you registered either as the year of the motor or the year of manufacture. Cars registered in 1994 have to get smogged every 2 years. The only exemption would be if you had a 1964 or earlier motor.

You can go to every DMV in the state and they will all tell you the same thing. You need to smog it every 2 years. That label you have is a BAR label, but it is not an SB100.

Go get an SB100.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Seems to me this is not the first time this has been an issue? Non transferable SB100 numbers problems have been mentioned around here before. I'm not sure what causes some SB100's to go through and others have to start over again.

...maybe that was a Calif car sold out of state and then coming back into California, triggers a new SB100 thing?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
There was no such thing as SB100 in 1994. I registered in 1995. At that time, you registered either as the year of the motor or the year of manufacture. Cars registered in 1994 have to get smogged every 2 years. The only exemption would be if you had a 1964 or earlier motor.

You can go to every DMV in the state and they will all tell you the same thing. You need to smog it every 2 years. That label you have is a BAR label, but it is not an SB100.

Go get an SB100.
Without the Jonsred posting a pic of the actual BAR Sticker, we are only guessing if it is an SB100 sticker or not.

Paul is correct for how replicas were handled in 1994 (ie: pre-SB100 days) - in many cases the BAR allowed the owner to have their replica meet the smog requirements of the "year of block", which was easy to meet if one used a vintage 1960's block. This "loop hole" has been recently closed by BAR for new replicas, but existing replicas should be "grandfathered" in.

Regardless, we are all guessing since we cannot see exactly what the sticker says.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsred View Post
I purchased an SC427 from the original owner in 2004. It already had a BAR referee label from 1994 indicating an SB100 exemption but DMV required me to obtain a smog cert for the change of title (even after arguing for 30 minutes). It has always been registered in CA. My title shows Year model as "0000". Somehow, someone down at DMV headquarters changed the year model to 2004 on the registration and now kicking out a biennial smog cert required. I have been to 5 different DMV offices and spoke to each and every manager to explain their mistake. ALL of them are telling me that the SB100 that was isssued in 1994 is now called "Certificate of Sequence" and is NOT transferable. They are saying that each new owner must go back through the entire process every time you transfer title. Of course that is providing DMV has any cert numbers left in that particular year. They say if there are no numbers left, you don't get an exemption and register your car until you can get a number in the following year.
What a crock!!!
Is there anyone out there with any suggestions?
Your right Randy. There is conflicting information here. A 1994 BAR label would not indicate SB100. Also conflicting with a 1994 registration is the title showing '0000'. That was not done back on 1994 titles. A 1994 title would have said 1994. SB100 titles say '0000'.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

My CR was first registered in the late 80's - early 90's (no later that 1992 because that was the first time that I saw it) and all it has from BAR is an "Engine Identification" tag on it that does not have SB100 on it anywhere. My title says "0000 SPCN" and I do not have to smog it..
Old 05-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry, most-interesting. What year was the block at that time?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SC427 Red w/White stripes
Not Ranked     

OK, here's the scoop. It turns out that the BAR label on the car is NOT an SB100. It is just a BAR referee label from 1994. When I bought the car in 2004, the seller told me it was an SB100 label and I took his word for it. So at this point, I am going to go get a sequence number so I won't have to do this again.
However, beware that all 5 DMV offices think the sequence number stays with the owner and not the car.
Thank you all for your input. It helped me get to the bottom of it.

Last edited by Jonsred; 05-13-2010 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: misprint