LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Neutral     
Exclamation Registering Used Cobra in NJ

One of the many joys of working in this industry is encountering not only the DMV of the state you live and work in but also those of all your customers. And I must admit, NJ is a standout

Situation is we connected a customer of ours looking to sell his car with a customer in NJ looking for one just like it at the price. Car originally purchased in CT and taken through the inspection and registration process to the T in the state of CT for 2008 (I specify year because the law has changed 3 times in 5 years or so).

Anywho...

As is the law in CT (and NY, and many other states) once the car is deemed road worthy by the State Inspection center (1 for the whole state so there's no confusion or trickery between centers, in fact only 2 inspectors in whole state who do the process and inspected this car together) apply a blue seal from the State with sequential VIN number CT-XXXX even though the chassis from the manufacturer is branded with a modern 17 digit VIN and also carried on the MSO.

While I know this process has led to the nightmare on the NJ end, I understand why states do this. It is because not all "kit cars" are graced with a 17 digit VIN AND more importantly it ties the serial numbers of the chassis, engine, and transmission together into 1 number sequence for theft prevention etc. (amazing how the DMV is so focused on preventing theft while most other agencies are promoting it, but I digress).

In 2008 CT law deemed the vehicle would carry the year as the year constructed so now we have a 2008 with a 6 digit VIN and not a modern 17 digit. To make things more scintillating for readers and future owners alike the CT DMV will also, with relative randomness assign a make and model of their liking. So this customer (following every procedure to the law and paying every cent of sales tax and the property tax that followed) was graced with a vehicle titled as a "2008 Shelby Cobra".

Fast-forward to 2012 and new owner buys vehicle and heads to DMV office he does mucho business with for his yacht dealership and they say no way man it's got to have a 17 digit VIN for a 2008 model year or the State of CT has to reissue title as 1965 and the 6 digit VIN es muy bueno.

Now new owner is claiming fraud on the previous owner that he changed the VIN, blah blah blah... screw me for selling the car on a Friday afternoon and having it in his driveway Saturday before his Taylor ham and cheese sandwich.

Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

I registered my car with a VIN that was nowhere 17 digits/characters.

The purchaser is going to have to more than just take this to his "yacht" helper. Have him take pictures of the where the seal was put on by CT. If it is something that he can do a relief sketching of he should do that as well. They know all about different VIN numbers and all. The regional offices are not the place for him to go no matter how often he deals with them.

I did this with my car to prove that is was built in 1994 for the good folks in Trenton. They immediately changed the info on registration and title and such.

Once he does that, then it is off to Trenton with him register the car. Have him bring the title and all documentation.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thanks. He already showed them a photo of the VIN / seal. I will tell him to go to Trenton.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Where to start, ok, first off, if it is a CT state issued VIN (metal tag riveted on with state seal embossed in it), then NJ must accept it as such. If it is a home made VIN and tag, then all bets are off and your customer might require a trip not only to 225 East State Street Trenton, but a personal visit from a NJ Trooper (along with associated paperwork of the same) to verify the issued VIN. If you want, PM me with exactly how the current title reads along with exactly how the VIN tag looks (again, state issued VIN and tag, no problem).

Now, with that said, sometimes it is as easy as going to another NJ MVS clerk and/or location. Some only know the basics and when they come across something that takes extra effort, they shut down (mentally) and just reject it. I have personally run across this a few times in the last 10 years....Asking (nicely) to speak with a supervisor has sometimes worked as I am taken on the back and calls are placed to State Street for guidance. others required a change of location or a trip down to State Street with paperwork from a NJ Trooper (there are specific Troopers for the verification of VIN's) for VIN verification. Again, PM me the exact specifics of the car and title and we can go from there.

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
One of the many joys of working in this industry is encountering not only the DMV of the state you live and work in but also those of all your customers. And I must admit, NJ is a standout

Situation is we connected a customer of ours looking to sell his car with a customer in NJ looking for one just like it at the price. Car originally purchased in CT and taken through the inspection and registration process to the T in the state of CT for 2008 (I specify year because the law has changed 3 times in 5 years or so).

Anywho...

As is the law in CT (and NY, and many other states) once the car is deemed road worthy by the State Inspection center (1 for the whole state so there's no confusion or trickery between centers, in fact only 2 inspectors in whole state who do the process and inspected this car together) apply a blue seal from the State with sequential VIN number CT-XXXX even though the chassis from the manufacturer is branded with a modern 17 digit VIN and also carried on the MSO.

While I know this process has led to the nightmare on the NJ end, I understand why states do this. It is because not all "kit cars" are graced with a 17 digit VIN AND more importantly it ties the serial numbers of the chassis, engine, and transmission together into 1 number sequence for theft prevention etc. (amazing how the DMV is so focused on preventing theft while most other agencies are promoting it, but I digress).

