21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 05-14-2010, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     
Default Connecticut (CT) Registration

In March, I was able to get my BDR cobra registered as a 1965 with classic plates. Two days ago, I received a title (interesting cause my car has a lien) and today I received a corrected registration. My year has been changed to 2010. As it is listed as a composite, I am not worried about emissions. However, it was nice to have a 1965 registration with classic plates ($500 max tax). I am wondering when they will ask for my plates back.

Any recommendations on challenging this? Should I challenge it?

It took the head of DMV Whethersfield branch to get it registered that way in the first place...
Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Phil,
I don't know what to do. The law is being completely ignored as it is written by half the parties involved and the other half are following it some of the time. Even the supervisors are saying one thing and doing another.

I think we need to arrange some form of forum with the commissioner. The 4Cs should be able to get this straight.

I'm sure Don will pickup on this.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Approx 4 to 6 months ago, I brought the situation of the DMV not consistently following the Model Year registration to the attention of the Vice-Chair/4C's, CT Council of Car Clubs. For those that do not know, the 4C's have a paid lobbyist ( $1,100/mo ) that interacts with both the DMV and the General Assembly to represent the hobbyist interests. At times, the officers of the 4C's join the discussions.

The Vice-Chair offered that he is personally aware of successes in using the Model Year registration after 10-1-09, but did not share the names or any specifics.

In the last 4C's monthly bulletin, there was no mention of the 4C's or the lobbyist actively pursuing the issue. One of many possible conclusions, while not verified, might be there is no action being taken. Normally, activity of this nature is mentioned. The last reference from the Vice-Chair, X number of months ago, is to individually have a copy of the legislation with you and request the law be followed.

Keeping the discussion and resolution within the DMV, does anyone have a personal contact within the Senior Mgmt level of the DMV, i.e. someone that reports directly to the Commissioner ? Multiple specific examples would be needed for new registrations after 10-1-09 that did not receive the 1965/1966 Model Year.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well this proves that even if you are successful getting it registered, someone in the back room is still reviewing and standardizing registrations to 2010/current model year
Old 05-15-2010, 05:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

This is just a big pissing contest going on within the DMV. Just another example of doing business "anywhere other than CT".
Old 05-15-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default my bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Approx 4 to 6 months ago, I brought the situation of the DMV not consistently following the Model Year.....Multiple specific examples would be needed for new registrations after 10-1-09 that did not receive the 1965/1966 Model Year.
It's not that they are inconsistent... seems they could be consistently ignoring the law. Let's see if anyone keeps a 1965 Compo registration. I seem to be losing mine with no written explanation... just some change, stamped and authorized by someone in DMV. No explanation on how to follow up if I protest the change.

After my experience, I doubt that anyone will keep a 1965 registration.

Jay, can you poll all your recent CT customers? Should we talk to ERA recent registrations??? Other makes??? anyone out there in this forum???
Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From the June/July 4C's Newsletter:

" A discussion regarding the DMV's implementation of the new composite vehicle statue that allows composite vehicles be registered as the year they most closely resemble. Apparently, certain DMV personnel are aware of the statute change and feel they have the authority to decide not to apply it. It was recommended that Dave Bajumpaa contact Carroll Hughes and obtain his recommendations regarding DMV contact, etc. Part of that DMV contact will require specific details on the examples where the DMV did not follow new composite vehicles be registered as the year they most closely resemble "

To provide the required specific details, Dave's e-mail address:

dabajumpaa@aol.com

Subject of E-mail: Denial of Model Year Registration

For everyone's benefit, please provide Dave with the specifics. Also, this applies only to registrations after 10-1-09
Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Will send my details
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ooooooooooops, neglected to mention, also include the Vice-Chair of the 4C's, John @

patandlj@comcast.net
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any feedback from either Dave or John after submitting details on denial of Model Year Registration ?
Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Euro 427, Ford 302
Not Ranked     

I have nothing to add. Mine is registered as a 2006 composite and i haven't attempted to reregister according to model year. I am watching this thread with interest.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Model Year Registration applies only to new registrations on or after 10-1-09, not retroactive. Based upon a DMV opinion, in the interpretation of the words in the legislation...... " effective 10-1-09 ".

I am not aware of any efforts by the 4C's etc to apply Model Year Registration to existing registrations prior to 10-1-09 . Could be a future task after the current situation is resolved.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Was waiting to submit my information until I went to DMV. Finally made it to CT this morning to visit DMV. Old Saybrook manager Kelly took care of me. I'm still waiting to see but the following is the latest.

My situation is the following:
-Registered in March 2010 as a 1965
-Received title and "corrected" registration in May for 2010 model year
-Car has a lien and submitted an MSO when registering it
-When car was inspected, inspector refused to write 1965, but DMV whethersfield supervisor decided to ignore that according to the new law.

Went to Old Saybrook today. Kelly made me call the title office (860-263-5710).

Spoke to Ms.(?) Zee (last/first name?) in the title office. She told me:
1.) Title year was an error, and I can send the title back to be corrected for no fee.
2.) Go back into DMV office and tell them to correct your registration

Went back to Kelly. She called Zee. After about 45 minutes was told the following:
-I would need a title because I submitted a MSO with the car (?interesting?)
-Based on the law, DMV Old Saybrook will issue me a new "corrected" registration after the inspection office signs off on it being a 1965 since they originally wrote 2010.
-Waiting for someone(?) to leave a meeting at 1200 to sign off on the correction.
-Kelly is suppose to call me at that time and tell me I can come back to pick up a new registration.
-Will still have to send my title back to the title office for correction. Corrected title will be sent to bank.

Last edited by pjmoore2003; 06-15-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Once I know more today, I will send to 4C's
Old 06-15-2010, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No phone call received today. Tried to call the number Kelly gave me to call her but didn't get through. Will call tomorrow. Sending my info to Dave/4C's now.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PJ, if you do hear back from Dave on your example, please forward to John, Vice Chair of the 4C's. From previous discussions, he is aware of the situation, thanks

patandlj@comcast.net
Old 06-20-2010, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Never received call from ct DMV. Sent to Dave and John same time. I have not received anything back. Tried the number that I was suppose to call for DMV, can't get a live person on the phone. Will be gone for next two weeks and will follow up when I return.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Called number today after vacation. Had a message from Kelly when I got back. Will receive a 1965 registration and will turn in title to her. Talked to the bank, shouldn't be a problem, but was told they may call me if there's any questions about no title.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From the August edition of the 4C's newsletter:

" He also said that Caroll Hughes' ( 4C's lobbyist ) work is done so there will be no further lobbying fees. Dave still wants to work with Hughes on the composite vehicle issue "

No specific references to the Model Year Registration provision and whether any meetings were held with the DMV.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to DaelB
Not Ranked     

After reading all that, CA SB100 looks pretty good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: