Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra #659 SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Question In PA

Hello everyone, I initially tried a search on your site but could not locate an answer. I hope somebody is from PA and has an answer!

I am looking at a car now, just finished in November but unregistered and untitled (not in PA). I contacted the DMV in Harrisburgh and after the phone call I am even MORE confused as to what I need to do to get a title and plate. I assumed ALL receipts and inspection would be all I would need ... I've built bikes before (New Hampshire and Maine) and that was the only requirement, seems PA is not as simple!

So now my question(s) :

What is required in PA and is it as difficult as the woman from DMV was making it?

Should I have seller do the title in his State then it's just a simple transfer (even though I would not be "first owner")?

Would the car be titled as 1966 Cobra or 2010/2011 Cobra?

What type of plate can be issued for the car, collector/antique/rod ???

Thanks for any help in advance, I can barely sleep waiting for this to be done!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:19 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-MAN View Post
Hello everyone, I initially tried a search on your site but could not locate an answer. I hope somebody is from PA and has an answer!

I am looking at a car now, just finished in November but unregistered and untitled (not in PA). I contacted the DMV in Harrisburgh and after the phone call I am even MORE confused as to what I need to do to get a title and plate. I assumed ALL receipts and inspection would be all I would need ... I've built bikes before (New Hampshire and Maine) and that was the only requirement, seems PA is not as simple!

So now my question(s) :

What is required in PA and is it as difficult as the woman from DMV was making it?

Should I have seller do the title in his State then it's just a simple transfer (even though I would not be "first owner")?

Would the car be titled as 1966 Cobra or 2010/2011 Cobra?

What type of plate can be issued for the car, collector/antique/rod ???

Thanks for any help in advance, I can barely sleep waiting for this to be done!

Forget about whatever they told you in Harrisburg as there are only three people in the entire office that know what kit cars are all about.

PA is a simple state to get a kit car titled and registered, you will need, at the very least from the seller, a notarized bill of sale for the car/kit listing a chassis number (the seller should have a manufacturers certificate of origin that lists this). With that you can then CLICK HERE for the additional paperwork and steps needed to title your new find as a "specialty constructed vehicle" (emissions exempt by law in PA). The specific form is MV-426B, fill it out, submit at your local notary and await authorization for your enhanced safety inspection (not all inspection facilities can do an enhanced safety inspection, CLICK HERE for the list of approved enhanced safety inspection stations listed by county). Pass your inspection, and submit paperwork at your notary, await a new state issued VIN plate(to be installed on the passenger upper corner of your firewall in the engine compartment), and title and you are good to go. It can be done in as little as 2 weeks, it could take up to 6 weeks, all depends on how prepared your paperwork is, and how backed up the specialty title division is at that time. Finally, the car will be titled as a 2011 "SPCN CONST" vehicle......

Yes, it really is that simple.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-27-2011, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Pa registration

Mrmustang,
i know this is an old thread but i have a relavent question. Can a cobra (era in this case) be registered in pa with the transfer of the title from ma? Was your new purchase registered by submitting a title from a previous state?
I have a potential purchaser who asked me that question and i don't know the answer and i thought you might.
Pat (ack fia)
Old 03-28-2011, 02:38 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack fia View Post
Mrmustang,
i know this is an old thread but i have a relavent question. Can a cobra (era in this case) be registered in pa with the transfer of the title from ma? Was your new purchase registered by submitting a title from a previous state?
I have a potential purchaser who asked me that question and i don't know the answer and i thought you might.
Pat (ack fia)
Yes, and yes......The new owner can fill out the forms at his/her local notary in less than 15 minutes.

Bill S.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1995 CMC 390 4 speed, blue, and 2002 CMC 390 C6 red.
Not Ranked     
Default Special construction

V
Bill is right on with the paper work and 426 form. I hope you have a COO.
I think it would be worth your time to first visit and review your paperwork with the approved inspection station as some may be better. They have been established in this procedure for about four years now. I had my cobra done at one of the two sites in Lancaster County and like Bill said ...TWO WEEKS the title!!. But I will say this , the girl at the station knew the routine and requiremnts thoughly. But most importantly. SHE HAND PRINTED THE INFO ON THE FORMS IN NEAT BLOCK LETTERS!!!. I feel after 20 years of submitting for reconstucted titles this was the most important...ok ...alittle sarcacastizm, but I was impressed to see the title in that short period of time..because I have had a checkmark missed and waited another 6 weeks for cars that only needed minor work.
Good Luck
joe
Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Classic Wheels #20117
Not Ranked     

Can this paperwork be started while the car is being built? (Shell Valley)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMangoMan View Post
Can this paperwork be started while the car is being built? (Shell Valley)
Not without the MSO/MCO. Besides, it takes very little time to fill it out and get an inspection scheduled. Usually a few hours........

Bill S.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #953. 347 by Ford Racing
Not Ranked     

I recently registered BDR 953. In addition to all said heretofore, you will need a PA Enhanced Vehicle Inspection. Do a Google search for one. If you are in Montgomery County, I can give you contact info for a great inspector who has a contact with a great tag agency. PM me.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Classic Wheels #20117
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Not without the MSO/MCO. Besides, it takes very little time to fill it out and get an inspection scheduled. Usually a few hours........

Bill S.
With an MCO, can paperwork be started or will I have to wait until the car actually arrives and still wait 2-6 weeks before I may legally drive it? (sorry to keep asking the same question different ways...)

Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is the process any different for bringing a kit cobra into PA that's already registered n another state?

Slightly different question- if its a kit but, registered n another state as a 1966 Ford Cobra, is it then the same process as transferring any other classic car into the state of PA?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd0729 View Post
Is the process any different for bringing a kit cobra into PA that's already registered n another state?

Slightly different question- if its a kit but, registered n another state as a 1966 Ford Cobra, is it then the same process as transferring any other classic car into the state of PA?
This one is a little more complicated to respond to, however, first off, I do not suggest attempting to get classic tags as you are opening a can of worms that may get your title/registration paperwork rescinded. Taking a title from another state into PA is hit and miss, if the VIN style listed on the current title is not in the PA system you will be required to go through the kit car title process (see above, yes, it really is painless these days). If the VIN style is in the system, then it will breeze right through. Again, PA DMV is a revenue generated division of the state government, attempt the classic plates and you may end up with a state trooper at your door and a state revenue audit due to the fact that you only paid XXX amount in sales tax vs the 60's car you are claiming.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
This one is a little more complicated to respond to, however, first off, I do not suggest attempting to get classic tags as you are opening a can of worms that may get your title/registration paperwork rescinded. Taking a title from another state into PA is hit and miss, if the VIN style listed on the current title is not in the PA system you will be required to go through the kit car title process (see above, yes, it really is painless these days). If the VIN style is in the system, then it will breeze right through. Again, PA DMV is a revenue generated division of the state government, attempt the classic plates and you may end up with a state trooper at your door and a state revenue audit due to the fact that you only paid XXX amount in sales tax vs the 60's car you are claiming.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.
Bill, this is definitely helpful and a bit of a relief. Sounds like it's not as critical for us PA folks to find a car with specific registration.... 2 other questions though:
1) If it's a garage built car and not Mfgr completed, should they still have a COO from when they initially took delivery of the kit?
2) Does PA require any documentation on the engine to show where it came from? It looks like I only need the COO, bill of sale and the 426B form (plus enhanced inspection)?

Thanks