In 2008 CT law deemed the vehicle would carry the year as the year constructed so now we have a 2008 with a 6 digit VIN and not a modern 17 digit. To make things more scintillating for readers and future owners alike the CT DMV will also, with relative randomness assign a make and model of their liking. So this customer (following every procedure to the law and paying every cent of sales tax and the property tax that followed) was graced with a vehicle titled as a "2008 Shelby Cobra".

Fast-forward to 2012 and new owner buys vehicle and heads to DMV office he does mucho business with for his yacht dealership and they say no way man it's got to have a 17 digit VIN for a 2008 model year or the State of CT has to reissue title as 1965 and the 6 digit VIN es muy bueno.

Now new owner is claiming fraud on the previous owner that he changed the VIN, blah blah blah... screw me for selling the car on a Friday afternoon and having it in his driveway Saturday before his Taylor ham and cheese sandwich.

Thoughts?

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thanks again to Bill S. for taking the owner's phone call and assuring him we were on the correct path.

Owner found time to go to another office that knew the real procedure and it was a simple exchange.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:45 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Thanks again to Bill S. for taking the owner's phone call and assuring him we were on the correct path.

Owner found time to go to another office that knew the real procedure and it was a simple exchange.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Bill S.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five
Not Ranked     
Default nj registration

any one have any incite on the best way to register a cobra in NJ its seams to be a nightmare
Old 01-23-2015, 03:03 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich d View Post
any one have any incite on the best way to register a cobra in NJ its seams to be a nightmare

Is it still on MSO (in your name)

Is it purchased used and is titled in another state?

We need to know everything before we can assist you.

Bill S.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I bought a newly built superformance mk ii last year...need patience but eventually got it done...lots of paperwork and time. Frankly I would suggest anyone wanting one in nj to try to find one already titled. I bought my car in march...didn't get it on the road until may. Then spent couple months shaking down the car but now everything is dialed in (as it sits quietly in my garage for the winter . Btw, there is an official spec in the regs that cobras can't pass...ground clearance. I had an inspector in westfield who was pretty supportive and he didn't bring it up. Now that it is titled and inspected, I can just go to my guy locally for renewal inspections , no issue moving forward. Also failed emissions but just needed to lean it out a little. Crazy laws, really...
Old 01-23-2015, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, my registration is 2013 and I have sps003 as Vin
Old 01-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

You have 15" wheels? The ground clearance concern in NJ is scrub line, and 17" and 18" wheels rectify that.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yea, I was thinking about that as a solution but luckily never had to go down that path. Have a slab side and wanted to keep the 15" wire wheels for a more period look...
Old 03-27-2015, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SP0703 Ford 460 CJ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Is it still on MSO (in your name)

Is it purchased used and is titled in another state?

We need to know everything before we can assist you.

Bill S.
I am in the process of purchasing a Superformance MKIII. It is titled as a 2000 with a current FL title. I live in NJ and I am starting to wonder if I am going to have a problem registering the car and getting it through the NJ's emissions inspection. If the car is titled as a 2000 model year car, will it be subject to NJ's emissions regs for a yr 2000 car? The car obviously does not have cats. I have been reading about the NJ Reconstructed and Specially Constructed Vehicle registration process. I have the forms for registration but this emissions thing has me worried. Any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2015, 02:31 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoop View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a Superformance MKIII. It is titled as a 2000 with a current FL title. I live in NJ and I am starting to wonder if I am going to have a problem registering the car and getting it through the NJ's emissions inspection. If the car is titled as a 2000 model year car, will it be subject to NJ's emissions regs for a yr 2000 car? The car obviously does not have cats. I have been reading about the NJ Reconstructed and Specially Constructed Vehicle registration process. I have the forms for registration but this emissions thing has me worried. Any thoughts?
The car will be titled as a 2000 if that is what the Florida title currently reads. NJ and Florida are reciprocal states and accept each others titles at face value.

A private (not state run) inspection station should be able to get the car to pass emissions with some tweaking.

Take it one step at a time, do not attempt to reinvent the wheel, do not attempt to circumnavigate the simple process already in place.

Bill S.

PS: Do not go through the process from scratch, once the car is titled in another state, that assigned VIN follows it forever (unless you are in California, which has a state sponsored revenue process which condones VIN tampering).

Old 03-28-2015, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SP0703 Ford 460 CJ
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Bill.

Coop
Old 03-28-2015, 07:10 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoop View Post
Thanks, Bill.

Coop

Anytime.

You might want to put your town name in, as there are over 100 cobra replica owners here on the forum that live all over NJ. Might just be a few in your general area.

Bill s.