Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     
Default Titling a used Cobra in California

All this current discussion about titling replicas in California got me thinking. What does it take to title and register a well-used Cobra replica in California? Let's assume the car in question has 15,000 miles on it, was constructed five years ago, and has been continuously registered etc in another state as a 1964 Shelby replica. It does not (cannot) meet smog regulations.

The car is sold and the buyer lives in CA.

What are the CA requirements for registration of this car?

grybrd123
Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

Someone I know very "closely" bought just such a car, Virginia registration as a 1965 Ford Cobra, listed one of the South Africa manufacturer's VIN numbers and such, and was in and out of Ca DMV in 20 minutes. Car is now registered as a SPCN, 1st Year Sold as 0000 on the title......and so on. Lady smiled and said you are all set and you will only be required to renew you tags as necessary.

My "friend" was stupid enough to ask, what about smog and such, and she said you are not required to do anything else now or in the future. For several tag cycles, no requirements of any kind.

My "friend" used the Gilroy, Ca DMV.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Titling a used replica in CA

Thanks for the interesting info. But, was it clear that it was not an "original" built in 64, but rather a replica built much later?

And are used replicas from out of state exempt from SB 100 and all that business?

grybrd123
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybrd123 View Post

And are used replicas from out of state exempt from SB 100 and all that business?

grybrd123
Nope, they are not exempt of SB 100.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Titling a used Cobra in CA

Useful info! Next question: will CA just use the existing title description and VIN? Or will they require them to be changed?

I'm just wondering what actually has to be done when someone in CA wants to "import" and register an older out of state Cobra. Of course, this would also apply to any used replica.

grybrd123
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
In one case that I know of Calif. did use the VIN assigned in another state but that is the only one that I am aware of. Otherwise you have to go through the whole SB-1578 process to get a SB-100 number, but even that varies from DMV to DMV. Per the law, Calif. won't register any vehicle as a 1960s Cobra or whatever it is. No special construction vehicle is exempt from the SB-100 process. Just pick your DMV with care as some of them are very good and will help while others don't want to be bothered and refuse to do anything but make it miserable to get through the process. This has been covered in several threads so just do some looking to find the best DMVs to use.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

In other words. No one knows anything for sure right now.

California has chosen to redefine certain terms and we are all just guessing at this point.

If you are considering the sb100 process, you better be damn careful. One mistake and your car could be worthless in this State.

If it were me, i would install the drivetrain myself. If incapable of self installation, then find your own shop (not one the dealer recomends) that has other business besides just installing drivetrains in replica cars. It appears that there can be no hint of a relationship between the dealer and the installer.

And the circus goes on!

Last edited by jhv48; 11-25-2012 at 09:58 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

I'm not on a bandwagon here, just providing information (actually I'm not smart enough to even find the wagon).

The car discussed below as originally registered in Virginia as a 2006 year - 1965 Ford Cobra. The word "Replica' was not on the title but date of manufacture was, as 2006. Model description on the Virginia title was "Manufacturer which I'm not going to list" and "1965 Ford Cobra". No one at the Gilroy DMV was known personally and everyone involved was ready for a long battle and probable failure to transfer the title as is. Then it just happened as stated below. The new CA title looks nothing like the old Virginia title and all mouths were just kept shut on the owners side, out of sheer fear at that time. Did ask about any future inspections (smog) and was told none would be required. Later, holding breath, personal plates were ordered and no problems at all. Been years now, including insurance and no issues. So, this one worked well, but it's starting to sound like one mis-step and you may never find your way back. What a shame we have let our "car guys" state come to this. Vote when you can, as many times as you can!

The original post:

Someone I know very "closely" bought just such a car, Virginia registration as a 1965 Ford Cobra, listed one of the South Africa manufacturer's VIN numbers and such, and was in and out of Ca DMV in 20 minutes. Car is now registered as a SPCN, 1st Year Sold as 0000 on the title......and so on. Lady smiled and said you are all set and you will only be required to renew you tags as necessary.

