LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBomber90 View Post
Read this thread over and take a deep breath...

NYS Registration Process - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

HIH,

Pat
Hey Pat,
If I only knew now what I didn't know then I read that thread on Factory Five's forum. I'm working with Mark Engel... aaarrgghh! Oh well, I think I got everything Mark E. has asked for except an headlight SAE number. I checked a Sylvania replacement headlight at Pep Boys and the headlight on my '66, neither had one. So now I'm just waiting to hear back. I still haven't found a 4-way flasher harness yet though.

Rick, I agree with everything you said about getting some legislation on this matter. The problem is that unless there's something in it for the legislator, we've got a snowball's chance in hell. I'm on the verge of going on a rant, I think I'll just turn on the Military Channel and watch things blow up
Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C,351W
Not Ranked     

It will be registered as a 2012 custom. The guy in Albany is not really that bad. In fact if you play the game his way Tom is a lot of help.

Remember that there are 2 different process happening hear. 1st you have to provide Albany with a lot of paperwork. Get them the numbers they require for their paperwork. They will then want some detailed pictures of the car that show things like reverse lights or light, wipers, sun visors, ect. the things that make it look like all other road legal cars. With that info they will decide on weather or not to send you the paperwork for the actual inspection. Play nice and the first part is a breeze.

The inspection is another ball game. My experience is the inspectors are their to check salvage title cars out not custom cars. If your car has a bunch of doner car parts the inspection might be a little different but a brand new SPF, they dont want to mess with it.

They will refer back to the Albany paperwork, ask some questions, give the car a minor lookover and take care of the paperwork. I have been to annual NYS inspections in new vehicles that were more intrusive.

If Tom Noonon is still the Albany contact he is a very nice guy. He has rules he has to follow though. Remember he is the paperwork guy though. He will only ever see your car in pictures you choose to send him.

Aaron
Old 05-26-2012, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aaron,
Yeah, it's the price we pay for living in NY. I guess it's unfortunate to be clumped into the same group as salvaged, homemade and rebodied cars.

Basque 1, did you get my PM?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     

Mike,

PM me if you need more help. I can talk you through the finer points, I have helped quite a few Cobra guys out! The process is very simple, just have to follow their rules. Being registered as a 2012 Custom is no big deal (no emissions, just safely).

Pat
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/80663-my-cobra-build.html

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
This is why we need to lobby for passage of New York A.B. 2073. The bill would streamline and simplify registration of specialty cars. In this case Mglads car would register as a "1965 Cobra Replica" and be subject to such regulations as existed in 1965.....when back-up lamps were an option and only a PCV system was required for emmissions compliance.

I have sent my assembly representative and my state senator emails outlining the benefits to this bill for both the state and the public as well as the positive effect it would have on my business. Niether has bothered to respond, not so much as a "screw you, go away" reply.

This type of legislation has been passed in numerous states and New York needs to "get with the program". See SEMA Action Network (SAN) AA_2011NY1 for more information. We need to come together to lobby and fight for this bill. Many states that have passed this legislation have provided a process to revise the titles and registration of existing replica/specialty cars allowing the owners to ammend the tiltle from "spec con" or "home made" to the vehicle the car represents. This adds value and streamlines resale of the car.

As owners and clubs we need to come together and fight for this bill.
Please don't try to turn NY into a Massachusetts type program. NYS system is not as bad as Massachusetts' with SEMA's "help".

Pat
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80663

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBomber90 View Post
Please don't try to turn NY into a Massachusetts type program. NYS system is not as bad as Massachusetts' with SEMA's "help".

Pat
I have a Superformance customer n Mass. who flew through the process this April. He has a Ford crate engine. Took submiting the paperwork, one trip to inspection and he is driving!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have a Superformance customer n Mass. who flew through the process this April. He has a Ford crate engine. Took submiting the paperwork, one trip to inspection and he is driving!
That's because the law changed May 1st
Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I called the office that schedules the Tech Inspections. My paperwork is being logged in and I should get a letter from them shortly. Looks like beginning of July before I can get it in.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Quote:
This is why we need to lobby for passage of New York A.B. 2073. The bill would streamline and simplify registration of specialty cars. In this case Mglads car would register as a "1965 Cobra Replica" and be subject to such regulations as existed in 1965.....when back-up lamps were an option and only a PCV system was required for emmissions compliance.

I have sent my assembly representative and my state senator emails outlining the benefits to this bill for both the state and the public as well as the positive effect it would have on my business. Niether has bothered to respond, not so much as a "screw you, go away" reply.

This type of legislation has been passed in numerous states and New York needs to "get with the program". See SEMA Action Network (SAN) AA_2011NY1 for more information. We need to come together to lobby and fight for this bill. Many states that have passed this legislation have provided a process to revise the titles and registration of existing replica/specialty cars allowing the owners to ammend the tiltle from "spec con" or "home made" to the vehicle the car represents. This adds value and streamlines resale of the car.

As owners and clubs we need to come together and fight for this bill.
Boy reading this thread I couldn't agree more with Rick. I'm not familiar with your NY bill, but if you can get one state legislator with gearhead interest it sure increases your chances of a SEMA bill passing. In WA our SEMA bill sponsor was just such a guy and with Steve McDonald's help at SEMA we steamrolled the bill through. Having a 1960's title makes resale value a lot higher and no headaches with emissions or inspections. I can't believe NY has such Mickey Mouse nonsense!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftDB4 View Post
I can't believe NY has such Mickey Mouse nonsense!
You obviously have never lived in NY!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The problem is that Superformance Cobras are grouped together with salvaged, homemade and rebodied cars. I can see where they, especially homemade cars need to come under scrutiny. Two guys at the Tech Inspection Office know that Superformance Cobras don't need go through the bull$hit and push the paperwork through. I got the "other" guy It would be cool to be able to title the car as a 1965 427 Cobra S/C though. Finding a car guy legislator, that would be the key.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlad View Post
It would be cool to be able to title the car as a 1965 427 Cobra S/C though.
Even though no 427S/C was ever sold in 1965?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
I don't know when the 427 S/C was actually first sold. I've seen that the first S/C was built in April, 1965. I've never seen any replica 427 S/C called other than a 1965. I am by no means an AC Cobra historian, I'm just trying to say why I said 1965. All I've ever seen was that the 427 S/C was produced from '65-'67. Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, just that this is the info that I got. I guess seeing what the first 427 S/C was titled as, a '65 or a '66 would interesting.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
I was just looking at your post in the Originality Forum on production figures. I see there is a break out in the numbers between a street car 427 and a Semi-Competition. Pardon my ignorance, but could you clear this up for me? I mostly see S/C to stand for Street-Competition. Occasionally do I see it being referred to as Semi-Competition. I looked on csxinfo.net for an answer to no avail. I did see though, the first S/C sold, CSX3030 was shipped in January, 1966.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlad View Post
I don't know when the 427 S/C was actually first sold. I've seen that the first S/C was built in April, 1965. I've never seen any replica 427 S/C called other than a 1965. I guess seeing what the first 427 S/C was titled as, a '65 or a '66 would interesting.
Mine is titled as a 1966 Replica.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update: I got past the paperwork in Albany and am now awaiting an appointment at the Field Inspection station in Buffalo. I called on May 29th and the office said my paperwork is being logged in (at the appointment office.) Looks like beginning of July for an appointment. After 2 weeks of waiting for a letter from them, I called. The office said the Buffalo station is booked and they are no longer taking new appointments! What! No longer taking appointments? What does that mean? This doesn't sound right.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First the good news, as long as you have clear paperwork on your engine and transmission, the inspection is a breeze.

I would call Tom or Mark at Tech Services and see if they can help you out with this mix up. I just went through Field Inspection in Colonie and I got my appointment very quickly. Gotta be a screw up, the salavage busniess is way down.

Keep at it, so worth it in the end!

Pat

Old 06-18-2012, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Pat,
I have a friend of a friend that knows the supervisor at the Buffalo field inspection station. He said appointments should be opening soon and that my inspection should go smoothly. All I can really do is wait. My next battle is at the DMV. When I went there initially, I wanted to register it as Historic so I can put on a '65 Vintage plate, there is no front plate. The supervisor there was giving me a hard time about it. I know it can be done, a friend's brother-in-law has a Backdraft with the '65 plate and he registered his at the same DMV office. It seems like a requirement to work at the DMV is being skilled in confrontation.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep me informed about the process of getting historic plates, it would be worth trip to Buffalo to pull that off!

Your VIN number will be 7 digits: NY7XXXX, and your registration will read 2012 Custom Convertible.

I run a single plate, haven't had any trouble. Yet!

Hang in there!

Pat

Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Pat,
Mines Malachite Green also! Click on the camera icon underneath my name (MGlad) As far as the Historic registration goes, check out the requirements on the DMV website. It specifically says a car doesn't have to be 25 years old if it has historic, classic or exhibit value: NYS DMV - Custom Plates - FAQs