• 1 Post By Cashburn

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2019, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1604, VMS 427
Not Ranked     
Default Registration of a BDR in NJ UGH!!! HELP

So I went to look at a BDR today in PA.Private owner. I live in NJ. Car was built in 2017.Before I pull the trigger I started to do a little research on transferring the title so I called Jonathan Motor Cars (BDR Dealer)located in Edgewater Park NJ.They told me there is no way for me to transfer the plates to NJ. It is registered as a 1965 SP CONSTR VID # 17 digits. They told be a flag will go up and NJ DMV will deny the transfer of title.They also told be that NH and CA. have the same regulations.They said the only reason they can do it is because they are a license dealer.How to I go about this??????

PS. I do own a 2nd home in PA. I was thinking about going that way but still have my license in NJ.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Yikes....

That doesn't sound very good. I have had some dealings with Jonathan Motors when doing my I started my vehicle search. Both of the sons were pretty nice. Maybe you could work out something though them, VMS or a car dealer in NJ. Other than that, I don't know.

Fred
Old 12-23-2019, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I asked them if they could and they said they could not help out as it was already a titled car.They could only do there cars that they sell.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I really like the BDR cars but do not know how I am going to buy one unless I buy it new from the dealer or buy one that is already titled in NJ.That really limits me.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:44 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsjr View Post
So I went to look at a BDR today in PA.Private owner. I live in NJ. Car was built in 2017.Before I pull the trigger I started to do a little research on transferring the title so I called Jonathan Motor Cars (BDR Dealer)located in Edgewater Park NJ.They told me there is no way for me to transfer the plates to NJ. It is registered as a 1965 SP CONSTR VID # 17 digits. They told be a flag will go up and NJ DMV will deny the transfer of title.They also told be that NH and CA. have the same regulations.They said the only reason they can do it is because they are a license dealer.How to I go about this??????

PS. I do own a 2nd home in PA. I was thinking about going that way but still have my license in NJ.
The PA Special Construction cars can be transferred to NJ, as they are issued a PA state issued VIN. Where it gets tricky is when new owners attempt to title the car as a "vintage" whatever. In that case, you are correct, NJ will flag it immediately, as they know it is not a "vintage vehicle". So, expect to either go through the NJ title process to get it registered correctly, or walk away and find something else. Forget about getting a "vintage 60's" title or QQ plates with this one.

On another note, there is a nice ERA for sale in Morristown that is already titled in NJ, making the transition as simple as any other in state title transfer. It's on Cobra Country and I'm surprised it has not been sold as of this morning.......Owner is here on CC, and a stand up guy who I would trust with my life.......

Bill

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-24-2019, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
The PA Special Construction cars can be transferred to NJ, as they are issued a PA state issued VIN. Where it gets tricky is when new owners attempt to title the car as a "vintage" whatever. In that case, you are correct, NJ will flag it immediately, as they know it is not a "vintage vehicle". So, expect to either go through the NJ title process to get it registered correctly, or walk away and find something else. Forget about getting a "vintage 60's" title or QQ plates with this one.

On another note, there is a nice ERA for sale in Morristown that is already titled in NJ, making the transition as simple as any other in state title transfer. It's on Cobra Country and I'm surprised it has not been sold as of this morning.......Owner is here on CC, and a stand up guy who I would trust with my life.......

Bill
Bill,
Thanks for clearing it up.
I looked on Cobra Country. I assume the cobra you are talking about is the red ERA in Midland Park
Old 12-24-2019, 06:05 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsjr View Post
Bill,
Thanks for clearing it up.
I looked on Cobra Country. I assume the cobra you are talking about is the red ERA in Midland Park
Yes, pictures do not do it justice

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-24-2019, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's interesting. I don't know what procedure was followed but my car was built in Florida and I purchased it from a fellow in NJ. I don't know what the old title and reg said. His son has a salvage company and used car dealership. He took care of the paper transfer as it went through his dealership. The title is registered as a 65 Replica and I have a letter stating it is exempt from inspection.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
That's interesting. I don't know what procedure was followed but my car was built in Florida and I purchased it from a fellow in NJ. I don't know what the old title and reg said. His son has a salvage company and used car dealership. He took care of the paper transfer as it went through his dealership. The title is registered as a 65 Replica and I have a letter stating it is exempt from inspection.
Yes but is it a Backdraft car?
Old 12-24-2019, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes. Built in 2014. I can see issues with FFR's as they are a kit but the factory built cars should be another thing.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Any Backdraft new or used can go through the state inspection process and be legally titled in NJ. You do not have to be a dealer to do this and no one has any form of exclusivity there. The exception would be if it has a Coyote 5.0 or other late model style engine. Unfortunately the state of NJ has not embraced the benefits of more modern and efficient engines.

If you read up on the process it is all available. I recommend using the Asbury park inspection station vs. the others.

We offer this service to our customers for a fee. It does involve a bit of work but we have done it dozens of times.
FredG likes this.

Last edited by Cashburn; 12-24-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Old 12-24-2019, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Any Backdraft new or used can go through the state inspection process and be legally titled in NJ. You do not have to be a dealer to do this and no one has any form of exclusivity there. The exception would be if it has a Coyote 5.0 or other late model style engine. Unfortunately the state of NJ has not embraced the benefits of more modern and efficient engines.

If you read up on the process it is all available. I recommend using the Asbury park inspection station vs. the others.

We offer this service to our customers for a fee. It does involve a bit of work but we have done it dozens of times.
Cashburn,
So I was considering a 2017 427 engine I was looking at. I assume that is a later engine? Would work or not ? So if I get the title transferred I would need to every 2 years go to a DMV inspection? Than what, I assume go and fail than go to a local inspection station to get passed?
Old 12-27-2019, 08:38 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

The 427 engines are acceptable. You must have a letter from the engine builder stating what it is based on. You will go through state inspection and if everything is done right they will provide you with an exemption letter that you present to the local inspection station when you go for your test.

If the car is registered in PA there will another headache here... PA does not assign a model year to the replicas, they leave it blank. It can cause all types of problems with other states.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
The 427 engines are acceptable. You must have a letter from the engine builder stating what it is based on. You will go through state inspection and if everything is done right they will provide you with an exemption letter that you present to the local inspection station when you go for your test.

If the car is registered in PA there will another headache here... PA does not assign a model year to the replicas, they leave it blank. It can cause all types of problems with other states.
Casburn.
A few questions. I saw the title for the BDR.Where it says year it says 1965.So it looks like they assigned a model year. Where it says MAKE OF YEAR it says SP CONSTR.

So every 2 years I just go to my local inspection station instead of my state inspection and show them that exception letter? I am sorry but I am a little confused.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII, 427/SR
Not Ranked     

@riggsjr, how did you ever make out with your purchase and NJ registration? Currently looking at a new purchase and trying to gather as much info as I can up-front.

Thanks!

Last edited by robomoto92; 08-06-2020 at 07:13 AM..