21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default NJ Registration

I am considering a Factory Five Cobra from MA which is titled there as a 2006 Replica. Would NJ recognize the title and transfer it as a 2006 Replica or would they make me go the Specialty Construction route and the intensive inspection prior to allowing it on the road.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlierr View Post
I am considering a Factory Five Cobra from MA which is titled there as a 2006 Replica. Would NJ recognize the title and transfer it as a 2006 Replica or would they make me go the Specialty Construction route and the intensive inspection prior to allowing it on the road.

Thanks.

Yes, NJ will take it at face value.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

What about emissions Bill?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:13 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
What about emissions Bill?
Not 100% certain on the current emissions certifications for an out of state purchase that I do not respond with only half an answer in regards to that. Of course the easy thing about NJ is that they have private inspection stations as close as your local friendly gas station

Bill S.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

If they register it as a 2006 then it must pass emissions for a 2006. If it has an older block and you want it to pass emissions on the older block, then you must go the reconstructive vehicle route. Some one bought an ERA Cobra from ERA's secretary and registered it in NJ. They had no problem registering it as a 2005, but the engine was a 1975 block. It had to pass 2005 emissions, which it could not without cats and probably fuel injection. It turned into a real mess!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
If they register it as a 2006 then it must pass emissions for a 2006. If it has an older block and you want it to pass emissions on the older block, then you must go the reconstructive vehicle route. Some one bought an ERA Cobra from ERA's secretary and registered it in NJ. They had no problem registering it as a 2005, but the engine was a 1975 block. It had to pass 2005 emissions, which it could not without cats and probably fuel injection. It turned into a real mess!

Most of that sounds right, except for the last part. In NJ, you should be able to go to DMV, have them verify the year of the engine block and then get an "engine letter" from DMV stating that you have a 196x or 197x engine and then when you go for emissions testing, the emissions should be tested according to the year of the block, as stated in the "engine letter". My car is titled as a 2003 reconstructed vehicle, but I used a 1966 block. When I did the safety inspection to get my title, DMV verified the year of the engine and gave me a letter stating that the car should be treated as a 1966 for emissions testing purposes. Moral of the story, use a 74 or earlier engine block or hope NJ reinstates collector vehicle registration for kit cars, which exempts all kit cars, regardless of the year of the engine, from emissions testing.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
That's the exact situation I was recalling... a 1975 is probably one of the worst because it falls outside the 1974 requirement by a hair...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA Street #2122 , 302ci
Not Ranked     

Gentlemen, Let me try to clarify this in my mind. I have a BDR which is currently registered in another state as a 1965 Cobra Replica. If I attempt to register it in NJ it will be easily accepted for registration and it will be registered the same way as it currently is, a 1965 Cobra Replica. The problem will be with the State inspection and will be with emissions as the motor is a post 1974 motor (mine is a 2010 motor) and it will have to meet current emission requirements. Can I also assume that the car will also not meet today’s safety standards and that as well will create a hastle? I might add that I questioned my local DMV about registering the car in NJ and they claimed I had to go to either Trenton or a Regional DMV to register a replica. They couldn't answer why.

What is new with the collector vehicle registration for kit cars bill in the senate? Any one up to speed on this?

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Brothers..............
Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimeg View Post
Gentlemen, Let me try to clarify this in my mind. I have a BDR which is currently registered in another state as a 1965 Cobra Replica. If I attempt to register it in NJ it will be easily accepted for registration and it will be registered the same way as it currently is, a 1965 Cobra Replica. The problem will be with the State inspection and will be with emissions as the motor is a post 1974 motor (mine is a 2010 motor) and it will have to meet current emission requirements. Can I also assume that the car will also not meet today’s safety standards and that as well will create a hastle? I might add that I questioned my local DMV about registering the car in NJ and they claimed I had to go to either Trenton or a Regional DMV to register a replica. They couldn't answer why.

What is new with the collector vehicle registration for kit cars bill in the senate? Any one up to speed on this?
Partially correct, since NJ will accept the current title at face value, your car will have to, by default, pass 1965 emissions. It is only when you are going to title a vehicle initially off a MSO/MCO where you must go through the enhanced safety inspection NJ deems required for kit cars. Again, I shall repeat this ONLY IF YOUR CAR HAS NEVER BEEN TITLED BEFORE do you need to worry about the NJ enhanced safety inspection and the caveats that are required within.

Bill S.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA Street #2122 , 302ci
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill...............

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Brothers..............

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: