LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Massachusetts Registration/Inspection

Hey All,

First time on this forum, great site...lots of beautiful cars.
Anyways, my dad is going to be taking ownership of a 63 replica in the coming weeks, so I have a few questions about registration/inspection.
The car is going to be titled and have it's VIN done in Ohio, and it's never been registered before in any state, it's a new car.
While investingating what we're going to need to do, I found out about the new MA inspection regulations and I almost threw up, I'm sure you're all familiar:

Session Laws: CHAPTER 311 of the Acts of 2010

SECTION 3:

"Specially constructed vehicles and replica vehicles, as so defined, registered after April 30, 2012 shall be subject to emission control requirements based on the model year and configuration of the engine installed in the specially constructed or replica vehicle."

SEMA site: http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_MA.pdf

Exemptions:

"5. Specially constructed and replica vehicles until April 30, 2012, at which time they will be tested based
on the model year of the engine installed"

This essentially means that because my dad hadn't taken ownership and registered the car prior to April 30th, there was no way he could apply for an emissions exemption, and there was no way he'd be able to ever register it. I was completely bummed, I couldn't believe this was happening...this is my dad's dream car, and it would never hit the road.
I did some digging, called the engine builder, and found out that the 302 that was installed in the car is from 85-95, meaning it's pre 96 and therefore isn't OBDII. This made me feel better...since anything prior to 98 in MA doesn't require emissions testing. Going by the above regulations, this means that my dad's car is going to be emissions tested based on the model year of the engine installed, and, since this engine is a pre 1998 engine...it won't have emissions testing done. Am I correct in my assumption and understanding of the new law?

If so, I have two questions for anyone "in the know", or anyone that has experience with the same, so that we can get our ducks in a row before my dad takes ownership of the car:

1) Once the title transfer has been done, and we are able to get the plates etc..., what needs to be done via the RMV or MAC to get this information, regarding the model year of the engine, associated with our VIN so that when we go for inspection, the station knows that emissions testing isn't required?

2) When we go for inspection, what is this going to entail, basic safety check etc...? Anything else we should be aware of or prepared for?

Any other help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much, -Dave
Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Call your local MAC the guys are extremely helpful....I think you will ultimately get registered and on the road but be prepared for a lot of frustrating work. As the new regs are not finished yet and you just missed oout on the April 2012 "free emissions pass" things ae in a state of flux...this is the path I took prior to April 2012

1) go to registry fill out form pay $50.00
2) go to salvage center for state police inspection and get VIN assigned...you will need paperwork for motor, trans car, etc...they check to see if any stolen parts...I believe even if you have a VIN from another state this still needs to be done
3) once you have aMassachusetts VIN back to the registry for a title and registration...in the pre April 2012 world the fields had to be specifically spelled out or the emissions except would not be tagged right
4) go to your service station for inspection...you will get rejected
5) on to the MAC center and they do a vehicle inspection emissions safety etc...then they code the VIN in the registry system for exemption
6) back to your service station for your inspection sticker

Good luck....if you could back out of the purchase I would suggest it...and by a local Mass car with the lifetime emissions exemption...

Ultimately I think you will get on the road just be prepared for a lengthy extremely frustrating process ....with folks at the registry that don't understand it themselves....I would stop in at your local MAC center and bring what ever info you got and listen to what they say they were the most helpful

kevin
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

However it turns out, (hopefully good) congratulations on your dad's winning the Allen Grant LCS show car. Awesome looking ride.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Kevin,

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.
Yeah, that's what I was going to plan on doing, calling the MAC and figuring it out.
If you can tell me, say it's a 90' 302 block...what emissions equipment is required on the car? I know it won't go through emissions testing, it's not required, but what needs to be on the car?

Yeah, i agree...but we can't back out, my dad actually won the car, so...going to do everything we can.

Thanks again, -Dave
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hahaha, thank you, I knew someone would figure that out. We're all pretty damn excited...he's wanted a cobra replica for 30 plus years... Hopefully, we can get the registration/inspection sorted out and get it on the road this summer.

Thanks again, -Dave
Old 07-04-2012, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave

I can't help you on what's needed for your set up....your in really good shape since the car was free!...start with the MAC they will set you on the right path..My understanding for emissions is it needs to have the same set up that was in the vehicle that the block came from right down to the drivetrain...I.e. if the engine was mated to an automatic trans it still needs to be in that configuration...the rear end ratios must be the same etc..the big issue is you will have to pay sales tax equal to te value of the car prior to figuring out if you can get it on the road!..Start at the MAC..take a deep breath and be prepared for a lot of roadblocks..if you need emissions parts Fortes in Framingham can help...Mike Forte is a really nice guy and knowledgeble...

Good luck and I hope to meet you on a fall ride

Kevin

Last edited by kgs365; 07-04-2012 at 10:32 AM..
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Kevin,

Hahaha, true. Yeah, exactly what I was originally thinking, need to pay the tax to even find out if we can get it on the road, but I think it's worth it! I'm praying it's possible...keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the info...really appreciate it.

Yeah, me too, take care, -Dave
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow...I just looked at the car.....you need to get that on the road!....beautiful car
Old 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

You say it is going to be tilted and registered in Ohio first, how will it be papered in that state?
If ohio allows it to be titled as a 63 then Ma. will consider it as a 63 or the year on the ohio paperwork upon transfer.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Not in mass

Not in Massachusetts. Need to get a mass vin assigned...and go through the Mac process....they don't make it easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mln385 View Post
You say it is going to be tilted and registered in Ohio first, how will it be papered in that state?
If ohio allows it to be titled as a 63 then Ma. will consider it as a 63 or the year on the ohio paperwork upon transfer.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, I know...the car is gorgeous, I believe that there has to be a way to get everything sorted out, there just has to be.
mln385, not sure how it's going to be titled...I'll have my dad find out though, he's in contact with the guy from LCS taking care of everything. But like Kevin is saying...I think it'll be re-titled anyways.

Thanks again guys, -Dave
Old 10-16-2013, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave,

Did you ever get the car? How did they handle the emissions?

Please advise.

Steve
Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh yeah, well over a year ago now... I had to go through the MA. DEP and use what at the time was a brand new "clunker" process, for kit cars, replica's etc... I think I was only the 2nd person to do it, so it was quite a learning exprience. For the process I used a 73 LeMans 350 as the "clunker" car to junk, so now when my dads car is inspected, it's inspected as a 1973 model vehicle, so, it's emissions exempt.

Read this post from "ffcars", I outlined the clunker process I used to get get emissions exempt by the DEP:

MA titling/reg on out-of-state car - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

Thanks, -Dave