• 1 Post By mikyFIA

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2015, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI 331 Shelby Engine with Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Epic Saga of Bureaucracy in NM

OK, I am not asking for any advice or help, just trying to contribute to the knowledge of the group. I am almost done titling and registering my Shelby American 50th Anniversary FIA Cobra CSX7972 in New Mexico.

I picked up the finished car last month, and received the MSO and invoices from my dealer (DenBeste) shortly thereafter. My first trip to the MVD was supposed to be short and easy, as they told me all I needed on an MSO car is the invoices, MSO, and proof of insurance. I had all that, but then they could not fill in the forms on the computer with that info, and the lady said it had been "red flagged", since it was a Cobra.

So, they then said I needed to go to the State Police HQ, shared by the FBI, to have a "level III" VIN inspection (the highest and most stringent there is in the state) done. So I did, two officers poured over the car with a fine toothed comb, looking at all parts, numbers, etc. I got the signed affidavit from them declaring the car a 2014 Shelby American Inc. Component Vehicle 2 door with VIN CSX7972. I asked why all the scrutiny for this little car. They said title fraud and stolen parts are rampant on Cobras, people trying to register them as vintage cars, etc. and they are on the database as a "red flag" vehicle.

So back to MVD, thinking all was OK, but no, two more long forms to fill out stating equipment, manufacture type, company, etc. and I had to go to a certified scale to have it weighed and get a weight certificate. So now finally done, but what a mess this turned out to be.

I have been told that the dealer should have done all this paper and leg work for me. But I had never had an out of state dealer selling an out of state car ever do anything for me, maybe others have had better dealers? If so, I would like to know of ones that will come to your state and do all this, I am worn out.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Basically the dealer CANNOT do this for you. Most states require the paperwork to be done by the purchaser as a "component" chassis is not a "complete vehicle" and therefor not done as per a normal, certified car.

As it not legal via federal regulations for a dealer that sells the chassis to also sell the powertrain and do the completion, the dealer cannot do the paperwork that your DMV requires. A dealer doing so violates the federal laws that provide the "loophole" for sale of a non-conforming chassis as an "incomplete vehicle" and allow non-compliance with federal emissions regulations. If a dealer does the build out and sells a "complete, turn-key" unit he has now built a "motor vehicle" under federal law and therefor must now comply with all FMVSS and EPA standards.....and thus you can't buy a "Cobra".

Ask some people who have purchased a "turn-key" "Cobra" and run afoul of the California authorities because ONE entity sold the chassis, powertrain and did the install.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

What you had to do sounds quite typical for most states. I think your frustration stems from the fact that someone didn't give you correct information initially.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
What you had to do sounds quite typical for most states. I think your frustration stems from the fact that someone didn't give you correct information initially.
A little time researching your state's reg's will save a lot of time and heartache later on. The SEMASAN state by state title/reg toolbox has the answers.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks all, that "dealer" (one I didn't use) that said I got screwed since he would done all this for me must have been all hot air, and another reason I didn't use him.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyFIA View Post
Thanks all, that "dealer" (one I didn't use) that said I got screwed since he would done all this for me must have been all hot air, and another reason I didn't use him.
You said it, not me............................

Old 03-17-2015, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
The SEMASAN state by state title/reg toolbox has the answers.

What is that? Link?
Old 03-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here: SEMA Action Network (SAN) TAG_TITLE_TOOLBOX

Old 03-24-2015, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The final results:
OK, so I finally completed all the items needed to title and register it yesterday. I was chatting up the lady at MVD while she was filling out the boxes, telling her about how neat the car was, the history of the originals, etc. She as also impressed by how much excise tax money New Mexico would be getting for this. The title says:
VIN: CSX7972
Year: 1964
Make: Shelby
Model: CSX 7000 Series
Body: 2 door roadster

I don't think I can get any better than that.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Congrats!

BTW, how much did it weigh?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery