24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-23-2019, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 427 stacked EFI
Not Ranked     
Smile New Backdraft registering in MA

Hello all,
I just ordered my new cobra over the weekend. I was wondering if anyone has tried to register a backdraft in Ma. Because its not a kit I was hoping the process would be easier. Thanks
Old 12-23-2019, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Hi. If you ordered a new car from a known Backdraft dealer like VMS in Conn. They would take care of the initial stuff for you. Before I stumbled on a great deal I was going to order a new one from Jay at VMS. He told me he would have to make a appointment with NJDMV, trailer the car down and do whatever had to be done to inspect, title and register the car. I was told the same thing from another Backdraft dealer here in NJ. Jonathan Motors. There are a few threads on here about what a nightmare titling and registration can be if you aren't familiar with it. Good luck.

Last edited by FredG; 12-23-2019 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: text
Old 12-30-2019, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ma was not easy. Maybe things have changed in the past 5 years but I doubt it. Dot your "I's" and cross your "T's". There was a CSX 4000 owner in here that had a nightmare with them. Of course they grabbed the sale tax $$$ right away. Problem was with the state inspection system. They suck and thats being nice. Good luck with your endeavor .

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 01-04-2020, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

Agree with posts...your dealer should be helping you.

Each state can be different. We've had no problem registering Backdrafts for our customers as 65s in Michigan. But again I know the right coast is different.

As an alternative, and that is to register in Montana under an LLC. Very common process. Simply, an LLC is setup, your Cobra is registered in the LLC, Montana law is applied, insurance is sourced in Montana.

This is all managed for you through Deer Creek Corporate Services https://www.mtvehicles.com/

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Jeff@nostalgicmotoring.com | 586.489.5990

Last edited by jeffgrice; 01-04-2020 at 05:22 AM..
Old 01-04-2020, 04:58 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgrice View Post
Agree with posts...your dealer should be helping you.

Each state can be different. We've had no problem registering Backdrafts for our customers as 65s in Michigan. But again I know the right coast is different.

As an alternative, and that is to register in Montana under an LLC. Very common process. Simply, an LLC is setup, your Cobra is registered in the LLC, Montana law is such that tax is not applied, insurance is sourced in Montana.

This is a very EASY process and saves lots of money; tax, you will have a one-time registration due the year of the Cobra and insurance is less expensive. I personally have used this service and having many friends throughout NA who have used this service.

This is all managed for you through Deer Creek Corporate Services https://www.mtvehicles.com/

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Jeff@nostalgicmotoring.com | 586.489.5990
Ask the people in Georgia that have be caught with Montana plates in GA. and a GA. driver's license about the "tax fraud" charges and other fines/penalties that have been charged with. Sure there are more new Ferrari's registered in Montana than California (so I am told) but try to transfer the title to one in New York. The other states are onto this game and they want their tax money. Remember tax is to the state like heroin to an addict; they will do ANYTHING to get it!

https://jalopnik.com/georgia-is-crac...ing-1830035589

https://www.ajc.com/news/luxury-car-...DX8EuvYzgNo6J/

And if you have an accident your insurance company may deny the claim based on fraud; the car was not domiciled in the state the accident took place, i.e. the "garaging location" was an address in Montana when in fact the car had never physically been in Montana. We had a customer who looked at a Shelby in California that had Montana reg/title. He took copies of the MT. paperwork to a friend at the New York DMV who told him "run, don't walk from this because we will come after you!"

Some of the older members here will remember "Morgester" who turned out to be the California Attorney General who located many people who had fraudulently registered cars in CA with out of state titles in the pre-SB100 days. They got visits from the CHP so talking about a "tax avoidance" scheme on CC is likely not a good idea. The state people are not stupid and I know some of the NY DMV people monitor sites such as this.

Your results may vary.................

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-04-2020, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Ask the people in Georgia that have be caught with Montana plates in GA. and a GA. driver's license about the "tax fraud" charges and other fines/penalties that have been charged with. Sure there are more new Ferrari's registered in Montana than California (so I am told) but try to transfer the title to one in New York. The other states are onto this game and they want their tax money. Remember tax is to the state like heroin to an addict; they will do ANYTHING to get it!

https://jalopnik.com/georgia-is-crac...ing-1830035589

https://www.ajc.com/news/luxury-car-...DX8EuvYzgNo6J/

And if you have an accident your insurance company may deny the claim based on fraud; the car was not domiciled in the state the accident took place, i.e. the "garaging location" was an address in Montana when in fact the car had never physically been in Montana. We had a customer who looked at a Shelby in California that had Montana reg/title. He took copies of the MT. paperwork to a friend at the New York DMV who told him "run, don't walk from this because we will come after you!"

Some of the older members here will remember "Morgester" who turned out to be the California Attorney General who located many people who had fraudulently registered cars in CA with out of state titles in the pre-SB100 days. They got visits from the CHP so talking about a "tax avoidance" scheme on CC is likely not a good idea. The state people are not stupid and I know some of the NY DMV people monitor sites such as this.

Your results may vary.................
All good input.

To be clear I AM NOT ADVERTISING A TAX FRAUD SCHEME - those are your words.

The Montana process, Florida, Delaware are well know advertised legitimate registration processes. Yes, I am aware of the articles from a few years back. And no doubt there are concerns...like with anything. Heck there likely will be a concern one day that replicas registered as 1965 while legitimate could be viewed as fraud as they are not really 1965 built.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2020, 06:27 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgrice View Post
All good input.

To be clear I AM NOT ADVERTISING A TAX FRAUD SCHEME - those are your words.

The Montana process, Florida, Delaware are well know advertised legitimate registration processes. Yes, I am aware of the articles from a few years back. And no doubt there are concerns...like with anything. Heck there likely will be a concern one day that replicas registered as 1965 while legitimate could be viewed as fraud as they are not really 1965 built.

Jeff
Jeff,

I perhaps did not parse this correctly, I am not accusing you of "promoting tax fraud", all you did was make people aware of an alternate system. I apologize if you took offense, that was not the intent.

I do encourage anyone considering ANY alternate registration system to do due diligence and prevent future issues.

The 1965 registration is not fraud when it done in a state that uses the SEMA system and registers as "year/model replicated". Which would be easier for a LEO to spot: A "2020 Special Construction" or a "1965 Cobra"?

Old 01-04-2020, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Jeff,

I perhaps did not parse this correctly, I am not accusing you of "promoting tax fraud", all you did was make people aware of an alternate system. I apologize if you took offense, that was not the intent.

I do encourage anyone considering ANY alternate registration system to do due diligence and prevent future issues.

The 1965 registration is not fraud when it done in a state that uses the SEMA system and registers as "year/model replicated". Which would be easier for a LEO to spot: A "2020 Special Construction" or a "1965 Cobra"?
All good - thanks for the note!

Jeff
Old 01-08-2020, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So I was looking at the Montana thing but not for tax purposes. In MA the car will be titled as a 2020 because thats the year it was built. Problem is MA will require it to pass emissions which it won't because it doesn't even have an obd. So they make you find a junk car with an engine similar in size ......blah blah blah. Does anyone know if I can do the Montana thing then pay MA tax to satisfy the state.
It would be way easier than doing the whole junk thjng.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:11 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bribx View Post
So I was looking at the Montana thing but not for tax purposes. In MA the car will be titled as a 2020 because thats the year it was built. Problem is MA will require it to pass emissions which it won't because it doesn't even have an obd. So they make you find a junk car with an engine similar in size ......blah blah blah. Does anyone know if I can do the Montana thing then pay MA tax to satisfy the state.
It would be way easier than doing the whole junk thjng.
We have had customers in MA. do the "scrap" thing and it works well. The car scrapped must be currently registered and have an engine of equal or greater displacement. A recent delivery we did the customer bought an on the road 70's Caddy with the 500 CID V8 for $350.00 and sailed through the registration process. You can't use a "junk" car, the car must be on the road so Craigslist is your friend!

Don't make it harder than it needs to be......

Old 01-09-2020, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hope that works for you ! You would think the state would be very happy with just the sales tax.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 01-12-2020, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
We have had customers in MA. do the "scrap" thing and it works well. The car scrapped must be currently registered and have an engine of equal or greater displacement. A recent delivery we did the customer bought an on the road 70's Caddy with the 500 CID V8 for $350.00 and sailed through the registration process. You can't use a "junk" car, the car must be on the road so Craigslist is your friend!

Don't make it harder than it needs to be......
I know what I need as far as a car but I dont know what to do when I find a donor.Do I just take it to a junk yard and depose of it, does it have to have a title, or is a MA registration enough, I thought I read somewhere that I have to title the donor before I can junk it.

Tags
backdraft, massachusetts, registering

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: