Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sailfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Florida initial registration woes

I don't have the VIN number for the engine in my Cobra kit and the friendly folks at the Florida DMV say that is a problem.

I bought the partially finished kit with receipts for the engine, trans and rear but none have VIN numbers. I don't know whether I should ask the DMV folks what my options are or get a VIN from a junkyard.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Get it on a lift and inspect those units for any and all numbers. Then post what you have found here and make , model of each unit. Some on here are familiar with the usual number sequence of the more popular eng , trannys, and diffs.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Try another DMV. I titled and registered my kit with just the MSO and the receipt from the manufacturer. I had to pay DMV the tax on the kit price. Never asked me about any engine numbers, other components, if it was running or even completed. I'm in Pinellas County. They registered it as a 1965. From what I understand, some offices handle it differently than others. Also I was told that the DMV doesn't like the word kit, but will accept replica more easily.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

jr,

What does the engine receipt show? Does it have any numbers that identify casting numbers or stamped numbers on the engine? If so, that and the price paid should be all that's required by the DMV. Not sure why they're asking for an engine VIN (no such thing), unless the receipt indicates the engine was removed from a vehicle and they want to confirm the engine didn't come from a stolen vehicle.

It sounds like you've gone directly to the DMV to get the initial title inspection, which is the same mistake I made. The DMV folks are pretty much clueless about home-built vehicles.

You may be better off contacting your local sheriff's office. They will send a PSA representative to inspect the vehicle and major component parts (body, chassis, engine & trans) to see that you have proper receipts for all four. They will sign off on the form if everything is good and then you can take it to the DMV to apply for the title.

Btw, if you have further issues, do yourself a favor and call the main DMV office in Tallahassee and speak to someone there. That's what I ended up doing and the woman I spoke to understood the problem and straightened it out for me with the local DMV folks.

Last edited by Mike I; 01-17-2019 at 04:52 AM..
Old 01-17-2019, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

I was told by my local DMV that I had to contact the Regional DMV to get the car titled.

In my case it is DMV Regional VIII office. 323 10th Ave. West Suite 102, Palmetto, FL.
941.723.4551. This office handles SW Florida.

Here's a list of the other regional offices:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/dealerser...al_offices.pdf
Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I visited the Region 3 office when I was going through the title process on my car, what a bunch of fools.

I was expecting them to crawl over my car looking for safety issues, checking everything for function (lights, wipers, etc.). Instead, they were only concerned about seeing how much I paid for the major component parts for tax purposes. Didn't check one darn thing to see if it worked and was safe for the road.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a receipt for the trans, which I'd bought it from a guy who worked out of his garage and I paid him cash. Never asked for a receipt. Problem #1

The guy in charge tells me if I can't produce a receipt, I'd have to replace the trans with one I had a receipt for, nothing else he could do. He then tells me the FL issued MSO with matching VIN number to the VIN plate on the body means nothing and he wants to issue a new VIN with a separate sticker. Problem #2

I went home and called Tallahassee, spoke to a woman who said she'd contact the regional office and straighten out the VIN issue. Then she said, if I can't produce a receipt for the trans, I'd just need to sign an affidavit that I bought it in good faith and how much I paid for it. That's it. Fortunately the guy I bought the trans from was still in business (several years later) and remembered me and said he'd mail a receipt to me.

After I received the receipt, I called the guy at the regional office and expected I'd have to show it to him. He just told me over the phone to go to my local office and tell them he said I was good to go. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Mike I; 01-17-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Curious... If I moved to Florida with my legally titled Superformance (1965 title), would I get grief titling it?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

kayakjack, I moved from Illinois to Florida about 5 years ago. I took my Illinois registration and title to the local DMV. They physically inspected my Superformance to validate the VIN and that was it. Quick, smooth and easy. Couldn't ask for more. The whole process took approx. 1/2 hour.
kayakjack likes this.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Thank you!!!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agree it should not be a problem jack. I bought a GT40 last year from out of state that was titled as '65 Ford, was no problem at all transferring title in FL. Easy peasy.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

Yeah if it's already titled elsewhere it is pretty smooth sailing.

Generally speaking Florida is a fairly easy state to get a Cobra replica titled.

There are, however, pockets of stupidity within the DMV which need to be expertly managed.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you have been invaded by the California lib Dmv
Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnardi View Post
I don't have the VIN number for the engine in my Cobra kit and the friendly folks at the Florida DMV say that is a problem.

I bought the partially finished kit with receipts for the engine, trans and rear but none have VIN numbers. I don't know whether I should ask the DMV folks what my options are or get a VIN from a junkyard.

Any suggestions?
What year is your engine? It's worth noting Ford didn't start stamping engines with VINs until the mid to late '60s.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #816, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

I'm trying like hell to title mine... And since I built the engine myself and put an aftermarket transmission in it Florida will no longer register it as a replica. I have to register it as a kit car... Absolute B.S. but it is what it is... Looks like they want the $40 inspection fee (whatever that entails as they won't tell me) and I have to pay to get it weighed at the landfill on scales. Volusia, Columbia, Orange... All the same answer, so if anyone has just registered theirs and had a different outcome, please let me know.