My "friend" was stupid enough to ask, what about smog and such, and she said you are not required to do anything else now or in the future. For several tag cycles, no requirements of any kind.

Last edited by wrogers55; 04-12-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

if another state issued a VIN, California DMV will use that VIN. California will issue the title as an "SPCN".
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrogers55 View Post

OK unless things have changed in the last few years some of this info dos'nt check out. Yes you can take a title from another state into the DMV and leave with a new registration (and title sent later) for your car. The people working at the DMV won't check to see if the actual car matches what the title says. The new title will have the same year, make and model as the old title. If the year stated is old enough ( i'm not sure how many years it is) then the car is exempt from smog checks. The SPCN , 0000 year and smog exemption are all part of the SB 100 process so that you can accurately title a hand built car, this is not something that happens automatically at any DMV, the first step is to get the 1 out of only 500 numbers that are available each year (not that hard to do these days) and then work through the rest of the process, I sure that all this didn't happened in 20 minutes on the first trip in.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybrd123 View Post
All this current discussion about titling replicas in California got me thinking. What does it take to title and register a well-used Cobra replica in California? Let's assume the car in question has 15,000 miles on it, was constructed five years ago, and has been continuously registered etc in another state as a 1964 Shelby replica. It does not (cannot) meet smog regulations.

The car is sold and the buyer lives in CA.

What are the CA requirements for registration of this car?

grybrd123
Useing the information that you stated, this is what will probably happen, you have a title that says 1964 Shelby Replica, you will leave the CA DMV with a registration that reads, Year 1964, make Shelby replica, model (i don't know maybe 2 door), because the year is 1964 it is exempt from smog, Is this really what the car is? no, so you run the risk of driving a car with a fraudulant title.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

grybrd123, you have a PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

WOW, lots of misguided information on this dated thread.......

The following web page guides you to the safe (and only legal way in California's eyes) way to register and title your car.

Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles

Older titled kit cars are a gray area, it depends on whether or not the VIN used is accepted in their system. If the VIN is manufacturer oriented (ERA, SPF, Contemporary) then they should already be in the system as a valid item. If they are state issued, you have a 50/50 chance of California accepting them (mention VIN tampering to the BAR if they want to change it and watch their reaction ). If they are a homemade or "borrowed" VIN for another vehicle, expect the car and paperwork to be impounded (CA BAR are not stupid) and every part on the car scrutinized.

Where things get interesting is SB811, not sure if this was ever approved or not, but I do know that Sacramento has referenced it in the past.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

So, now tell me how this car would be handled at the calif. DMV:

SPF originally registered and sb100 in calif.
relocated to Arizona and registered there as a 1965 cobra.

Question: how would calif treat the Arizona registration and the previous calif. sb100 if the car is sold and brought back to calif.

Would calif. honor the sb100 previously issued to the car or would the return to calif. necessitate having to re do the sb100 and vin number?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

I thought the SB100 was good for the life of car, does this hold true even if the vehicle is reg in Cali, moves out, then comes back. In this case there should be a Cali record of the vehicle's vin number from the first registration in Cali
Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Sounds like the only safe way to have a car reg and re-reg in calf, is to buy a Calf car that is already reg in the State. Yes?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Depends on how much you want to let it bother you. California is not going to register a car as a 196? unless it was built then. No matter what laws are in another state. Sure you might get by with it for a while if some DMV clerk misses it. But at some time it will be cought and do you want to have your car taken if it is not registered correctly.

If you register a replica in California as anything other than what it is, you are lying to the DMV.

Note:
You do not have to have an SB100 is California. All you have to do is put the smog on it that should have been on it the year it was built.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

OK, if the car you buy is already reg. in Calf as what ever, you will always be able to renew the reg. Yes?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let me ask that another way, if I buy a car that is already reg. in calf, will I have a problem having it put into my name. Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Should not have a problem at all as long as it is registered as a SPCN. If it is registered as as 1965 Cobra and it is not then that is an issue.

Years ago people were registering them thru a backdoor company of sorts and DMV caught on to it. Some of them might still be out there but the DMV keep a close eye on them.